1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

EP3 is "Pro"

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by flash, May 24, 2011.

1. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    From 43 Rumors | Home

" am almost 98% sure the Olympus E-P2 is going to be replaced by the newer E-P3. It will be announced in late June. My trusted anonymous sources said that this is a “PRO” model. But that’s all I got from them. I hope the word “PRO” defines a camera that it is a step above the actual E-P2. To me the new E-P3 has to be very different from the current E-PL1/2 line otherwise it doesn’t make sense at all! Let’s hope Olympus will not repeat the product reiteration they had the last two years. The big question is: Does it have an integrated viewfinder or not? "

Please, please make it so.....

Gordon

2. soundimageplus

soundimageplus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2010
    Worcestershire
    Indeed.

I'd like to add, that partly inspired by you, I can now add:-
    Soundimageplus is completely mirrorless also.

3. MaxElmar

MaxElmar Mu-43 Regular

May 18, 2011
    New Jersey, USA
    What sensor is a bigger question to me. But the viewfinder is a close second. If they go that way, it had better be a really, really good EVF. I guess a built-in VF-2 would work for most people?

4. soundimageplus

Feb 2, 2010
    Worcestershire
    I put down these thoughts on another thread:-

Hopefully Olympus have done a deal with Panasonic to use either the GH2 or G3 sensor, though Olympus do go on about 12MP being satisfactory for them, so that might not happen.

Integrated viewfinder? Well maybe, but the VF-2 is pretty decent, and they may decide to leave that as is without attempting to get it into the body.

Weathersealing? Pretty pointless since no m4/3 lenses are weather sealed and I can't really see that being a priority.

So what might we expect? Faster AF, better high ISO performance, no matter what the MP count, maybe a more pronouced grip and a bundled kit with a fast prime. The 12mm f/2 may make its appearance. I wouldn't be surprised either if it was slightly smaller than the E-P2, which does seem to be the trend.

Like others, a rangefinder styled, 16MP, integrated viewfinder camera is what I'd love to see. Basically an X100 with interchangeable lenses. This may however be wishful thinking.

5. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I would think it will be a bit bigger than the E-P2 if it's to accomodate a quality EVF in a rangefinder-styled body (which is fine with me........some of these cameras are getting so small they're hard to hang onto!) Especially since the other model they are announcing (according to the rumors) will be much smaller. Size and sophistication will go hand in hand to define the target audience and price point.

6. photoSmart42

photoSmart42 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 12, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    For a manufacturer that knows how to actually introduce 'Pro' products, they better get this right if they actually introduce a model that claims to be 'Pro' level, otherwise their credibility is shot in that segment. It should be marketed alongside either new 'Pro' m4/3 lenses, or at least in conjunction with their existing pro 4/3 lenses regardless of the size.

As the GH series proves, not all consumers for mirrorless camera bodies are hung up on getting the absolute smallest body possible - some of us recognize the fact that ergonomics for tall people with big hands is very different than for others, and trying to manipulate a camera that gets lost in your palm is quite frustrating. Olympus hopefully gets that as well. We'll see.

7. MaxElmar

MaxElmar Mu-43 Regular

May 18, 2011
    New Jersey, USA
    Yep. That would deserve the PRO moniker. That's what I would like to see as well. But I agree it's wishful thinking... would Fuji license their flagship technology so soon? Does Olympus have the resources to make their own? (Well, they are an optical company. Perhaps they should try an optical solution.)

12mp would be just fine if the new 12mp sensor seriously improves the noise situation. That would also be "PRO"...

And while we're at it -- fast primes are very "PRO" -- give us a 40/1.4 like the original Pen...

8. Pan Korop

Pan Korop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 31, 2011
    Phare Ouest
    If it's meant to be Pro, I hope they'll sell it as a body alone, not only with a bundled lens. A Pro camera is a system camera, not a telephone given away for $1.- if you sign up for X years. Keep "pro bundles" for suckers' Limited Editions (E-Px Ti, or Safari olive drab?), usually announcing the lens or body will be discontinued/replaced quite soon...
    I'd have choked, and stalled, if N had forced me to buy its new 50/1.4 together with the D3x, even given away as an alledged free-bee...

9. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    ... and higher FPS to go with the faster AF and better noise at elevated ISO's ...

10. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    Let see. It started with the E-P1. Then there was the E-P2. I wonder what Olympus would call the third camera in that line, The E-P eight and three quarters?

I hope you are not paying for that prediction. ;)

11. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    LOL!!! Heaven forbid Oly asks their marketing team for a name. So how does one enunciate, " *ist " as in Pentax?

G

12. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    My question is, "what kind of pro?" The needs of a hyperlocal news journalist is very different than those of a sports photog which are different than those of a wedding photog.

13. soundimageplus

Feb 2, 2010
    Worcestershire
    Absolutely. I never know why they bother to call it "pro". Well actually I do, we all do. Whether it ever justifies the tag however is open to question. I'm a "pro" I use a GF1 and an E-PL2. Does that make them "pro" cameras?

14. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Weather sealing is not difficult. If they make a weather sealed PEN body, they would only need to make a weather sealed Four-Thirds mount adapter. Those who are looking for a Pro PEN body will not be satisfied with the lens speed of Micro Four-Thirds glass, and will likely be using faster Four-Thirds glass... like I do. If they have a pro body to back it, Olympus will probably start producing fast glass in the :43: line and at that time they can make them weather sealed if they go that route with the bodies.

15. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I call them a "pro's compact". :) Before Micro Four-Thirds, the Canon G10 used to have that status, though I can't see why... it would never stand up to my standards of quality, no matter how "convenient" it is. If a camera can't meet a minimum standard of quality and functionality; it doesn't matter how portable and "at hand" it is, it sill won't be used.

I'm a professional photographer as well, and came from the Olympus E-system DSLRs using the pro E-3 body and higher grade Zuiko glass. I bought my first PEN to complement my E-3 while using the same lens collection. I now have the E-PL2 which actually takes over from the E-3, giving me E-5 image quality without shelling out to upgrade to the E-5 (which my budget doesn't allow). The E-PL2 works better for my professional use than the E-3 did because the image quality is better yet the camera does the same thing with the lights and studio accessories as the E-3 did. It's not always as comfortable (though sometimes can be more comfortable), and I can't take it out in extreme snow and rain storms anymore. Not a big loss. ;)

16. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    "Pro" is defined by the manufacturer not the user. (And also an economic term ... as in how many more dollars can I squeeze from the purchaser ...)

G

17. soundimageplus

Feb 2, 2010
    Worcestershire
    Exactly.

18. John M Flores

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    Funny you should mention the G10 - I just had a story published with the lead photo - a 2 page spread - from the G10:

5716465609_178ec39b84_z.
    Small camera, big picture by john m flores, on Flickr

So while the camera may not meet your standards of quality, once you starting talking high volume, web press, magazine, the G10 in good light does alright. Interestingly, I took nearly the same shot with a Pentax K20d. The IQ is significantly better, but the POV is off a little bit - I wasn't willing to lie prostrate in the middle of the road in order to frame the shot!

19. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    Lazy! :rofl:

20. John M Flores

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    I have another word for it - ALIVE! :biggrin: