1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

EP3 Minimum ISO setting in Manual Movie Mode

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by kjun, Jul 12, 2013.

1. kjun

kjun Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 23, 2010
    USA
    I recently purchased a new EP3 from Adorama when they had their $299 sale and find it to be a lovely camera at a great price. I was surprised, however, to find that in manual Movie mode the minimum ISO setting is 400. Normally I'm trying to keep a 1/60 shutter speed and aperture between f4 and f8. I use ND filters to allow that shutter speed and f stop during bright daylight hours. The ISO 400 setting makes it harder to achieve that combination. I can work around it but was wondering if anyone had any idea why Olympus would set the minimum ISO to 400 in manual movie mode? I often prefer to shoot with the lens opened up for less depth of field when shooting movies so would have preferred a lower minimum ISO setting.

BTW, I got a silver EP3 with the larger grip and it's a beauty but I'm sure many of you here already knew that, LOL.
    Kenny

2. gochugogi

gochugogi Mu-43 Veteran

I haven't a clue but wish the base ISO for stills was lower as well. ISO 100 or 50 would be nice. Another strange one is, in autoISO mode, flash always defaults to ISO200, even in the darkest cave! No biggie as you know better and set it yourself but these things all together show a lack of attention to detail. But I suppose the quirkiness adds to the charm of this wee camera.

I paid $899 for the E-P3 19 months ago at B&H...

3. kjun

kjun Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 23, 2010
    USA
    re: EP3 ISO

Lower ISO would sure be nice. Have not used an external flash on the camera yet but coming from an EPL1 I sure am enjoying the EP3 ergonomics. The LCD is razor sharp on the EP3 but has a greenish and somewhat dark, overly contrasted look to it. Maybe it's because of the touch screen. I've tried fiddling with the brightness and color setting but still don't have it where I'd like it.

4. gochugogi

gochugogi Mu-43 Veteran

My E-P3 LCD is very clear and natural. Maybe you need to take the LCD off the "Vivid" setting.

5. kjun

kjun Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 23, 2010
    USA
    Thanks for the suggestion about changing from vivid to natural. I've already done that so I'll have to experiment some more. My LCD is very clear, but I would not call it completely natural it has a very slight greenish hue.

Kenny

6. gochugogi

gochugogi Mu-43 Veteran

I had a Canon 5D with a greenish tinted LCD and really bothered me. I checked other 5D and they were okay so I suppose the LCD supplier has component variation problems. Unlike the 5D, the E-P3 LCD can be adjust for tint and color temp, so at least you can do something about it.