1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

EP3 More Expensive Than EM5

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by G.Sal, Feb 9, 2012.

1. G.Sal

G.Sal Mu-43 Regular

Jul 4, 2011
    The Philippines
    Does the EM5 make the EP3 a more expensive camera with the former having a 16MP sensor, the viewfinder, and weather-sealing?

EP3 costs $1000 with the VF2 and kit lens almost the same price of EM5 with all the added features.

Justifying an upgrade. :biggrin:

2. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I think you can thank competition for making the EM-5 decently priced. Panasonic, Fuji, Sony, Nikon, Pentax/Ricoh, Canon and Samsung are all competing in the mirrorless market in one way or another.

3. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    That's why many people are lining up to pre-order the darn thing!

However, I just want to point out that the price you are quoting for the E-M5 is body only, the E-M5 + kit lens will cost you $1,299...

Edit: Just saw on B&H that there is an E-M5 + 14-42 kit lens option at $1,099, which is a better comparison with the E-P3 + kit lens + VF-2 pricing, so, yeah, the E-M5 is a good deal! :wink:

4. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    I think Jonathan hit it precisely. Between the time Olympus released their latest PENS and the E-M5 announcement, Nikon has introduced the 1 series, Fuji announced their XPro1, Sony released their NEX7, and Pentax with the Q/K01.

A lot of competition. In particular, if the NEX7 and V1/J1 weren't around, I suspect the E-M5 would be $100-$300 more expensive...

(Edit: and let's not forget the Panasonic GX1 and GH2...)

5. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Totally forgot about Fuji!

6. G.Sal

G.Sal Mu-43 Regular

Jul 4, 2011
    The Philippines
    I think it only makes sense for Olympus to cut the price on the EP3 if they still want to sell it.. Not sure if a lot of people would want the EP3 having only a $200 difference from the new flagship model.

It will be interesting how low they will go or at what price point the EP3 would make sense to consumers.

Anyone willing to play 'The Price is Right?' :)

7. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    Agree that the price on the E-P3 will have to come down, but I am sure there will be plenty of value buyers out there who's willing to buy the E-P3 if the price is right... In spite of its "aging" sensor, it is still a really nice camera...

8. on_arb

on_arb Mu-43 Regular

Feb 3, 2012
    Philippines
    when will the em-5 be available for sale? :)

9. Spuff

Spuff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Berkshire, UK.
    Supposedly in April.

10. bongestrella

bongestrella Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 2, 2011
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    Well, this will most likely make the EP-4 cheaper. For some it might actually be a better option. Not all of us need an EVF much less a built-in one (count me out on this one).

11. rex87

rex87 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 21, 2011
    winnipeg, mb
    EP3 price will go down soon...

12. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Yes, right now it kind of "sucks" to be one of those who purchased an E-P3 & VF-2......

13. Brian S

Brian S Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 11, 2009
    The EP2 with VF-2 and kit zoom was $899 on a big sale when I picked it up 2 years ago. I don't feel too bad!

Prices of the EP3 will certainly come down quickly. Probably not as fast as a Nikon D700.

I think Olympus will have to bring the price of the OM-D down to compete with the NEX-7. I'll be watching for the Kit price to be down to the $899 that the EP2 kit went for. Maybe the Summer?

14. 13Promet

13Promet Mu-43 Regular

Dec 11, 2011
    Milano
    Don't get it bad... if you purchased the EM5 now, after a few months there would be a better performing camera for the same price :wink:

BTW, I'm pissed off as much as you for having just bought a GX1 and being going to buy the EVF :rofl:

15. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    You mean for those who JUST purchased the 2 items, right? I have no problem with paying full price for my E-P3 at full price when it was first launched, and a used VF-2 at around the same time, since I have been enjoying them for a while, and taken thousands of photos with them already. :wink: