EP2... my perfect camera!

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by chrism_scotland, Aug 20, 2011.

1. chrism_scotland

chrism_scotland Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Well I never thought I'd be able to say that the camera I have is almost perfect but I feel that the EP2 is, having just upgraded from the EP1 I wasn't expecting much but it seems a little quicker (no biggie to me as I tend to shoot landscape and buildings) but the real revelation has been adding the VF2 viewfinder, I can't believe how good it is, I'd say its even better than the last OVF I had on a DSLR and its great to basically see what you shot will look like before you take it! Two thumbs up to Olympus as I'd tried the G1/G2 EVF and didn't like it but the VF2 is incredible!
    Its made my manual focus legacy glass (Canon 24mm,50mm, Konica 135mm) a sheer pleasure to use and very very easy to focus, I've hardly had the 24mm off my camera over the last few days, there's something reassuring about a chunky hunk of metal attached to the EP2, it just feel very natural using the larger lens on it!
    Anyway I've droned on enough but if anyone is having any doubts about the VF2 don't, yes its £200 but its more than worth it, I'm seriously rethinking my lens line-up now, I might keep the 17mm I got with the camera to use as my widest lens and sell the 20mm I recently bought as it would pay for the VF2 and I've been using my 24mm instead! Would also give me some cash to pay for the 45mm next month.

P.S Also very tempted by the 12mm.... and I daren't touch an EP3!

2. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    The 12mm is a worthy temptation. But if you're not concerned with stuff like AF speed and shot to shot time, there's no reason to worry about being tempted by an EP3 - the speed and responsiveness of the camera is the primary thing it has over the EP2. For me, they're relatively big issues, but if not, just enjoy the EP2 - its a great camera!

-Ray

3. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Congrats!

I must say that I'm tempted everytime I keep looking at that new $330 USD E-P2 body....:wink:

4. chrism_scotland

Jun 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Yeah your spot on the speed doesn't really bother me to be honest and especially when I'm using manual lenses anyway most of the time!

Go for it! :thumbup:

5. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    Scotland
    Isn't it so good when you feel totally at ease and happy with your camera? It makes you want to use it.

I have to agree that the VF-2 is outstanding - I've put a tiny strip of tape along each side of the guides for the hotshoe, so it's now seriously tight and I have no fear of losing it - I did before; I would regularly find it lying in the bottom of my bag, so leaving it on with my sling strap was definitely a no-no, but no worries about that now - a PEN body with built in EVF is something I can only dream about.

If building/landscapes were my thing, I'd definitely go for the 9-18mm which is cheaper and a lot more flexible than the 12mm.

I'd still rather have the Panasonic picture-in-picture or Sony peaking for manual focus, but the zoom will do...... for now.

Glad you're enjoying it.....

6. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Peaking in the VF2 would be da bomb!

I had the EP1 with no chance for the VF2 for two years. Now that I have the VF2 on my EP3, I understand all the hub-bub, and have to say I would love an Oly body with built in EVF of this quality.

7. chrism_scotland

Jun 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    It is nice to be happy with my camera yeah and I know that for what I want the EP2 and VF2 is the best combo for me at the moment, I'd love something with a bigger sensor especially for landscapes but I just hate the handling of the NEX and the lack of an EVF would be even more dreadful now I've used the VF2!

I may well look out for a 9-18, I've used wide angle zooms before with the Sigma 10-20 and loved using them, although price wise there doesn't seem a huge difference between the 9-18 and 12mm at the moment, I'm certainly rethinking my native lens lineup, I was already using legacy glass most of the time with the EP1 now I have the EVF I don't see a huge need for autofocus, although I am planning on getting the 45mm for some street shooting!

8. Respectively, my new AND old favourite UWAs.

9. chrism_scotland

Jun 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    I'll need to have a look for some examples of shots with the 9-18, I've heard good things about it!

10. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    Scotland
    A lot of people knock the Sigma 10-20mm, but I absolutely loved mine..... I do believe a lot of it is brand snobbery (something we m43 user know all about), and I do believe that most of the people who slate Sigma have never even owned one..... one from my own much loved 10-20mm

16ldwxy.

• Like Like x 5
  11. chrism_scotland

Jun 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Now thats a cracker! I never understood why the 10-20 was criticised so much, I know a lot of people moaned about the build quality but I;ve had 4 different 10-20's over the years and never had any problems.

12. David Tait

David Tait Mu-43 Regular

Apr 29, 2011
    That's nice.

A nice image. Certainly one to be proud of. But, tell me something. Does the Sigma feel like a real lens compared to the tacky feel of a 9-18mm.

I pickled up a 9-18mm intending to buy it and dropped it like a shot as soon as I felt it. It really did feel like a toy impersonating a lens. Whats more the build was equally unappealing.

13. chrism_scotland

Jun 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Never handled a 9-18 but the Sigma 10-20 certainly felt very impressive, nice heft to it!

14. Frunch

Frunch Mu-43 Regular

Aug 5, 2011
    Wow, where is that available?

Edit: Scratch that, a quick google search found me the deal @ Cameta!

15. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I have an E-P2 and I'm more tempted by the new 45 than a new body.

16. chrism_scotland

Jun 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    I think thats my approach now, build up my lens kit before I even think about another camera body in the future!

17. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    Scotland
    Unless you're buying standard 4/3 HG or SHG lenses, all the other Olympus lenses feel like toys. The standard 4/3 kit lenses etc are all very plastic and lightweight very much like the m43 lenses...... but don't mistake that for poor image quality as they're actually very good; just not built for rough n' tumble or adverse weather.

The Sigma 10-20mm is a brick, but it is designed for D-SLR bodies and the associated weight and size that goes with them.

18. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    One lens to consider is the 7-14 lens... an awesome performer that exudes exceptional build quality.

19. Sit the Oly (m4/3) 9-18mm alongside a Sigma (DSLR) 10-20mm (or even better, put them on a pair of scales), and you'll start to get an idea of the entire purpose for which m4/3 was created. I don't look at it and go, "geez, I wish they'd make this stuff bigger and heavier - more like a DSLR..."

20. chrism_scotland

Jun 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Yeah the 7-14 looks amazing but far too dear for me just now!
    And Nic I see your point, the m4/3 system is meant to be small and portable and while the Sigma 10-20 wasn't the biggest lens on an APS-C camera, the body added to it didn't help!