ep5 shutter shock, release lag--best settings?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by oly.sol, Feb 28, 2016.

1. oly.sol

oly.sol Mu-43 Regular

Nov 14, 2015
    Cambridge, MA
    what are the recommended settings for ep5 users. i've read several threads on this and the answers seem to be all over the place, but these threads are kind of old so i'm hoping that things are clearer (no pun intended) now.

is it 0 sec shutter and both normal and short release are fine? or is there actually a benefit in terms of sharpness to using the short release?
  2. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    According to a few well made homemade tests I've seen on DPR short release could help a little with the shutter shock problem (with other cameras). It consumes more battery though.

EM1 shuter shock measurment: Micro Four Thirds Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Personally I would do a couple of simple tests at the critical shutter speeds: if you cannot see any difference in your typical shooting situation there is no need to use it.
  3. peter124

peter124 Mu-43 Regular

The link in Klorenzo's post gives a very clear view of when shutter shock occurs. The bottom line is that the 0 sec delay function eliminates the problem. There is a small difference between normal and short release priority, but it is very small. Most of the benefit comes from the 0 sec delay.

Out of interest, I did the same 'moving point' test, shown in the link, on my new E-P5. Before enabling 0 sec delay, shutter shock was terrible, much worse than on my E-M5, or for that matter, my E-PL2. This in in agreement with early test review report that E-P5 had a bad shutter shock problem. The silver lining here is that it finally triggered Olympus to find a fix, so I suppose we should be grateful! And, yes, after enabling 0 sec ln my E-P5, the moving point test gives a nice straight line on the oscilloscope display.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Yong

Yong Mu-43 Regular

Sep 25, 2014
    I found no difference between normal and short shutter lag release settings. Nevertheless I set it to short since I don't like the keen metal sound of shutter release when it is leaved at normal setting. Short lag setting give me somewhat more subdued sound and less vibration.