1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

epl 1 lens hood

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by irelach1, Dec 8, 2011.

1. irelach1

irelach1 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 4, 2011
    hi im looking for a lens hood for my kit m zuko lens and was wondering what diamater do i need to look for ?

2. BAKatz

BAKatz Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 9, 2010
    Riverdale, NY
    for the EPL-1, it's an odd size. It's 40.5 mm. It's tough finding filters too. There is a place however. On Ebay, keyword HOLGA , find an offering from a vendor called FOTOPUS ( or you could just try searching FOTOPUS ). Click on his offer ( HOLGA lens for m4/3 ). In his store is a heading for PEN series cameras. There you'll find all kinds of stuff for our EPL1s. He also has 40.5-52mm step up rings ( for conversion lenses ), and macro tubes. ( I ordered the step up ring ). Good luck. Hope this helps.

3. drizek

drizek Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 5, 2011
    does a step up ring let you collapse the lens in all the way? I know thats a problem with the 20mm.

4. s0nus

s0nus Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 13, 2010
    Chicago
    My EPL1 with kit 14-42 mk1 kit lens tends to complain about something or other when gently fiddling with a circular polarizer.

I've never been accused of understanding optics, but I would assume that a sagging front element doesn't help the image quality.

5. BAKatz

BAKatz Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 9, 2010
    Riverdale, NY
    I don't know. I haven't gotten it yet. but the ring can also be used to attach a lens hood. the site I mentioned also carries screen hoods.

6. Spuff

Spuff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Berkshire, UK.
    The number after the " ΓΈ " is the thread size. It's on the front of the lens.
    As said it's 40.5 for the 14-42.
    It's 58 for the 40-150 though.

As also said there's a lot more choice of stuff with 52 (or 58) threads, so it's probably going to be better to get a 40.5 to 52 adaptor and find a 52 whatever.

7. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    40.5mm was used for rangefinder lenses. Many metal Leica hoods fit (they often come in 40.5mm or 46mm), and B+W has a rubber hood for that size.

8. BAKatz

BAKatz Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 9, 2010
    Riverdale, NY
    Yeah, 58mm is much more common. something else rectified after the EPL-1 came out. Sometimes I wonder who engineered this camera.

9. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    That's a good size for filters, but for a hood I would go a little closer. 49mm is extremely common as well, and won't look odd on a 40.5mm lens. 46mm is about as easy to find as 40.5mm (they are both for rangefinder lenses), so that would be a pointless step-up. However, I find it difficult to find step-up rings to take you out of a 40.5mm as the rings are mostly in SLR lens sizes.

10. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    3 Nikon 1 system camera lenses use the 40.5mm size filters so I expect more stuff to be around :smile:

That being said, I purchased a 40.5mm Hoya CP for my E-PL1 that works quite well as long as you're careful with the 14-42 front element rotation. :smile:

11. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    ...or maybe less.

I used to be able to get 40.5mm filter accessories at my local camera exchange. When I went there 2 years after the Olympus PEN came out, the old man told me that he used to have lots of 40.5mm stuff but they've been getting quickly bought out over the past couple years... so he had nothing left for me. :rolleyes: He couldn't understand why. Of course, I don't think they were all being bought by PEN users, but just from the general resurgence of rangefinder-like cameras, which the PEN helped to bring back.

That's more of an isolated case, though. I actually think that the Nikon 1 in reality will bring a lot more 40.5mm accessories to the table. Yay! Now I wish Olympus would abandon the 37mm thread and go back to 40.5mm like it originally started doing. ;)