EP3 image stabiliser question

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Bartle Frere, Jul 16, 2012.

1. Bartle Frere

Bartle Frere Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 8, 2012
    London
    Hello, here's a question: I've got a 20mm 1.7 lens on my EP3, but the image stabilisation has set itself to 50mm, and it doesn't seem possible to adjust it manually. The manual says this isn't possible unless a non-M43 lens is attached. Anyone else experienced the same thing? Is it a fault, or am I missing something?

2. EP1-GF1

EP1-GF1 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 12, 2011
    Mine says 55mm, which is the last setting I had for a manual lens. I think that, since it's grayed out, it's ignored/overridden.

3. Bartle Frere

Bartle Frere Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 8, 2012
    London
    Ah, that'll be it then. Thanks for checking.

4. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    With :43: auto focus lenses the camera automatically adjusts the focal length. You only need to set it for manual lenses.

5. shanghaishots

shanghaishots Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 28, 2012
    new york/shanghai
    Have you tried pressing INFO while checking the IS mode? That should trigger it so that you can manually adjust the focal length.

• Like Like x 2
  6. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Exactly. It wouldn't hurt for them to hide the information when it detects a native lens though. The current arrangement is both unnecessary and confusing.

DH

7. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    The manual focal length is actually "greyed out" when a native lens is attached. But I guess if you have never attached a manual lens yet you wouldn't know the difference between the active and the greyed out. ;)

8. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    If they can gray it out, they can hide it entirely. It's extraneous. And even when it's grayed it out, you can adjust it, which further confuses the issue.

If it was obvious, this question wouldn't be asked nearly as often as it is...

DH

9. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    The way you suggest is actually the way it used to be. Well, except that rather than hiding it completely the info was more definitely greyed out and unchangeable until you removed the native lens. I can't remember now when they changed this...

Personally, although I can understand the confusion for newer users, as an experienced user I like the new system a lot better. It is much more convenient to be able to change the manual focal length at any time, before or after mounting a manual lens. I'd rather get it prepared when I have time to, before I need to make the lens switch, rather than having to switch lenses just so I can make that one change in setting. I'm all for full user control at any time.

Only difference is that I know what I'm doing with the camera and am accustomed to the system.

10. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    I agree with you Ned, the new way is much better. It would help if the new users read the manual.

11. shanghaishots

shanghaishots Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 28, 2012
    new york/shanghai
    not to hijack at all or make people second-guess themselves or the equipment, but i still tend to dial in the focal length when switching primes (don't know how you would do it with zooms unless you really wanted to micro-manage every time - not for me). maybe it's just a comfort thing/placebo effect, but I really do feel like it helped?

for example, i knew that the IS is auto with native lenses but when i was first taking pics with my 45mm f1.8 i kept getting some blur. i noticed that it was sharper and did perform better once i manually adjusted the focal length in the IS even though it is a native lens that is stabilized automatically. maybe i just got steadier, but i don't know - i literally would take a shot on the default IS Auto (in my case, it would be the grayed out 50mm as stated originally) of a coke bottle in my room indoors and then immediately adjust the IS length accordingly and take the same picture and it was sharper - same settings/lighting conditions everything. like i said, could just be me getting better, but odd nonetheless.

in any case, just answered the question posed about changing the setting, but as stated previously and correctly by the others, the 20mm f1.7 should be auto as all native lenses! doesn't really need the diving in and niggling about settings.