EP3 and Oly 12-40 f2.8 overkill?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Batfink, Jan 20, 2015.

1. Batfink

Batfink New to Mu-43

Jun 14, 2011
    Newcastle Australia
    I'm taking my trusty EP3 on a overseas trip, currently I only own the Panny 20mm f1.7 which I use 98% of the time and a Sigma 60mm.
    But I think I would like something more versatile, I like the Oly 12-40mm because of its f2.8 aperture, and it would probably suit me for the whole trip.
    The only concern is would it be overkill on a EP3, weight, size and dare I say too much quality.
    Not too sure what else is out there.
    Thanks
    Peter.

2. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I'm not sure that I'd go getting a 12-40 just for a trip - only get one if you intend to keep using it afterwards, it's an excellent but expensive all-rounder. If your taking shots at night f/1.7 will be much better than f/2.8. Depending on where you are going and how you are travelling, if changing lenses isn't a problem, I would just stick with the lenses you've got, maybe look into a 40-150R if you need flexibility at the long end, or a 12-32 if you need flexibility at wide end. The 12-32 + 20 together is much lighter and smaller than the 12-40. If you just want a 12-40 because it's an excellent lens though, by all means. I don't think it's too big for the EP3.

3. Atom Ant

Atom Ant Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 24, 2012
    Melbourne, OZ
    Adam
    I used that combination on Sunday when the batteries for my E-M1 were exhausted. The handling was not ideal. I tend to use the E-P3 with primes - in particular the 17/1.8 - so the mass and the bulk of the 12-40/2,8 just didn't feel good. Unfortunately I incorrectly predicted which focal lengths I would need so the only prime I had was way too short. I also had the 40-150/4-5.6 which was more comfortable, but a little too tele for me to use happily without a VF

Is the P12-35/2.8 a bit smaller and lighter?

As you use the 20 almost exclusively, are you looking for more shorter or longer focal lengths to complement the 20? Would another small prime provide the versatility you seek? If you really need a zoom, there are the various slower zooms which are quite inexpensive.

4. RichardB

RichardB Snapshooter

Nov 19, 2012
    Maryland, US
    Richard
    I don't think the Oly Pro lens is too good for the E-P3. The 12MP sensor won't see as much resolution as a 16MP sensor, but the focal length range and wide aperture are as good on an E-P3 as on an E-M1, and if you get the lens you'll be able to continue using it if you upgrade your camera later. Opinions on E-P3 ergonomics will vary, but I used large legacy lenses on my E-P3 without any discomfort.

5. Jfrader

Jfrader Guest

The only concern I would have would be handling. The 12-40 PRO is a hefty lens to handle on my EM-5. I don't know just what size your Pen is but when I put the PRO on my PM2, it just sucked from a balance and handling standpoint.

If you really want a zoom, I'd think something like the 14-42 or the 12-50 EZ might fit the camera better. They are not as fast as the PRO or the P12-35 but an f/2.8 zoom is always going to be big and heavy.

If you are thinking you need to go wider than your 20mm, you might like the 12mm f/2. That is tiny and would fit your Pen quite well.

6. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    If you can afford it, then go and get it.
    Similar Pana 12-35mm f/2.8 was the lens I loved on first trip with it on my EPL3 and I made 85% of shots with it that time and never regretted buying it.
    I also own the 12-32mm f/3.5-5.6 for its super small size for activities when I want camera to fit in jacket pocket.

7. Batfink

Batfink New to Mu-43

Jun 14, 2011
    Newcastle Australia
    Thanks everyone I need more time to think this over, I may need to see if a local shop has one as my main concern is handling.

8. Aegon

Aegon Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 3, 2011
    Portland, OR
    I used the 12-40 with an E-P5 and never once complained about the handling.

But if you like the 20mm 98% of the time, then stick with the 20. :smile:

9. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    Batfink, if I were in your shoes I'd grab a Panny 12-32 and take it and the 20 on the trip. But I place a premium on versatility and convenience for a travel set up, If you do not then the 12-40 may be a better choice, though I would be a bit worried about using it on the smallish E-P3. I have not used the 12-40, but have been frustrated using other large (for m4/3s) lenses on the E-P3.

10. betamax

betamax Mu-43 Regular

May 7, 2011
    NSW, Australia
    Alan
    The 12-40 is a big and heavy lens. I've use it occasionally on my E-p5, but without an L-grip sort of extension (which I haven't got) it's just too heavy, so I usually pack the P12-32 instead. The 12-40 is 382 grams. The 12-32 is about 1/3 of that and on a bright sunny day, the IQ is almost as good as the 12-40, and if it get's damaged (as my 14-42 did on my last overseas trip) then I won't feel as bad as if the 12-40 got damaged.

32mm is a little short though, so maybe the 12-50mm is a better travel lens along with the P20 and the Samyang 7.5mm.

11. woof

woof Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    The present.
    For the EP3, which I owned and loved for a long time, I think the 12-40mm (which I own and use on an EM5) would be challenging ergonomically. Even with the larger grip.

The 12mm f/2.0 was an ideal lens for that camera. But given that you do not get the versatility you might otherwise get with a zoom, let me suggest the 12-32mm f/ f/3.5-5.6. My feeling is that this would be a match made in heaven and the handling would be similar to the handling you get on the 20mm.

You certainly will not get the f/2.8 from the latter, but you will get the versatility and it i 2/3 stop slower at the wide end. Which for travel would be where I would live an awful lot.

12. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    You can never call getting a world class, spectacular optic overkill. For me overkill would be getting a 12-40/2.8 and a 12/2, 17/1.8, 25/1.8. I'd go one way or the other - primes or zoom.

Eventually you'll want to upgrade the camera body and you'll already have a "kick be-hind" lens for the new fangled camera.

13. Batfink

Batfink New to Mu-43

Jun 14, 2011
    Newcastle Australia
    Ergonomically challenging is my concern will look into the 12-32mm.

14. condo39

condo39 Mu-43 Regular

Since purchasing the 12-40mm, it has rarely left my EP5. I haven't given the size or handling a second thought. Last week I received my 40-150mm f2.8. Even the size of that lens on the EP5 seems OK for me, but it is very heavy. That combo is going to make the 12-40mm feel even lighter and smaller.

15. sin77

sin77 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 9, 2011
    Singapore
    I just came back from Japan trip. I brought there my LX100 and E-M10 + 35-100 f2.8. This combination covers the short and long ranges in the lightest and most convenient setup with bright enough lenses.