1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

EP5 & 14-42 EZ Zuiko or 12-32 Panny

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by SS76, Apr 14, 2014.

1. SS76

SS76 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 2, 2013
    So while I wait for my EP5 to arrive and I will be selling my EPL5 with 14-42 II R, I am looking for a general walk around lens.

I have been looking at different options include the 12-35 F2.8 & 12-40 F2.8 options, but those are too big and expensive as far as I'm concerned. I want something pancake small, doesn't have to be particularly fast but want something that is sharp. I already have my 12mm F2 for low light indoors so I am covered there.

12-32

- I like the 12mm FOV, always have

- reviews are generally good (Sharp) with some side softness reported at 12mm

- solid build construction

- worried about the CA effects on my Oly body as I hate to PP photo's

14-42 ez

- I like the compact form factor, smallest pancake out there

- I like the mechanical zoom for video but have gotten used to manually zooming a lens now

- worried about image quality however if its on par with my current kit lens, that is good enough for me recognizing tradeoffs of having a small collapsible lens

- Wish it started at 12mm but like the extra reach (although this is not important as with my compact travel zoom, 80% of my pictures were at 12mm)

What are your thoughts hopefully based on your real world experiences? Again, my purpose is good light general walk around lens to use on my EP5. Good for travelling, landscapes, Street photography, etc. My current kit includes the 40-150 Zuiko, the 12mm F2, and the 45mm F1.8.

2. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Have you considered Panasonic 14-42 II? It's pretty compact and lightweight too although not a pancake form. On a bright side, there is no unlocking needed before use and it's basically internal zooming (almost does not extend).
    Reviews indicate that the IQ is similar to the original Panny 14-45. I used to have that lens and loved the sharpness.
    I am going on vacation soon and decided to try out the Panny with my E-M10. Will report once I receive the lens.
    I am intrigued by 12-32 also but IQ reports are mixed and I'd like to have 42mm.

3. SS76

SS76 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 2, 2013
    I didn't consider it because my "perception" from user reports is that it is significantly inferior to the regular 14-42 II R Panny. Now, I have nothing to back up the accuracy of that statement, and I believe reports of shutter shock was significant on the Panny PZ. What a marriage that would be, shutter shock happy EP5 with shutter shock prone Panny PZ!!!! lol.

The look of the Black 12-32 along with the EP5 with comparable build quality seems a great match, while giving me 12mm. So I am leaning this way, but not completely sold yet.

4. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    The reviews say that optically, the 12-32 is the best of the bunch, but no manual focus. And 43rumors posted about a firmware update coming that will hopefully fix the shutter shock.

5. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Actually, that's a combo I'm trying right now and I don't see any evidence of blurring. There's also the strong likelihood that we'll get electronic first curtain on the e-p5 via firmware update this week:

http://www.43rumors.com/ft5-e-p5-fi...-adds-anti-shock-feature-same-as-on-the-e-m1/

6. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    I think you're talking about a different lens.

Art was recommending the Panasonic Lumix 14-42 II. It's compact kit zoom but it's not a pancake and doesn't retract the way the Olympus 14-42 II R. Despite that, it's basically the same size, and the image quality is somewhat better, which means it should also be better than the Olympus 14-42 EZ.

The Panasonic Lumix X PZ 14-42 is something else entirely - a pancake power-zoom with no manual-control of the zoom or focus (you have a rocker switch, like on some digicams).

7. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Correction - some further testing tonight has identified blurring at around 1/180th sec. Dang! Doesn't happen with my 45/1.8, so it's obviously a lens/camera combination. It's the first time I've reliably introduced shutter shock on the E-P5 so at least I've got a test bed for when the new firmware comes out!

8. SS76

SS76 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 2, 2013
    You are right, I was thinking he was talking about the PZ lens. THanks for the clarification

9. SS76

SS76 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 2, 2013
    12-32mm is on the way. Thanks folks for your opinions on this.