Epl-1 kit w/40-150mm lens or Lumix G2

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by thechromeguy, Jul 6, 2011.

1. thechromeguy

thechromeguy New to Mu-43

Jul 6, 2011
    There's a lot of good deals out there lately, I'm confused between getting an EPL-1 kit with an extra 40-150mm or a Lumix G2.

I currently own the following cameras fuji hs10(got one for last year for family vacation) , pentax w80( horrible camera ) and a lumix FP1(great pocket camera got it on sale). I don't have a DSLR, but got to use a nikon d3100 with a 35mm lens in my day job. Love the quality of the lens but the combo is just out of my budget.

Now what attracted me on getting a m43 is being able to use my dads old pentax (no prime lens), canon FD 50mm and a rikonon 55 lens. I had them in a box for 12 years I figured when I had the money I could use them. I was really surprised how good they look even after the storage with the exception of an EOS lens that developed some molds.

Now I have a $100 Amazon gift card and confused about the E-PL1 or the G2?

Thanks for the help everyone been lurking in this forum for months.

2. theunartist

theunartist Mu-43 Regular

Jul 5, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    I think they're both super cameras and would not turn either one down as a gift... :smile:

However, I was never comfortable with any camera that did not have some kind of Viewfinder. This is the reason I have the G10 and not the Olympus, which I love because of Image Stabilization but the no viewfinder couldn't be overcome. I use plenty of manual focus lenses and could never imagine using them w/o a viewfinder.

3. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I went from an E-PL1 to a G2 and do not regret it. The E-PL1 is a terrific camera (and I even had the VF2 as well so the EVF wasn't an issue). The G2 is an absolute joy to shoot with and as good as the E-PL1 is I wouldn't go back go back for anything.

4. thechromeguy

thechromeguy New to Mu-43

Jul 6, 2011
    True a great viewfinder is a plus right now here are my choices along with their prices.

Amazon:
    EPL-1 kit w/40-150mm - $500 to $550
    Adorama:
    Lumix G2 - 470 w/tax

I was even thinking of just getting a lumix G2 and going fully manual with old lenses which would cost me $300 for the body. But someone told me I'll go nuts without a modern lens.

5. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    It's a hard choice because of IS on Oly but I would choose G2 like I'm doing.

6. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    It's all about Ibis or no Ibis. For the IQ I would not worry because in practical use it's difficult to see the difference in jpegs even if Oly's are wonderfull.

7. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I go for weeks without putting a native lens on my G2. It's nice to have an AF lens as an option but It's pretty painless to use legacy glass. The VF is terrific and the controls make using legacy glass really easy (I love the thumbwheel).

8. theunartist

Jul 5, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    You'll love the older manual lenses but if you're like me, the option to use a fully automatic lens is really appreciated when you want to take a break...

9. theunartist

Jul 5, 2011
    Baltimore, MD