1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

EP2 kit or GF2 kit?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by riveredger, Feb 20, 2012.

1. riveredger

riveredger Mu-43 Regular

Aug 30, 2010
    Northern NJ
    Hi all- I bought a GF2 with 14-42mm last week for $339. The same shop now has a deal on the EP2 with 17mm and EVF2 for $530. I am within the exchange period so that is a non-factor. I was planning on getting a pancake lens for the GF2 anyway - and now that I see I can get the viewfinder with the EP2 and pancake for less total cost than adding just a pancake to the GF2, I am seriously considering that option instead.

My concern is really about the AF speed difference between the two camera bodies.

What would you guys do?

2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    That's kind of a tough decision. I would actually consider the GF-2 an overall better body, with sharper images, faster AF, and higher resolution LCD. However, the GF-2 is just as long in tooth now and you might want to upgrade soon. The VF-2 is a very high quality EVF (with none comparable in the GF-series), which will fit on any future PEN purchase in the future. Of course, if you think you might end up with a GX or GH camera down the road, then it will be back to a one-product purchase.

The difference in price between these two packages saves you $80 off the VF-2 itself, btw.... if the bodies were worth the same.

3. riveredger

riveredger Mu-43 Regular

Aug 30, 2010
    Northern NJ
    Thanks, Ned. I was thinking the same thing about long term use of the viewfinder and the pancake lens. They also have the EPM-1 on sale for $424 with kit lens. As cool as that camera is, I think the control scheme would drive me crazy, though.

4. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I thought the same thing. I came from a G2 and GF2 and much to my surprise the E-PM1 controls have not been an issue. About my only complaint is that I find I miss the EVF on the G2 (even though I have a VF2 for the E-PM1). That said, the E-PM1 is a much better camera than the GF2 ever was. I mapped the video button on the ack to be manual assist/zoom and because of the small body size the thumbwheel is easy to reach for adjusting the f stop.

5. riveredger

riveredger Mu-43 Regular

Aug 30, 2010
    Northern NJ
    Can you expand on that?

6. capodave

capodave Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 4, 2010
    Southern Cal
    Dave
    I mapped the video button on the ack to be manual assist/zoom and because of the small body size the thumbwheel is easy to reach for adjusting the f stop

That's how I have mine set up as well.
    Just got the 17mm lens, and now I have a P&S on steroids.

6911329321_17411a077b_b.
    Mission San Luis Rey by CapoDave, on Flickr

E PM1 17mm lens set to f6.3
    Straight out of the camera.
    Love those Oly Blues.

7. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    I'd get the Ep2 because it's avery nice camera and a bargain at that price point. The controls are all were they should be and it takes nice pics.

8. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    Is the 17mm a good lens? I already have the 20mm.

9. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    I have both the GF2 and the EP2. If AF speed is important to you, stay with the GF2. EP2 is painfully slow compared to the GF2.

EP2 also does NOT have an AF assist light. So in bad lighting situations, it gets even slower.

Last but not least, the EP2 also doesn't have a built-in flash. With the GF2, you can bounce the built-in flash for much more pleasant flash photography, whenever necessary.

With the $200 difference, you can buy a new 17/2.8. You can also find used 14/2.4's for that price.

10. riveredger

riveredger Mu-43 Regular

Aug 30, 2010
    Northern NJ
    Thanks for the input all. I decided to keep the GF2 and pick up a Panasonic 20mm when the prices come back down to earth.

Aramanius . . . really appreciate the head to head evaluation :)

11. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Never used the 17, but have seen nice photos from it. I just wish it was faster than f2.8.

12. capodave

capodave Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 4, 2010
    Southern Cal
    Dave
    I have had the 20mm since june 2010 and it's a very good lens.
    I think the newer Pens focus much faster with the 17, and with good light take great pics.

13. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    Sure...it's faster to AF (although the GF2 is no slouch), has better Auto WB and better (more consistent) metering. IQ is about the same (with a slight edge going to the E-PM1 in lower light). The addition of IBIS is nice on legacy glass if you want it and the VF2 is a MUCH better EVF option than the LVF1. Don't get me wrong, the GF2 is a great camera and I always enjoyed it I just find I like the E-PM1 more.