1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

EP5 I.S. Question

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by tkc9789, Feb 1, 2014.

1. tkc9789

tkc9789 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2013
    Dallas, TX
    When a Panasonic lens with O.I.S. is mounted on the EP5, how can I tell if the camera or the lens is doing IS? I have my EPL5 IS set to S-IS1 and tried flipping the OIS switch on the lens, the IS icon remains S-IS1. Didn't observed any changes on the LCD display. Did I miss something?

2. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    There are two cases.

If the lens has an OIS switch, the body can't control the OIS at all (it doesn't even know it's available). So you should either have S-IS enabled in the camera, or the OIS switch turned on, but not both (the two systems will conflict).

If the lens does not have an OIS switch, then if you enable S-IS in the camera, it will use either the body stabilization, or the lens stabilization (OIS), depending on whether 'Len IS Priority' (Menu -> Wrench -> C) is off or on. If 'Lens IS Priority' is on, it uses OIS, otherwise it uses IBIS.

Obviously for lenses without OIS (Olympus or Panasonic), the setting for 'Lens IS Priority' won't matter - you will get sensor stabilization when S-IS is enabled.

• Like Like x 1
  3. I can't guarantee that it works the same on the E-PL5, but something that I like about the E-P5 is that the camera won't allow both IS systems to operate at the same time.

4. tkc9789

tkc9789 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2013
    Dallas, TX
    I do have Lens IS Priority and S-IS1 set on the camera. If a lens with OIS set to "on" is mounted, there'll be a conflict then? Will the conflict impact IQ? I wish the camera will give us a warning or something.

5. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Well, what do you know - I thought it did let both systems engage, but it looks like I was mistaken. To quote Olympus's webpage: "*When a lens with IS on/off switch is used, the lens's IS switch setting is given priority regardless of the setting of the lens IS priority in the camera." I could have sworn I had problems on the E-PM2 with the 14-45, but it must have been something else at work.

Disregard what I said in the other post - sorry for the confusion.

You should be fine regardless of the combination of OIS/S-IS settings - OIS switch apparently takes priority when its switched on, and when not, the 'lens IS priority' setting determines which is used.

6. tkc9789

tkc9789 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2013
    Dallas, TX
    Thanks for taking time to help out. This forum rocks!

7. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    It's a pity the recent E-M5 firmware upgrade didn't carry this feature over. The "Lens IS Priority" setting doesn't exist on the E-M5.