EPL-1 vs EP2

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by ting, May 26, 2010.

1. ting

ting New to Mu-43

Apr 12, 2010
    Hi guys,

I'm planning to get a camera within the next 2 weeks or so, but i'm still not decided on the model :frown: Hope to get some advice from the people here who're satisfied with their cameras! :biggrin:

I'm debating between the EPL-1 and EP2,

• supposedly better IQ
    • flash
    • lightweight (?)
    • iAuto mode

• damn handsome :D
    • price is similar to EPL-1 + EVF
    • larger LCD
    • dials...?
    • full metal build

I'm from singapore (prices are in SGD, 1USD = 1.5SGD), and the price for EPL1 + 2 kit lenses = $1240, while EP2 + 14-42 lens + EVF = ~$1600 to $1700. Assuming the EVF is ~$400, that'd make the EPL1+2 lenses+EVF cost as much as EP2 + 1 lens +EVF. Is it worth it to get the EP2? Or should I stick to the EPL1?

I'm an amateur photographer, and part of the reason why I'm getting the camera is for my halfway-across-the-world trip at the end of the year. I'm still a student, so I'm looking for the best deal :biggrin: I understand that it depends on my needs -- basically, I'm looking for a camera that allows me to "scale up", should I decide to pursue photography as a long term hobby.

I'm only leaning towards the EP2 because of it's looks&build :biggrin: and the cost of the EVF =/ Or should I get the EPL1, but with a cheaper EVF?

Those who own an EPL1/EP2, please share :biggrin:

Thank you!
  2. rssarma

rssarma Mu-43 Regular

Apr 1, 2010
    Here's something to consider, if you get the E-PL1 and add the EVF, the price difference isn't much, so the question you really need to ask yourself is, "Do I need the EVF?".

I personally have the E-P2 and while its pricier than what I'd like to pay, its a gorgeous camera with good IQ. The EVF is nice to have, but be careful with it: https://www.mu-43.com/f42/unfortunate-incident-my-e-p2-2448/
    • Like Like x 1
  3. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    If you like the stylish body and don't need the EVF, don't forget the e-p1 IQ is basically on par with the e-p2, but much cheaper now (should be about 1/2 the price, or about 1/5th less than the e-pl1).
  4. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Another member was in a similar decision making quandary, and if you haven't read her thread, you might find it quite helpful, ting: E-PL1 versus E-P2 questions:thumbup:
  5. blackSP

blackSP Mu-43 Regular

Apr 9, 2010
    If you want build quality, style and full manual control there's only one option really...
  6. BBW

From the https://www.mu-43.com/f42/e-pl1-bits-bobs-q-1686/ post #1.
    I'll definitely agree that the E-P2 is much more attractively aesthetically, but it does do manual and it does it well. I am not sure what lack of manual controls you're referring to, blackSP? It certainly does manual focus and has all the settings to shoot Aperture preferred, etc.

P.S. ting, check out that thread I've referred to, if you haven't yet. I am sorry to hear how expensive these cameras are where you live. I am sure that whichever camera you decide to go with that you'll enjoy it very much.:wink:
    • Like Like x 1
  7. blackSP

blackSP Mu-43 Regular

Apr 9, 2010
    OK, it has full manual control but some functions are only accessible through the menu. Depends on the type of photographer you are if that matters or not. The lack of the ep2 control dials and in general fewer external control made choose the ep2. Also the smaller 2.7" screen put me off. The screen is so so as it is (compared to the m43 competition).

Edit: I'm not trying to flame btw, the epl1 is an excellent piece of work!
  8. BBW

Right, I do get what you're saying blackSP. Having had both, I appreciate their often subtle differences. I must say that I need - as in have to have - the EVF...and had it already with my E-P2 so have kept it for the E-PL1.