1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

EPL-1 or EP2

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by rex87, Jul 24, 2011.

1. rex87

rex87 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 21, 2011
    winnipeg, mb
    hi, im debating of keeping my EPL-1 or selling it for EP2?.
    is EP2 worthy upgrade?.

2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yup, it is. :) It has a much more complete control system, and will make your picture taking more efficient and easier. Plus it has twice the maximum shutter speed.

3. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    Yes and no...max shutter speed is nice, as is the better build and design. I like the thumbwheel I find the lower wheel on the back fiddly and too easily changed when you don't want to. IMHO IQ is not that different in the real world. In prints I haven't been able to tell any difference at all.

4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I think you are comparing the E-PL2, dixeyk, not the E-P2?

The E-P2 has the two dials, which is better than one or none, and I agree that the rotating dial at the bottom (the one that is kept on the E-PL2) is the more difficult one to work with. The thumb dial is awesome, though.

The E-P2 LCD is slightly larger than the E-PL1, but is the same resolution. The LCD on the E-PL2 however, is the nice one so far (though the OLED on the E-P3 is supposedly a lot nicer - it's the same as the XZ-1, so that's not hard to verify). I got along fine with the old generation 220k LCD on the E-P1 and E-P2, but the new generation 460k LCD on the E-PL2 is a lot nicer for manual focusing (besides that though, you won't notice a significant difference). With that LCD I can snap to manual focus about as fast as an SLR, as long as the lighting is not overwhelming. If there's bright sunlight or something on my screen though, then it doesn't work so good... the more vibrant OLED of the E-P3 would probably be better.

As far as Image Quality goes, the E-PL1 is a fair bit ahead of the E-P2, but very slightly behind the E-PL2. I actually think it's essentially the same as the E-PL2 with the weak AA filter and improved processing engine, but was simply not advertised as such. Like a prototype for the upcoming improvements to the E-5 and now E-PL2, brought in under the radar as is Olympus' fashion. Just like the increased responsiveness of the E-PL2 wasn't advertised until the E-P3 came out. Olympus seems to like testing new performance technologies in consumer hands before marketing it as a big new change.

• Like Like x 1
  5. rex87

rex87 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 21, 2011
    winnipeg, mb
    Thanks for the reply Ned and dixeyk it really helps..

6. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    I tell you what...
    Even though I have an E-PL2, I'd be lying if I said that I was NOT tempted by the $349 USD E-P2 body sale that's going on right now...:wink::tongue:

7. Yotsuba

Yotsuba Mu-43 Regular

Feb 28, 2010
    Singapore
    Wow, that's a very good price!

8. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
  9. twmangrove

twmangrove Mu-43 Regular

May 8, 2011
    The Shuswap, B.C.
    The odd one

Okay, I actually preferred the handling on the PL1 more than the EP2 when I tried them out in the store. Sure, the P2 felt more solid, but I realized that folks had drastically undersold the PL1 as it felt pretty solid too. That said, I like the handling of the PL2 even more, and pricewise it's starting to drop like a stone. I've just picked one up used, which was very foolish as soon after I realized I could have had a new one for not much more.
    Between home and work I use about four different cameras, each with its own method of operation. You just adapt and get used to them. Although, I must admit the PL1 has one of the more, um, excessive menu systems I've used. (I kind of wish it had a Fuji film setting, instead of the more Kodak-like setting it comes with in terms of blue/yellow casts - although, wasn't Kodak more of a red cast? I don't remember.).
    Personally, I'd keep the PL1 or get a PL2 (I'm sure the price will drop even more - and you can always find recertified models at newegg). As much as I'd love the EP3, I wouldn't pay that price unless it came with an APS-C-sized sensor and a Fuji-like viewfinder. Er, wait, I guess that would be an X100. Sort of.

10. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    Yeah, I figured out I was comparing the wrong two...I tried to edit my response but you quoted me before I could get to it.

11. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Hehe. Your mistake has now been immortalized! :thumbup:

12. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    Yeah...fame can be so fickle. ;)