1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

EP3 AF speed with VF2?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by bbodine9, Jul 30, 2011.

1. bbodine9

bbodine9 Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 16, 2010
    I have been reading all about the AF speed on the EP3 using the touchscreen but how does it react when using the VF2? How do you shift the focus point and how quickly does it react? Thanks!

2. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    With the VF-2 in place, you have two choices:

1. Use the Dial to navigate to POF while viewing thru the VF, focus/shoot with shutter button.
    2. Switch to LCD, touch new focus point, revert to VF-2, shoot with shutter button.

The latter is quicker - YMMV.

• Like Like x 1
  3. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    As I don't have the VF2, I can't talk about speed, but it seems counter-intuitive to use the touch screen and the VF2 at the same time (except, maybe, to change focus points, but not click-to-shoot).

{edit} -- I see a more knowledgeable person than I just responded. Thanks Tom!

4. bbodine9

bbodine9 Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 16, 2010
    Not really what I was hoping to hear.

I do not know if I can work the way you are suggesting with both the oled and the vf being used together so I will have to keep looking, thanks for being honest.

5. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    I'm not sure its all that complicated. When you're using the VF2, just use the camera as you would if there were no touch screen, because there effectively ISN'T one. The camera still auto-focuses extremely fast, but its a center focus. Or, you can move the focus point around with the four-way controller if you like. I've never been one to do that - I just center focus and then recompose as necessary because to me that's much quicker and easier than trying to move the focus square around the screen. I do use the touchscreen to move the focal point, but that's because its so remarkably quick and easy to do. But I wouldn't be inclined to do that while using the EVF anyway since I wouldn't be able to see where I was touching with my eye to the finder. I'd just look at it as two cameras - one with an EVF and no touch screen, and one with a touch screen and no EVF...

-Ray

• Like Like x 1
  6. mach330

mach330 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 19, 2011
    The OC
    On my epl2 I made the left direction button be the focus selection.i use that all the time with my vf2.

7. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Can E-P3's lcd screen be turned on while using VF-2? Or you can only choose either one like on E-PL2?

8. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    The latter...

9. Ray Sachs

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Right, EXCEPT that when you're using the VF2 to shoot, if you hit the review button to look at your shots, they show up on the LCD/OLED, not in the VF2. And there are no options for this AFAIK - its not new to the EP3 - the previous Oly models have done this too. If you instant review turned on, though, the image appears in the VF2, not on the LCD/OLED, but if you actually want to review an image or images for longer, your only option is the rear screen.

-Ray

10. Ray Sachs

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    I've read that the EPL3 and EPM (or whatever its called?) both use a new shutter. Its able to do faster continuous shooting than the older shutter used in the EP3. Why didn't they use it in the EP3? I don't know. Maybe less durable?

I'm sure there will be a Pen model someday that combines the best features of the EP3 and the EPL3, but until then we have to choose which features we care most about and pick one or the other. Or both, but then we'd have to decide EVERY DAY which one to take! :biggrin:

-Ray

11. FearlessSpiff

FearlessSpiff Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 4, 2011
    There is an option. At least on my E-PL1. When reviewing on the rear LCD you can push the "Screen" button on the VF2 and the reviewing picture changes to the EV2. I use this quite a lot in bright sunlight.

12. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    According to Oly, they had to redesign the shutter in the EPL, because it's a smaller form than the EP. When redesigning the shutter, they made it capable of higher fps. They didn't redesign the shutter in the EP3, so it gets the old fps.

That's likely an engineering bandwidth issue. I can't see a reason they would not do it, except they didn't have the time.