1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

EP5, RF603c II and YN560 iii

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by uhhitsfuzzy, Jul 25, 2014.

1. uhhitsfuzzy

uhhitsfuzzy Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 19, 2013
    anyone has the same set up? If so, pls help on how to sync all 3. Any link for instructions and trouble shooting would be nice.

yn560 and RF603 are already in the same channel and the flash still wont go off. HELP PLS!

2. LowTEC

LowTEC Mu-43 Regular

You may need to activate fill in flash within the camera. In the mean time, make sure you have the transceiver switched to transmitter mode, you can test flash by pressing the big round button in the transceiver, the flash should go off with it without attaching the camera

3. baumann

baumann New to Mu-43

Can you trigger the yn560 with the button on the rf603? If so, put it in the hotshoe and put camera on fill flash. If not, something is wrong in the channel settings or the settings in the flash! The flash needs to be in the mode where the wifi-like icon shows and the light is blue.

4. inkista

inkista Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 13, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Check how the RF-603II is seated on the hotshoe.

Make sure you've got fresh batteries in everything.

Check that you weren't looking at the RF-603's channel dip switches upside-down when you set them. :)

Make sure the YN-560III is in the Rx slave mode. I.e., is not in S1 or S2. Those modes are telling the flash to listen to the red sensor panel, and not the radio Rx, or the hotshoe.

Make sure the YN-560III custom function is set to listen to a 603, not a 602 [p. 48 of the manual]

Just me, but if these are newly-purchased items, and you're within the return period, you may also want to consider swapping out the RF-603II for a YN-560-TX so you'll have remote control over the power level of the flash. Assuming you can get everything to work, and you still have faith in Yongnuo products. :D

5. deltakilo

deltakilo Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 12, 2014
    Perth, Australia
    Dennis
    An old thread being revived and sharing same problem as OP. An E-P5, 2 x Yongnuo RF-603Cii triggers and Nissin Di622 flash. Made me rather annoyed after reading others having success with the 603ii's and Oly bodies.

Whilst the Nissin flash was okay for my needs I decided to splurge and get the Yongnuo YN560III flash; just in case it was a flash incompatability. Nope, no difference.
    Both flashes fire fine on the camera. Both flashes can be remote triggered by pressing the big button on the 603s trigger. Neither flash though will fire by the camera.via the 603.

I even removed 4 of the pins on one of the triggers thus leaving only the centre fire pin in case of any rogue TTL signal interference. Still no dice.

Having just got the 603ii's which are supposed to work with the EP5, I'm in 2 minds about getting a YN560-TX trigger in case that doesn't work either?

6. inkista

inkista Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 13, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Check the seating of the transmitter on the camera hotshoe. 9 times out of 10 it's mis-seating that causes a misfire, and yes, it happens even on my Canons.

• Like Like x 1
  7. NoTan2

NoTan2 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 16, 2014
    Newcastle NSW Australia
    Paul
    Hi Dennis,

Welcome to the forum.

I can't really assist much with the 603 trigger but I have a set of Cactus V5 triggers and a YN560iii and YN568EX which I originally bought to use with my D7000. I have used them on my E-M5 with no issues but not on my E-P5.

I just tried the combo on my E-P5 and it just worked first time. I didn't need to touch any of the menus. The Cactus V5 only has a single contact so it doesn't really prove anything regarding the 603cii which I think you said has extra contacts but I believe you have covered that off.

To reinforce what inkista said, the only time I've had problems is due to either of the hotshoes not seating properly.

I just did a search for rf603cii and found a poster on another forum who has successfully used the trigger on an E-M10 so it ought to work on your E-P5.

8. deltakilo

deltakilo Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 12, 2014
    Perth, Australia
    Dennis
    Cheers guys,
    Seating isn't the issue as single pin is dead bang in centre contact of hotshoe. Lots of sping tension too and real tough cow to get on with all 5 pins. Much easier with the modded single pin unit :)

I've just had a thought though. What are other peoples values in the Custom menu (tab F) for Flash X-Sync and Flash Slow Limit? It doesn't matter which Oly body so long as you're having a win using remote flash firing of course.

I've just been reading through the EP5 & EM10 destruction manuals and I can't remember if I had a tinker with this setting during first initial setup months ago and don't have access to my EP5 for a couple days to check it.

9. NoTan2

NoTan2 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 16, 2014
    Newcastle NSW Australia
    Paul
    E-P5:-
    X-Sync - 1/320
    Slow Limit - 1/60

E-M5:-
    X-Sync - 1/250
    Slow Limit - 1/60

10. deltakilo

deltakilo Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 12, 2014
    Perth, Australia
    Dennis
    I think I must be dang unlucky and received 2 dud 603ii's which refuse to be fired by the camera. :eek:(

The facts:
    a. DIP switches (channel setting) are matched.
    b. 603 on flash in TRX mode.
    c. 603 on the camera in TX mode.
    d. Camera shutter speed tested between 60-320
    e. Camera tried with both 'Fill Flash' and 'Manual Full Power' modes.

1. Both flashes fire when directly mounted in the EP5 hotshoe.
    2. Both flashes will fire when pressing remote button on 603 when 603 is held in hand.
    3. Both flashes will fire when pressing remote button on 603 when 603 is in EP5 hotshoe.
    3a. The YN560ii fires when using either it's inbuilt receiver or if connected to 603.
    4. these 603 triggers not returnable.

Now; whether to take gamble with 2 new Canon 603ii triggers or try the Nikon variant as I've read they 'may' have shorter contact pins. The Canons I got are very difficult to get in the hotshoe without pushing pins up with a fingernail. I like the idea of the 560-TX but it is a tad on the bulky side.

11. inkista

inkista Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 13, 2012
    San Diego, CA
  12. deltakilo

deltakilo Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 12, 2014
    Perth, Australia
    Dennis
    Those postings relate to older versions of flash and trigger #inksta, not newer models that I have. Wireless signal is definately being received by both flashes because I can test fire them by pressing the remote trigger button; just no signal getting triggered when 603ii is on the camera. :(

Most postings I've seen have been with m43 users using the 603ii Canon models and one or 2 having success with the Nikon variants. I'm going to try and find more success stories with the Nikon version in the hope they work ..and.. have shorter pins. Google here I come again ....

13. inkista

inkista Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 13, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Have you tried swapping the units? Longshot, but maybe only one of them doesn't work correctly in Tx mode.

14. deltakilo

deltakilo Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 12, 2014
    Perth, Australia
    Dennis
    Yup. Been there and tried to no avail. Have ordered a couple of 603II's for Nikon. If they refuse to work as well I'll be real cranky pants but at least I have Nikon DSLR to test and confirm if working.

In hindsight, should have got the Nikons first except I'd only read of people using the Canon 603ii's, not the Nikon ones.

15. deltakilo

deltakilo Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 12, 2014
    Perth, Australia
    Dennis
    After a very long wait for the slow eBay boat from China, my Nikon versions of the RF603ii's triggers have arrived and ....

W O O H O O O ... they work with the EP5 :)

Out of curiosity I took off the Nikon trigger from the camera and put on one of the Canon triggers and still nothing. Thus I can only presume I had 2 x dud Canon 603ii triggers.

I was also happy to see that the contact pins are just that tiny bit shorter on the Nikons making it easier to slide the trigger onto the camera. The Canon versions were a cow to get on. The actual metal foot plate on the Nikon trigger is slightly thinner than on the Canon ones which might be a factor in making it easier to slide onto the camera's shoe?

• Like Like x 1