Ep2 versus 14x140mm IS

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by georger, Jul 8, 2010.

1. georger

georger Mu-43 Regular

May 28, 2010
    I tested slow shutter shooting of the Olympus EP2 with Lumix 14-140mm capability. 3 conditions were tested:
    A. EP2 IS off / 14-140mm IS off
    B. EP2 IS on / 14-140mm IS off
    C. EP2 IS off / 14-140mm IS on
    Sitting position without arm support, 3 exposures of each,
    1/10s shutter speed, 140mm, ISO 200, f13, no EV2, ½ beer.

See the attached 50% cropped photos and find the winner as well as what type of beer I was drinking. Perhaps not the beer, but my gray hair eliminated the A test from the competition.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 4
  2. sparklehorse

sparklehorse Mu-43 Regular

Apr 4, 2010
    Portland, Oregon
    Number 8 looks to my eye like the winner, but I'm not divining your brew choice from it. Must be missing something. Interesting that the lens seems so much better at stabilization than the Oly body. Did you happen to try this with the IS enabled for both body and lens?

Cheers (literally)

Gordon

3. georger

georger Mu-43 Regular

May 28, 2010
    I had both ISs On at some point and found the LCD images “jumpy” so this choice was not included in this experiment. Perhaps I should check this combination but manual clearly states to use one or another but not both. What I noticed is that with the LUMIX IS On, the image is visible “flowing” just like in my Nikon 18-200G. With the the EP2 IS On the image is not “flowing” which likely means that IS is only engaged during the time of taking the picture.
    George.

4. sparklehorse

Apr 4, 2010
    Portland, Oregon
    I wonder which works better for video.

5. Dad3*3

Dad3*3 Mu-43 Rookie Charter Member

Jan 21, 2010
    PA
    1/10th SS at 140mm

Not really sure what the point is here? Really, 1/10th shutter speed at 140mm handheld? This might actually mean something if you had used a tripod but the random handheld shot at these speeds and focal length, you couldn't possibly get repeatable results. Maybe I am missing something.

6. georger

georger Mu-43 Regular

May 28, 2010
    Comparing IS

I was comparing 2 IS systems, one built into the lens and one built into the camera. Having these options available I wanted to know which IS should I use. Stretching the possible shooting condition to 1/10 shutter speed made differentiation between these systems more visible without deploying sophisticated testing equipment. Choice of higher shutter speed would make the test less sensitive. As the result of this simple test I will use 14x140 IS in lieu of the EP2’s one.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    Regarding Video I don’t know which system could be better. <o:p></o:p>
    Regards,<o:p></o:p>
    George.<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>

7. Dad3*3

Dad3*3 Mu-43 Rookie Charter Member

Jan 21, 2010
    PA
    Ok but your results really aren't indicative of what either the camera IS or lens IS can do, nor are they repeatable. Handholding the camera at this shutter speed is the factor that you can't control from one shot to the next. Use of a tripod would eliminate one variable and may alter your results.

8. JoeFriday

JoeFriday Mu-43 Regular

Jun 28, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    I think the point is to admit that in everyday shooting, the variable of handheld motion will always be there.. while embracing that, the test was to see if there actually were fairly consistent differences between the two systems. And to me there is. As I would have expected, the lens system seems superior.

This backs up what I've experienced when I mounted a Leica Elmarit 135/2.8 on my E-P2. With the Olympus IS, I was still noticing fairly obvious blur, even at 1/500. I was mentally comparing that to the results I used to get with my old Lumix FZ30, which was exceptionally crisp at the longest focal length (435mm, I think). I have been very disappointed with the in-body IS of the E-P2. But I figure if I pick up a stabilized lens like the 14-140, it won't matter.

So I really appreciate this test, as it was something I was wondering about lately.

9. sparklehorse

Apr 4, 2010
    Portland, Oregon
    I think he's right in the ballpark actually. Let's break it down: 140mm is 280mm equivalent. So using the old rule of thumb without IS a person should be able to hand hold at 1/250 second. IS supposedly offers as much as a 3-stop advantage, meaning 1/30 is attainable. So at 1/10 sec he's only pushing the limits by about a stop. I don't see that as unreasonable for an informal stress test. His shots seem to bare that out. The Oly IS is consistently sharper than hand held, and the Panny IS is sharper still. Using IS is never really repeatable anyway, it's only meant to improve the percentage of sharp shots at slow shutter speeds. A tripod would be useless for this test, as the idea is to determine the benefit for hand held shots. And IS is supposed to be turned OFF when a tripod is used anyway.

Regards,
    Gordon

10. georger

georger Mu-43 Regular

May 28, 2010
    This topic is turning away from mu4/3 photography towards statistics. Taking pictures three times increased the probability that the actual results would reflect 3 tested modes. Taking a measurement 3 times or more is often used to improve experimental results. Placing the test camera on a tripod would defeat the purpose of the test, unless the tripod can be shaken in a controllable way, unlikely. I did not try to recommend taking pictures at 1/10 shutter speed, but am very pleased with 14x140mm performance at this shutter speed. The results of this experiment are sufficient for me to decide which IS mode to use – 14x140mm. I am also very glad that for all other lenses I have a good EP2 IS available. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    Regards,<o:p></o:p>
    George.<o:p></o:p>

11. nokiamia

nokiamia Mu-43 Regular

May 20, 2010
    Malaysia
    the tests are saying, if u have a lens with IS, turn it ON. if the lens doesnt have IS, turn the IS in the camera ON. either way you cant go wrong! what a beautiful life!

12. dcisive

dcisive Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Lee
    I recently picked up a 14-140 Panny for my PL1. I'm finding that in general it's fine to operate with IBIS ONLY. At times at the long end the OIS can be more effective alone. As for video, there is little question the OIS rules. In fact with the PL1 set to continuous focus and the OIS on it works just like my Sony Camcorder does. It is instant to follow the subject with NO jumping around in focus and follows your subject you're trying to shoot perfectly. It's a great combo. The 14-140 is darn sharp all over as well which frankly I didn't expect. I'm a happy camper. [​IMG]