1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

EP3 Dilemma (14-42 or 17mm)

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by broncophil, Jan 30, 2012.

1. broncophil

broncophil Mu-43 Veteran

May 23, 2010
    I have a EPL1, and I really dislike the kit lens.. i loved the 20 1.7 when i had it, but its been long been sold...

so now its time to upgrade.. should i get the kit with the 17 or 14-42.. is this kit lens any better/faster??

i will be buying the 45 1.8 at the same time..

2. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    What didn't you like about the E-PL1 kit lens? When you say better/faster, what do you mean? Are you referring to IQ, AF speed, aperture size, built quality, or something else?

Others may disagree, but in my experience with the original Oly M4/3 14-42 kit lens and new Oly 14-42 IIR, I find the image quality to be similar. Some like the old version built quality better, but I find that similar between the 2 also. In terms of AF speed, the IIR coupled with the E-P3 is way faster than the PL1 and old kit lens. It locks focus faster than you can blink your eye under sufficient light, and can focus much better in dim lighting conditions than the PL1 + kit. I have never used the 17mm, so I cannot comment on that. Having said that, I never use the kit lens anymore, now that I have the 12mm, 25mm, and 45mm primes...

3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Definitely get the kit with the m.Zuiko 17mm f/2.8.

For one, you liked the 20mm. This one is similar.
    Second, you are getting the m.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8. The m.Zuiko 17mm f/2.8 will be complement that lens, but the kit zoom will not complement it at all.
    Thirdly, the prime lens is simply faster. Who wants a slow lens?

4. fast25

fast25 New to Mu-43

Jan 15, 2012
    Choosing between the two is more down to what you want to do with it more than anything else. I've had good results with the 14-42 II R but at the end of the day, it's a kit lens. Not great, but better than a lot of others. The AF is quiet and fairly quick, but I don't have an original 14-42 to compare with. Then again, you haven't said what you disliked about the old kit lens.

On the other hand, the 17mm is, from what I've read, not a great lens either. Good, but not great. Certainly not the same as the Panasonic 20mm. Then again, what do you want, a 17mm or 20mm? Or just something that focuses fast?

Perhaps you could just buy a body? Or buy the 17mm kit and trade the lens for the 20mm if you miss it?

5. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    The new kit lens is both faster to focus and more accurate. If you want a zoom option, it's pretty good. It's a far better lens than the original 14-42 that came with the E-PL1.

I'd hold off on the 17/2.8. It's nowhere near as good as your old 20/1.7. Better off waiting and getting the 20/1.7 later. Unless you don't want the zoom, in which case you can sell the 17 for more than the 14-42.

The 45/1.8 will certainly impress as well.

DH

6. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    It sounds like the 17mm kit would be a good fit for you... the only argument in its favor that I would add, is that the resale value is a bit higher than the kit zoom if you decide to sell later.

7. htc

htc Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 11, 2011
    Finland
    Harry
    Here in Europe the used kit lens goes for 50 euros and 17 mm you can get twice of that. So the size of your problem is around 50 euros.

On the other hand, as said before in this thread, 17 mm compliments 45 mm very well and it's not THAT bad although it might not be as good as 20/1.7.

Definitely get the 17!

8. zerotiu

zerotiu Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 13, 2011
    Indonesia-Singapore
    I personally choose 14-42mm image quality over 17mm but 17mm has wider aperture and it's small :). You also have to consider 14-42mm if your camera is often borrowed by another persons.

My family like to borrow mine, since I always put my 14mm f2.5, they always complain why they can't zoom :biggrin: . So, for another family members, 14-42 kit lens is the best :)

9. broncophil

broncophil Mu-43 Veteran

May 23, 2010
    I still have my original kit lens from the EPL1 - I was only considering the newer version because the focus speed was so slow..

is the version two much better than mine? I bought the EPL1 the first month it was released.. i know that they started giving out the version 2's with the EPL1 now right?

i'm leaning heavily towards the 17mm Kit

10. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    The MSC version is definitely better than your version, but not so much that it's worth upgrading when you can upgrade to a totally different lens with the same purchase. The MSC version doesn't have the floppy front barrel that your version has, and is quieter and faster to operate.

However... the fact that you already have one version of the 14-42mm only lends MORE reason to get the 17mm pancake instead, which I would have gotten anyways. You liked the 20mm pancake and you are going to get the 45mm f/1.8 which will make your zoom lens redundant. With the 17mm/2.8 along with your 45mm/1.8, you will have a fast and sharp two-lens kit that will completely replace your kit zoom with faster glass.

11. broncophil

broncophil Mu-43 Veteran

May 23, 2010
    Ok. Gonna pull the trigger on the 17mm kit. Thanks everyone.

12. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Nope. E-PL1 is discontinued. The only ones being sold are old stock, and they have the original 14-42mk1. Good news is that from the E-PL2 forward, it's the newer version.

FWIW the 14-42 is sharper than the 17/2.8, has a bit less CA and focuses at about the same speed. But it's not pocketable, or f/2.8.

DH

13. broncophil

broncophil Mu-43 Veteran

May 23, 2010
    well i did it..

SILVER EP3 w/17mm, 45 1.8, AND EVEN bought a PEN Flash. I know it has a built in, but I like the FL300

14. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    Congrats, you won't regret the E-P3 and I prefer the 17 to the 20 for FOV, just wish it was at least F2.0. I might miss the 20 if I hadn't received a PL25 F1.4. My native primes are 17,25,45(1.8) along with an assortment of legacy 50's.

15. broncophil

broncophil Mu-43 Veteran

May 23, 2010
    i'm actually thinking about listing the 17 in the for sale section even before i get it.. use the money towards a 20 1.7..

i wonder if i could get $200 for it?

16. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Congratulations on the new kit!

I love the 20/1.7 and it rarely leaves my E-P3 (when my wife steals it for her camera).

If you want something to go a little wider in the future, you may want to consider the 14mm. Tiny lens, even for m4/3, and quick and quiet focus.

17. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    Congrats on the purchase! If you haven't tried it already, you will be pleasantly surprised by how fast the E-P3 can focus with the new lens. (if you get the 20mm eventually, it will slow the AF down a bit though)...

FWIW, I also love the ergonomics of the E-P3...

18. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    I think if you want $200 you'll have to sell it elsewhere, I've never seen one go for that much through the forum. For the record the black version seems to be worth more on the open market, so hopefully you bought the black E-P3 to get the black lens.

19. broncophil

broncophil Mu-43 Veteran

May 23, 2010
    so the 17mm is faster to AF than the 20 1.7?

20. broncophil

broncophil Mu-43 Veteran

May 23, 2010
    nope.. got the silver.. cause i just love the way the camera looks with the 45 1.8 on there..

oh well.. i got the flash, so hopefully it'll help with the low light situations..