1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

ep3 body only and questions

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Hexagondun, Aug 12, 2011.

1. Hexagondun

Hexagondun New to Mu-43

Aug 12, 2011
    Hello everyone, new guy here.

It seems as though Olympus has really come through in an amazing way with their newest PEN; after having read some reviews and hearing of the brilliantly fast AF, the new 12mm and its forthcoming 45mm brother, I have decided to indulge in some EVIL myself sell off my DSLR setup in its favor. Some may think I'm nuts to make such a rash decision, but I've always been very interested in the micro 4/3 format and now that Olympus has finally hit the nail on the head with this latest iteration, I just can't resist this combo of portability, superb IQ, and beautiful looks that you're all so familiar with here. It will be always at my side.

Now for a few questions, which, after a hasty perusal of the topics here, I haven't found the answers to; forgive me if I'm mistaken...

Historically speaking, how long does it take for Olympus to ship their PEN bodies without a kit lens? I really like what I've read about the Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 and am planning on buying it asap. Also: has anyone an educated guess as to what the body only price might be with it becomes available? I saw the body only on eBay but the price difference isn't worth it- anyone would be better off getting the kit and selling the lens.

Now, having said that, is the difference in [corner] sharpness and overall IQ truly that significant? I've heard some say that the the differences, save the panny's larger aperture, are negligible; if that's the case I'd rather save my money, get the 17mm kit, and immediately begin saving for that 12mm beauty. Again, the pancake will be on my body exclusively for quite a while, so if IQ would be suffering noticeably bc of my impatient compromise I'd definitely regret it.

Thirdly, does any third party make an optical viewfinder for the 20mm panny? I'll probably end up with a vf-3 in the long run, but I would love a relatively cheap optical one for the meantime. Do you guys mind the lower res of the newest evf?

Thanks in advance, everyone. Sorry for such a long post- I'm just so pumped to get this camera! I look forward to really joining the community and posting some images when my new girl arrives :2thumbs:

2. Hexagondun

Hexagondun New to Mu-43

Aug 12, 2011
    Anyone?

Is it that no one knows, or that everyone knows and thinks I'm foolish for not knowing? How about we forget about the subjective questions for now; does anyone know when the ep3 body only might be available? Thanks again, in advance.

3. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    It takes a long time for body only options to be available....

4. Hexagondun

Hexagondun New to Mu-43

Aug 12, 2011
    thanks a lot for the response.

5. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Have you sold items on fredmiranda or ebay (or even here)? Body only options tend to be $100 less, but you can sell the kit lens for $150 net, so if you really want the body, and arre OK with selling privately, thats a great way to do.

In terms of a 20mm OVF, take a look at the Oly OVF (the VF1) meant or the 17mm. IMO, it actually works better for the 20mm. I tried it with both. You can find this VF1 for about $50 used.

I tried the 17mm and the 20mm. Many folks like the challenge of the 17mm, and coaxing out beautiful pics with it, ut the 20mm is a better lens in resolution and contrast, and over a stop faster. The 17mm is cheaper and smaller and focuses faster on an Oly body (i think that was the case, but I sold the 17, so I may be misremembereing)

Hope that helps!

6. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    And no, the Oly 17 isn't a bad lens. It's not as fast as the 20 at f2.8 rather than 1.7, so you have to decide how much that matters. Pixel peepers can see optical differences, but plenty of great photos have been taken with the 17. I'd buy it with the 17 - you can surely sell it (if you decide you don't like it) for at least as much as the eventual difference between the body-only and kit price of the camera.

-Ray

7. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Good point. Buy it with the 17 and try it out. If you find it lacking sell it later.