1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

EPL-1 surprises

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by dixeyk, Aug 20, 2010.

1. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I just got an EPL1 and I have to say that am kind of surprised that the camera is as nice as it is. Based on everything I've been reading all I see is how the EPL1 body is cheap plastic,the UI is unacceptable, the screen is terrible etc.

Well I may not know much but I find the EPL1 to be a joy to use. The body is indeed plastic but it feels well made and sits quite comfortably in the hand. In fact I found it much more comfortable in the hand than the GF1 I played with. The IBIS is terrific and FWIW I don't find the button centric control layout to be particularly problematic. It's a lot like a point and shoot control wise but still quite useful. Even the screen which seems to have generated a good deal of scorn isn't that bad. I have done some MF testing with my OM lenses and it works great (I also like the fact that I can use the VF2 on the EPL1).

:thumbup:

It may be the low end Olympus PEN but I find it to be a well thought out photographic tool. I'm looking forward to getting that M42 adapter in the mail so I can attach my Super Tak 55/1.8.

the other Kevin

• Like Like x 2
  2. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

You're not alone, Kevin - just check out the E-PL1 image thread and add some of your own!:2thumbs:

3. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Congrats on the new camera.

4. John Jarosz

John Jarosz Mu-43 Regular

Jul 29, 2010
    Chicago Area
    Yeah, I've seen so many comments abut how slow the autofocus and a couple of other neg comments. but

I was surprised how fast the autofocus is compared to my of Nikon 5000 Coolpix P&S.

Matter of perspective.

John

5. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Yup...

If you are coming from P&S world, its quite quick.

If you are coming from DSLR world, it feels quite slow.

6. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    yes...

I agree. And there are certain situations where the AF is pretty terrible (as in very low light). But...I bought it because I prefer to shoot with MF lenses and IMHO opinion it is a lot nicer in that respect than most DSLRs because it can be so easily adapted to use just about any MF lens out there. Another huge advantage for me is that when I travel I like to travel light. I spent 3 weeks tooling around Spain and Portugal lugging my DSLR with me and I will never do that again. It was a huge PITA. I had pretty much decided to go Point and shoot on my next trip and just live with the compromises (zoom speed, AF speed, image quality etc.). Th EPL1 is just a tiny bit larger than my Panasonic ZS3 and the difference in shooting with it (and image quality) is like night and day.

So far about the only thing I am wanting that it doesn't have is an EVF but that is easy enough to fix (just gotta sell a few things to fund it :eek:)

7. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    compromises

Every camera is a compromise. It just depends what you looking for and what fits your needs. The EPL1 (and other similar cameras) remind me a lot of my favorite film camera, my Konica Auto S3. Small, light, great lens (or at least the ability to add one on the case of the PENs) with the added convenience of digital workflow.

So far, it's all good.

• Like Like x 1
  8. FaradayCage

FaradayCage Mu-43 Regular

Apr 22, 2010
    While the E-PL1 is kind of ugly as a camera compared to the other EPs, put some really fine glass on an E-PL1 and you'll find it hard to go back to a ZS3 (which I have, use, and still takes better HD movies in some ways). The same goes for a DSLR if you don't like shepherding bricks. You can get amazing images if you use a nice lens. I'm stunned by the quality delivered by adapted Contax G lenses on the E-PL1. When I look at those compared to the images delivered by the same lenses on my old Contax G2 film camera, I can't say I miss the film process any longer.

• Like Like x 1
  9. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    I agree

I have now spent the week noodling with the EPL-1 (although the weather this coming week will be better for getting out) and I find the EPL-1+adapted lens to be very much like using one of my old fixed lens film RF cameras. It's about the same size as my Konica Auto S2.

The output took a bit of getting used to as it doesn't (to my eyes at least) look particularly digital. It looks very film-like. I don't see the need to ever go back to a DSLR. With the 14-42 its a nice small little camera for whatever you want but strap on a legacy lens and it's a whole different animal. As a photographic tool the EPL-1 is waaaaay more fun than my DSLR ever was. Once I can muster up the funds for a VF2 I'll never look back.

So far I've only been able to try out my OM lenses but I have an M42 and Hexanon AR adapter that should be here tomorrow or the next day and then a can try out the Super Takumar 55/2, Hexanon 50/1.7, 135/3.2 and 40/1/8. So far my favorite lens as been my OM 28/2.8.

10. Ogdilla

Ogdilla New to Mu-43

Aug 23, 2010
    Honestly I'm rather impressed by how well the "cheap" plastic body has held up. I used mine for about 6 months and when I sold it I almost couldn't find any scratches anywhere.