1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

EP5 at Yankee Game

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Swandy, Jul 14, 2013.

1. Swandy

Swandy Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2009
    and before anyone suggests how "unsharp" the image is - EP5, 40-150 lens, Digital Teleconverter, hand held shot from second deck, half way down the 3rd baseline, OOC JPEGs - noise filter set to LOW. Nothing done in PP aside from importing to Aperture and reducing JPEG size for posting. Pretty good IMHO considering the conditions (cloudy with a light mist falling at the time and settings.

2. Uncle Frank

Uncle Frank Photo Enthusiast

Jul 26, 2012
    San Jose, CA
    Frank
    You've described the perfect conditions to create a sample image that doesn't do the ep5 justice. :rolleyes: How about showing some shots more representative of its excellence?

How do you like its handling? Did you get the vf4? Is it amazing?

3. MarkRyan

MarkRyan Instagram: @MRSallee

May 3, 2013
    California
    There's a thread for that :)

4. Swandy

Swandy Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2009
    I love the handling. Much better than the EP3 that I had (hated the control wheel/thumbwheel that it had) and in my opinion better than the EM5 with it's smaller buttons.
    I live the VF4 - and yes it is amazing. Much better than the EM5's as far as size, view and color matching the LCD. And since I only use it in certain circumstances, I like the ability to remove it when I don't want to use it. (BTW - using the EP5 with the long lens at Yankee Stadium was one of those circumstances.)

As far as "better shots", these were with the 17mm.

5. Uncle Frank

Uncle Frank Photo Enthusiast

Jul 26, 2012
    San Jose, CA
    Frank
    Those are much better testimonials for the ep5.

6. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Just a question...why do you use the "Digital Teleconverter" instead of just cropping in post processing? (Not hating, just wondering, that's all!)

7. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    The "Digital Teleconverter" maintains pixel pitch (at least on Olympus cameras, don't know about other brands), cropping does not.

8. Swandy

Swandy Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2009
    Basically testing to see how it was. What I found on my XZ-1, XZ-2 and the EM5 (same sensor/processor) is that the camera did a better job of cropping and resizing the JPEGs when using the digital teleconverter than I was able to get just cropping in PP software. So I was curious how the EP5 would do. Unfortunately, since my preferred RAW converter (Apple Aperture) has yet to be updated, I could not do a quick comparison. I did save a few of the shots as JPEG+RAW to play around in Olympus Viewer, but really don't like the software and have not looked at them yet.

9. Swandy

Swandy Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2009
    Thanks Uncle Frank. The first shot - as you said - did not really show what the camera could do. But I was pretty happy under the circumstances.

10. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I really like the baseball shot. Seriously. And I'm a Red Sox fan.

11. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Ah, that's what I thought (about the Digi Tele thing)...Does it look better than a straight crop? Does it "fill in" the picture, then?

12. Swandy

Swandy Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2009
    Have not looked at the few RAWs yet and the OOC JPEG when you use the digital teleconverter is only the "cropped" shot. From what I have read, the camera's processor crops the shot and then then upsizes it to get it back to the original number of MP. Don't know all the techie stuff, but it seems to work pretty good.

13. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Yeah, I'm guessing it just looks at the pixels surrounding the empty spaces, and fills them in with similar pixels...