1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

EP3 fails to switch off

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by j4hug, Nov 11, 2012.

1. j4hug

j4hug Mu-43 Regular

Dec 23, 2011
    London
    Hi all.. I have had an EP3 for 10 months and when I went to switch it on today the blue LED stays on here are occasional orange LED flashes (IBS?) but the screen is blank and cannot hake an exposure. The screen bottom left gets warm......Is this stuck in cleaning mode?
    I have changed batteries SDcard and lenses. No joy:-(
    Can anyone give any advice?
    Jerry

2. j4hug

j4hug Mu-43 Regular

Dec 23, 2011
    London
    To simplify the above, as soon as I put a battery in it is locked in start-up mode. I think it will have to go back to Olympus unless anyone has a simple quick-fix

3. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    How long are you leaving the battery out when you switch? Perhaps waiting a few minutes would give the residual power on the circuit board time to fully discharge and let you get a fresh boot up.

4. OPSSam

OPSSam Mu-43 Regular

Dec 18, 2010
    NC
    Bottom line with any situation like this, take the lens off and the memory card out. If the camera can't operate normally without either, and if it can't use any memory card whatsoever, then it's off to the repair center. Sorry to hear that, hopefully it will be a warranty sponsored trip.

5. j4hug

j4hug Mu-43 Regular

Dec 23, 2011
    London
    Thanks all... It does look like a return to Olympus!

It is lucky it was my backup camera this week
    I have an OM-D with its mechanical on/off switch ;)

6. j4hug

j4hug Mu-43 Regular

Dec 23, 2011
    London
    It has gone off to repair.

However by plugging the camera into the PC it did allow me to switch on and off the camera, unfortunately the screen remained blank.
    I though it worth posting this as the extra link to the PC did change the status of the fault, perhaps if I had the correct software I could have completely fixed the fault.