EP3: Some Shots around Boston

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by WT21, Jul 31, 2011.

1. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Some pictures from Boston. All using the EP3 with 20mm/1.7.

Couple sitting at Frog Pond (no focus and recompose. Sat there with the camera on my leg, and fired off a number of shots. Some focused on this couple, other times of kids wading by) -- I've got to better learn how to convert to B&W :(
    20110730-P7300437.

My daughters favorite sneakers (in Dramatic Tone -- thanks Ray for turning me onto this art filter!)
    20110730-P7300442.

Frogs at Frog Pond (Dramatic Tone again)
    20110730-P7300462.

Woman and baby (Dramatic Tone -- no focus and recompose. Just touch the screen at the right moment, and the fast AF did the rest)
    20110730-P7300443.

• Like Like x 5
  2. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    That shot of your daughters sneaker should be framed and hung!

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 App

• Like Like x 2
  3. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Love the shot of the sneaker and the last, of the little one reaching out to the mother's chin!

-Ray

• Like Like x 1
  4. Jorg.S

Jorg.S Mu-43 Regular

Beautiful shots but the sneaker one really stands out for me.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Great set of shots. That touchscreen looks like a winner.

• Like Like x 1
  6. jim_khoo

jim_khoo Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 9, 2010
    Kuala Lumpur
    ray, wt21
    is there a where in predicting the outcome with dramatic art filter?
    i can't seems to figure it out??? :tongue:

7. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    Nice set of photo's, the tennis shoe shot is fantastic !!! The dramatic tone art filter is really cool.

8. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I just started using it. Are you finding the results unpredictable, or not what you see on the LCD? I'll have to test it out a bit more.

9. LovinTheEP2

LovinTheEP2 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Some nice shots, but they seem overexposed. Is that your style to show on the bright side?

10. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    In the first shot the couple is in shadow and backlit. In the fourth shot, the sun is behind the subject to the left. I exposed for the subjects, and also did almost no post processing.

The others use dramatic tone art filter. My guess is that it pushes for greater contrast. I didn't honestly play with it that much.

I think I do favor brighter to darker treatments.

11. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    I haven't actually been using it in the "ART" mode from the mode dial. If you use it there, you see it on the screen in 'dramatic tone' view as you frame the shot. And from just playing around with it, I think it gives a reasonable facsimile of what the shot will look like, but NO shot looks quite the same when you're framing it as when you actually see it later on your monitor. But its not bad.

But I use it in regular aperture priority mode with art filter "bracketing" turned on and ONLY the dramatic tone filter enabled (I think you can have up to three art filters enabled, so if you like to see your shot a few different ways, there you go). So every exposure I take produces two jepgs, one plain old jpeg without any effects, and another with the dramatic tone filter applied. That way, if I like the way the shot looks with the art filter, I use it, but if not, I still have the basic shot to use or to process further in Silver Efex or some other program. And when you use it that way, you don't see it in the screen as you're framing the shot - you just see the normal view of the regular shot with no effects applied to it. So you never see what it WILL look like - you only see what it DID look like after you take the exposure and then review both versions of the shot.

In terms of the alleged "over-exposure" of WT21's shots in the initial post, the dramatic tone filter DEFINITELY processes for much greater than normal contrast, so highlights are often blown and shadows are often no retrievable. In fact, really dark and really light parts of a scene are all but turned to black and white. The only thing I've done with the dramatic tone files if I didn't like them was try to de-saturate them some and that helps sometimes. And, if not, I just chuck 'em and use the standard jpeg and go from there. Once Apple gets their raw converter updated to support this camera, I'll probably stop using art filters altogether. I don't like any of the others, but for some reason I like what this one does more often than not. I'd imagine I'll get sick of it pretty quickly though, so I'm saving both copies of these shots, so I'll have the clean jpeg to use once I get sick of the dramatic tone filtered shots...

-Ray

• Like Like x 2
  12. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Great shots WT21! Really looking forward to my E-P3, whenever it arrives.

I think the art filter bracketing mode is killer, and one of those features that hasn't been really hyped as much as it should be.

This shows the various filters, plus the combination matrix:
    Olympus PEN E-P3 Sample Shots - a set on Flickr

• Like Like x 1
  13. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    thanks Ray

I didn't think to try art filter bracketing. I'll try that at least until the RAW converter arrives:)

14. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    It's funny how differently people react to photos (and how little I understand photography). I really thought #4 was my money shot from yesterday, but most people seem to lean to the sneaker shot!

There's a lesson in there, but I'm likely to thick to understand it!

15. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    WT21, I think photography is art and just because people have a different preference doesn't make you wrong. I found your favorite to be my close second, but the simplicity, texture, and framing in your shoe shot is amazing.