EP5 - Interesting Comments by Robin Wong regarding Focus Peaking

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by sokar, Jun 23, 2013.

1. sokar

sokar Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 30, 2011
    Robin Wong had started reviewing the EP5 and has some interesting comments regarding the focus peaking abilities of this camera with manual lenses. It may be a firmware glitch, or lenses without electronic contacts may not be compatible with the focus peaking functionality of the EP5.

The link to his blog and his comments below.

Robin Wong: Olympus PEN E-P5 Review: Street Shooting and Pudu Wet Market

“Unfortunately, I have to drop a bomb this early: the focus peaking did NOT work with the CCTV lens. When using a manual lens with no electronic contacts, I find NO way to activate the focus peaking! Believe me I have tried digging all the menu system and press all buttons, and if I am wrong in this I would GLADLY be corrected (this is the one time that I wish I am wrong, believe me). Focus Peaking on the E-P5 does not work with manual lenses. I could not use the CCTV lens to test the focus peaking, hence I chucked the idea of using the CCTV lens altogether. So much for an interesting, unconventional plan to do a review differently this time!“
  2. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    In my opinion, this is typical Olympus. Why do they always have to only make half-assed attempts to implement something? Just like their electronic level which is completely useless for me because you can see EITHER the level OR other shooting info, but not both at the same time.
  3. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I suspect they'll fix this one in firmware. Might take some howling, like with the OMD video stabilization issue.
  4. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    I understand the design philosophy that would lead to this sort of implementation, but seriously, what were they thinking? The single biggest reason to have focus peaking is to aid in accurate focusing with legacy lenses. Groan...
  5. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    rob collins
    Can you explain that a bit. I cant think of a design philosophy for focus peaking not to work on legacy lenses. Sounds almost too bad to be true.
  6. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    Firmware 0.9 ?????
  7. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    rob collins
    Well he claims it is a production model. However, I do think that he probably just didnt press the right buttons. Here is a video review of the EP5 with focus peaking.

[ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gnUz8NAStw]Olympus E-P5 Review - Adapted, Legacy & Manual Lenses - YouTube[/ame]
  8. PaulGiz

PaulGiz Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 3, 2013
    Rhode Island, USA
    I'll try to find it, but in at least of the official Olympus press releases, focus peaking with legacy lenses is mentioned.

I like Robin Wong, but remember, he's just a guy. Also remember, Olympus menus can be frustrating.

I'm sure he's wrong on this one.

Honestly, if he got a pre-production model from Olympus, I'm assuming he has a contact at the company to help with stuff like this.

NOTE: ARTICLE HAS BEEN CORRECTED. As many have conjectured, focus peaking is of course available with adapted and non-electronic native lenses.

9. Johnny_Alucard

Johnny_Alucard Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 28, 2013
    I thought it was really strange that the option to turn on focus peaking is totally buried in the menu system, and not where you'd expect to find it. Even the Oly rep had trouble finding it when I asked about it! Maybe there's another equally unintuitive setting that needs to be changed for it to work with legacy glass.
  10. PaulGiz

PaulGiz Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 3, 2013
    Rhode Island, USA
    I don't think it's odd at all. Remember some 90% of purchasers of this camera (they're not all like us) will never, ever use adapted lenses, and nearly that many will never use manual focus on a native lens. Autofocus has been with us for 30 years now, and is taken for granted as the norm for everyone except geezers, pros and a few enthusiasts.

11. fuSi0n

fuSi0n Mu-43 Regular

Jan 11, 2013
    Bavaria, Germany
    Robin Wrong was obviously wrong. Its working with manual lenses. See his statement and 43rumors.com.
  12. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    As an engineer it's a fairly straightforward thing to have the software change modes and display the focus peaking information in response to a signal from the manual focus ring being turned. Without that signal you'd have to leave it on or off all the time since the camera would have no way of knowing when you want to see it and when you don't. Providing a way to change the on/off function for Legacy lenses would evidently need to be buried deep in the Olympus menu system. Perhaps they expect people to develop a special Myset like the OM-D trick that was discovered to map it to a button.
  13. FrayAdjacent

FrayAdjacent Mu-43 Regular

Dec 5, 2012
    Austin, TX
    WHAT? The MAJOR reason I want Focus Peaking is for using my manual lenses!

If Oly did the same thing on the EM-5, I'd do a MAJOR faceplant. I'd still LOVE my EM-5, tho.
  14. Dalton

Dalton Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2010
    Portland, Oregon USA
    Dan Ferrall
    Issue cleared up...It works.

Robin has acknowledged that he made a mistake. Robin is one of the more reliable people offering useful commentary on gear. He made an unfortunate mistake in this case. He is a person of integrity and apologized for the error. Focus peaking does work. Quite a few people got their knickers all in a bunch before verifying whether what Robin said was actually accurate or not.

I think all of us need to be careful to validate statements people make before accepting any particular statement as fact.

15. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    I'm glad that this issue was actually wrong, but it wouldn't have surprised me at all if it had been the case. When Olympus first implemented IBIS in the E-5xx series, they didn't activated it with manual lenses - it took a huge outcry from the user-base for them to change the firmware to incorporate the ability to manually program the focal length for it work on legacy glass. When I first read the OP, to quote Yogi Berra: "it was like deja-vu all over again".
  16. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Just another issue with confusing Olympus menus but once someone points out how to get to something it's solved.

I think it's about time Olympus did something about it. Contract a Sony guy to do the menus or something.
  17. Nordiquefan

Nordiquefan Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2013
    I realize this is off topic and I'm not not sure what camera you have, but I discovered by accident just yesterday that it is possible to have both on the OM-D using the EVF. I didn't try using the LCD. Hopefully I'll be able to do it again.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Mu-43 mobile app
  18. cmpatti

cmpatti Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Berkeley, CA
    I find the level quite useful, but using it does require toggling back and forth between different viewfinder information settings. I generally switch to the level when I'm just ready to press the shutter release.
  19. merosen

merosen Mu-43 Regular

Jun 14, 2012
    Somerville (Boston), MA
    I get the level in both viewfinder and live view overlaid on the viewed image