EP2 Tips and Tricks...

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by JohnF, Apr 28, 2012.

1. JohnF

JohnF Mu-43 Regular

Apr 1, 2010
    Oberursel, Germany
    Hi -

Bleeding edge enthusiast as I am, I just won an Olympus refurbished EP2 in black with the VF2 on German eBay from the German distributor for a rather nice price. I've already got an EP1 and GF2, any particular tips or tricks from the EP2 experts out there that I should be aware of?

The EP1 will be semi-retired and dedicated to time-lapse photography, using a third-party electronic timer release to that camera's USB port. The GF2 has been my grab-and-go camera for a while now due to the better high ISO and rather nice IQ I've been getting from that camera+14 f2.5 as my street combo.

I'm especially keen on legacy lenses, especially the longer ones (85 f2 Nikkor, 200 f3 Vivitar Series 1) for some portrait work. These were hard to use on the EP1 because of focusing accuracy, but the VF2 should help me take care of that. I know about setting up the IBIS with the legacy lenses, so that's not an issue...

JohnF

2. The good news is that if you know your E-P1, you already know the E-P2 (aka E-P1.1). The VF-2 changes the camera operation slightly. When the VF-2 is active all the menus and super control panel are displayed through it, but pressing the play button switches the view to the rear LCD panel. Also, if you have the Fn button assigned to turn off the LCD, for some strange reason it will no longer work when the VF-2 is attached (it won't turn off either the screen or the viewfinder).

3. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Beyond what Nic said, it's basically an EP1 with an EVF port, so everything else (not display related) works identically.

DH