EP3, EM5, or EP4?

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by BSH, Feb 18, 2012.

1. BSH

BSH Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 18, 2012
    I can ask that question, because it's moot for me as of today - I currently have funds for none. But...

The smattering of sample images so far seem to indicate the EM5 really outclasses the EP3 on high ISO image quality. Would the EP4 that will inevitably be produced (or whatever name it might bear 12-18 months from now) get the sensor & electronics from the EM5? Or is the EP3 really good enough for 95% of the situations I will tend to use? (That would be mostly indoor, available/low-light, architectural photos and the mandatory family shots.) I must say, while it's not in the budget, that EM5 makes me drool.... I know, we'll have to wait a month for the production model, but I'm anxious to know just how much better the new sensor is. How much longer should I wait to jump in? (I know, as long as it takes to get the money...) :rolleyes:
  2. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    i live in low light, and im definitely getting an em5... the ep3 was a decent balance for size and iso performance, but now the em5 has dethroned it by far it seems
  3. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    If you're a viewfinder guy, M5. If not, but you're in a hurry, P3. Else hold out and see what they do with the next PEN.
  4. 6x6

6x6 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 12, 2011
    That really answers the question, doesnt it?:smile:
    My E-P1 is good enough for everything save Macro (the too big AF-field) and moving objects (The AF).
    So I would like to have the OM-D, of course, but will wait till the E-P3 drops in price significantly and get it.
  5. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Only YOU would be able to determine whether it's good enough for the kind of shooting you do and lenses you use. I'm generally fine with the current gear for the kinds of shooting you describe, but with the 25 (f1.4) and 45 (f1.8) lenses, not the kit lens. I often find myself wishing I had another stop or two available in low light for the kind of shooting I do, and will generally opt for a different camera on the street at night, but not for the kind of shooting you describe, with the right lenses. The EM5 certainly appears to be a stop or more better than the EP3. No doubt the EP4 will get the new sensor and processing speed, if not the ibis and some other features. But whether the EP3 is good enough only you can answer for yourself.

6. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    That's right. Only you can answer if the EP3 is good enough for how you shoot.
  7. applemint

applemint Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2012
    Not sure about the E-P1 but you can change this on the E-PL1 (make it smaller). However manual focus is usually used for macro - I think AF would be difficult, although I have seen some photos taken with a Panasonic 45-200mm with a Raynox 250 on the front which I think were done using AF.
  8. LovinTheEP2

LovinTheEP2 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Well, since the EP4 doesn't exist so that's an easy one. We have no idea what they will put on it and what they'll take off it.. so I wouldn't even add that to the list.

As for the PEN vs. OM-D.. depends on when you decide to buy the camera and whats available at that time.

With digital, as a rule of thumb with the odd expectation every year things get better. So in 1.5 years... we can't even imagine what options will available to you. Looking back 1.5 years ago.. there have been amazing new cameras that have come out from Fugi, Olympus, Panasonic, Sony, Nikon and I'm sure Canon will eventually nail a mirrorless soon..

If you were buying today.. then only the EP3 is really available. If you are talking in 3 months.. then depends:

1. If you want onboard flash.. (EP3)
    2. If you want a builtin EVF.. (EM5)
    3. If you want a small form factor (Mini)
    4. If you want the best sensor (NEX5/7)

There isn't any one killer cam that does it all yet...

So based on your post.. I'd say an EP3 or even better in 6-12months, a USED EP3 and spend the saving to get some a nice len(s).
  9. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Olympus usually puts their latest improvements in their newest body so the eventual EP4 is likely to have some improvements over the EM5.

10. LovinTheEP2

LovinTheEP2 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    I'm not sure Olympus will share OM-D advancements with the PEN. They've been very careful about always making a point that the OM-D series is a seperate line from the PEN series so sharing the Sensor and certain future developments may not be in the cards.

When the get the 4/3rds lens to autofocus fast, don't be surprised if it only works on the OM-D or E-# series of bodies.