EP2 turns on by itself

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by J. Allen, Apr 22, 2011.

1. J. Allen

J. Allen Mu-43 Regular

Aug 29, 2010
    Well this is bizarre. Last night I'm trying to sleep and I hear an odd noise. To make a long search short it turns out my EP2 was on in the camera bag. I haven't used it for weeks and nothing is touching the on/off switch. I turn it off and take it out of the bag. 10 minutes later I hear the same noise again. It's back on. The noise is the movement of the lens when it comes back on. It does this two more times in the night and I finally take the battery out. Hasn't done it today since I reinstalled the battery.

Very strange. Checked the card for images and fortunately no ghostly apparitions appeared.

• Like Like x 1
  2. QualityBuiltIn

QualityBuiltIn Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Ghost in the machine.

I remember going on holiday and getting really annoyed at what seemed to be a neighbour's music in the early hours of a morning. The sound was coming from my mp3 player which had turned itself on.

3. squeegee

squeegee Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 26, 2010
    I had my ep-1 close it's shutter by itself when it was turned off. It only closed the shutter, didn't open it back. I removed the lens and saw the shutter sitting there closed. It did this about 4 or 6 times before I pulled the battery and gave it a days rest with out power.

In my case though, it was most likely caused by excessive moisture. I had taken the camera out on a rainy day... well maybe a severely rainy day... well maybe close to a light tropical storm rainy day... By the time I got home the camera was taking all it's pictures yellow-ed. I'd pulled the battery and silca-gel-packed it for a day to help it out. Everything seemed fine after that until it started to shutter-close itself, so I silca-gel-packed it for another day. It's been fine ever since.

So... maybe if you're in a high moisture situation, try to dry it out a bit.

4. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    The EP2 is a demanding camera. It doesn't have the tolerance to wait weeks between use. If it starts up without the battery in, then it becomes a problem.

• Like Like x 1
  5. J. Allen

J. Allen Mu-43 Regular

Aug 29, 2010
    Well it did it again this morning. This time I noticed it said No Battery on the display. Battery shows a full charge but I'm recharging it and put my second battery in to see what happens.

6. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    I think now you have a problem. It sounds like a sticking contact point on the on/off switch.
    We should set up a series of test to eliminate the variables.
    I'll be glad to help anyway I can.
    Let me know what I can do ...
    shooter

7. J. Allen

J. Allen Mu-43 Regular

Aug 29, 2010
    It's still doing it. May take up to 8 hours but it still turns itself on after resets and having the battery out for 24 hours. It's under warranty and going back to Olympus for repair.

8. J. Allen

J. Allen Mu-43 Regular

Aug 29, 2010
    Update

EP2 shipped from Olympus repair in NY today. 2 week turn around. Here's what the repair order says:

Repaired main circuit boardChecked all function and cleanedFirmware has been updated to the latest versionAs a result the picture count has been reset to original factory setting of zero. Picture count willresume upon use.

9. Howi

Howi Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 23, 2011
    Sheffield
    Howard
    I can go one better than that.....
    My son was spending a year in Germany as part of his degree course, we said we would come over to see him and he asked us to bring some of his things over, including his guitar. Arrived at the hotel, late at night, and went up to our room. we could hear a noise, apparently coming from the air condition unit in the ceiling.
    it was quite loud, so called reception, who sent someone up, he agreed the noise was annoying, so moved us to another room.
    we could still here this noise, but not as loud so decided we would put up with it as we were so tired.
    The next day we went to meet our son, ended up back at the hotel so he could collect the things we had brought for him.
    We pointed out the noise to him, he went straight to the problem - his electronic guitar tuner, that had been in one of the luggage bags had been nocked and accidently turned on.
    We had been listening to middle C all through the night, didn't have the heart (guts) to mention it to the hotel staff........

10. J. Allen

J. Allen Mu-43 Regular

Aug 29, 2010
    Thanks for that one Howi. Gave me a good laugh.