EP5 - possible software update for Shutter Shock

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by D7k1, Apr 10, 2014.

1. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    From DPreview m43 forum:

"Thank you for your e-mail regarding our product.

We apologize for any inconvenience for the blurred/shaken images at certain shutter speeds.

As you know "anti-shock 0sec" for E-M1 has been updated and we believe that this update can help to resolve the shutter shock issue you mentioned.

At this point, there are no firmware updates for E-P5 to resolve the shutter shock issue.

However, we are planning to update the firmware for E-P5 similar to "anti-shock 0sec" as well. Please wait for the update to be released for a while.

We are sorry but we are not able to tell you when the update will be released at this point. Please check Olympus homepage from time to time for the latest information of firmware.

We appreciated your kind cooperation and understanding,
    looking forward to see your satisfaction on our service and product.

Best regards,

C.Nishino
    Customer Support Center
    OLYMPUS IMAGING CORP. Tokyo, Japan"

Will be interesting.

• Like Like x 3
  2. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    If it's genuine, then this is very good news indeed!!

3. rfortson

rfortson Mu-43 Veteran

Cool. That's good support. I haven't seen it with my camera, but glad they're doing this. Hope it helps those affected.

4. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    There is a link to a Google translation on the DPR fourm if any one wants to check it out. Who knows, but sometimes the information on DPR turns out to be true. Just the tone of this posting made me feel that is had a pretty good chance of being true. I haven't seen it with my EP5, but it would go a long way to fix the reputation of what I think is a great camera. And yes, it would be thumbs up to Olympus for doing such a fix.

5. Reesebass

Reesebass Mu-43 Regular

Nov 5, 2013
    Yes! My E-P5 clearly and SS issues and and general lack of sharpness compared to my previous cams E-PL2 and E-M5. Hopefully the fix is true though.

6. pdk42

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I'm really hoping it's true, but the E-P5 is nearing end of life so Oly probably don't have a lot of incentive to fix it. OTOH, the sensor is shared with the E-M5 and E-M10 so it's just possible...

7. Reesebass

Reesebass Mu-43 Regular

Nov 5, 2013
    Im going to be really disappointed if they won't fix the SS issue.
    Not much to improve with the E-P5 until the next gen sensor arrives and it won't be probably before E-M1 mark II. They could do a model with viewfinder built in but i actually prefer the idea of attachable VF with the PEN series.
    But currently the E-P5 is up do date with the E-M1 and E-M10, since they updated the wifi features. Ok, forgot the video, but simple firmware update could also fix that. E-P5 is a flagship PEN camera and imo there is no need to bring out a new model each year.
    Firmware updates could really help the E-P5 to gain value, but priority number one is fixing the shutter shock issue.

8. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    This is reassuring. I'd written them a while ago as well, but other than sending me a reference number I never heard anything back from them.

9. SS76

SS76 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 2, 2013
    Cool! I just found out about this, but there is nothing to say that this is truly going to happen. I emailed them today to validate this.

10. pdk42

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I wouldn't hold your breath for an answer!

11. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    Like the guy at DPR says, if enough of us send emails we might at least get a confirmation if a not a release date. I just went to Olympusamerica and sent one also.

12. htc

htc Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 11, 2011
    Finland
    Harry
    Yess!!! I still have some time to find that shutter shock before it's gone, again.

13. pdk42

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Wow, that's really good news!

14. Reesebass

Reesebass Mu-43 Regular

Nov 5, 2013
    The update should surface today, fingers crossed!

15. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    According to 43rumors, there has been a delay in the release. Nothing major, according to the source. In case you're wondering why I care, I have a refurb one coming from Cameta,.

16. SS76

SS76 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 2, 2013
  17. pdk42

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Just did it too - I diubt it'll change anything much, but what the hell?!

18. cptobvious

cptobvious Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 8, 2013
    I also sent a message requesting the firmware update for the 0 second anti-shock setting.

19. SS76

SS76 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 2, 2013
    I got the following response from Olympus:

Thank you for contacting Olympus Technical Support. We are sorry to learn of the situation.

We appreciate your comments and concerns, and have forwarded these comments to the appropriate department for review and consideration.

We are hoping for the next firmware update for the E-P5 camera to include the 0 sec anti shock function Unfortunately, at this time we do not have an exact date or more detailed information for the next firmware update version for E-P5 camera, but we are hoping for this to be released soon. Please stay tuned for future firmware updates for the E-P5 camera, by checking at the following web page:

http://www.olympus.co.jp/en/support/imsg/digicamera/download/software/firm/e1/

Best Regards,

Olympus Technical Support
    Olympus Imaging America Inc.
    Toll Free Technical Support Hotline 1-888-553-4448

• Like Like x 2