EP3 M mode issues

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by derick, Dec 13, 2011.

1. derick

derick Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2011
    I have been having an issue whereby in M mode, with lenses other than the kit lens (that I've noticed...), the E-P3 periodically stops letting me adjust the shutter speed manually - it'll work for a while then stop. This is the case whether I use the wheel control, or if I push the +/- control on the wheel and then try to use the arrows to adjust the shutter.

Happening with a Panasonic Lumix 20mm f1.7 and an old Pentax lens through a K mount adapter.

Is anyone else having this issue? Is it related to using non-Oly lenses? It's really annoying - I need to stop and switch the camera into another mode (usually S since it's next on the dial) and back in order to regain the ability to adjust the shutter speed manually.
  2. derick

derick Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2011
    no EVF by the way
  3. zerotiu

zerotiu Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 13, 2011
    Mine doesn't have this problem. I use pana 14mm and Canon EF lenses with adapter. Maybe other members can help. Have you tried to upgrade it to be 1.1 firmware? Maybe it can solve this
  4. Canonista

Canonista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    I've had two instances where the controls locked up on my E-P3. I don't recall what lens I was using at the time, but I do own and frequently use the 20mm.

In my case, I had the camera in Aperture mode. The first time, the focus area select stopped responding. The second time, I was adjusting the aperture when the camera stopped responding. I had to shut off and restart the camera, which fixed the problem.

I hope it's nothing serious, but in all the years of using different types of cameras, I've never encountered anything like this. It reminds me more of my old PC, which required the periodic reboot; but then again, I guess our cameras these days are computers in miniature.

I've not done the firmware upgrade, and don't plan to since I don't view it as critical or solving this problem, and I would rather do without the risk of the online upgrade messing up my camera.