1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

EP2 goes to England

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by Paul Amyes, Jul 10, 2012.

1. Paul Amyes

Paul Amyes Mu-43 Regular

Dec 27, 2011
    Hobart, Tasmania
    I finally got to use my EP2 for the purpose it was bought for - that is as a high quality travel camera. This May I went to England for 3 weeks with the EP2, the 14-42 zoom, 17mm and the VF2. I made two short slide presentations with the resulting images.

The first is My England. What does it mean to be English? Can you be English without living in England? As an Englishman living in Australia for these last 24 years it is all very perplexing. I find it gets really confusing when I visit England - I belong but I don't.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/_y1Fcjh3m0A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The second is Stuff The Jubilee. Our visit coincided with Queen Elizabeth II’s Diamond Jubilee. I’m not in any way a royalist, I’ve never really understood the point of having a monarchy in a modern democratic state. In some ways I see the role of the Queen now as being the icon for the historic theme park that Britain has become, a bit like Mickey Mouse is the iconic figurehead for Disneyland. The title comes from a piece of graffiti I found while in Brighton.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/BtjNMnh7Dg4?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

• Like Like x 3
  2. Neon

Neon Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2012
    North Wales,UK.
    I enjoyed these two very much,some nice images and good soundtrack.
    Some of the images in the first where on screen a bit longer than needed maybe but who cares, off to watch them again.........thanks.

• Like Like x 1
  3. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    Well, that was depressing...

4. TonyB

TonyB Mu-43 Regular

Jun 6, 2010
    The sound track was sung by a well known, but mostly ignored, left-wing whinger called Billy Bragg. Don't worry, he certainly doesn't represent the majority that's for sure (thank god!).

5. Paul Amyes

Paul Amyes Mu-43 Regular

Dec 27, 2011
    Hobart, Tasmania
    Well next time I'll just go to Disneyland and post pictures of Micky Mouse:smile:

6. TonyB

TonyB Mu-43 Regular

Jun 6, 2010
    Some nice shots in there but what a depressing couple of soundtracks and I think you presented quite a negative view of the UK, which was a bit disappointing (mainly the soundtrack and I accept you're entitled to your opinion of course) I disagree on the monarchy, they are the envy of many nations. I'm proud to be English and British and the monarchy are vital to our tourist trade and our identity as a nation. They bring in millions of pounds of revenue to the UK and if you don't understand how important they are then you must have missed the coverage of the Royal Wedding last year. They are figureheads for the Union, a job they do very well IMHO. I'm not a raving Royalist but I wouldn't be without them. They unite the country in a way that no other institution could.
    If you've forgotten what it is to be English and British then watch the Olympics, that should jog your memory, I can't wait!

• Like Like x 3
  7. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Interesting perspective . . .

• Like Like x 1
  8. wildwildwes

wildwildwes Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 9, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    LOVED your presentation. Great images, and a fun tune you can tap your foot to...

Thanks for sharing :bravo-009:

• Like Like x 1
  9. Paul Amyes

Paul Amyes Mu-43 Regular

Dec 27, 2011
    Hobart, Tasmania
    ^^ Tony. So we've established that you don't like Billy Bragg:smile:

We obviously disagree about the royal family:rolleyes:

All there is to being English is watching sport :sad010:

10. TonyB

TonyB Mu-43 Regular

Jun 6, 2010
    No I have to say I'm not a big fan of his. I've always been of the opinion that if things are that bad then move on and I wish he would :wink:.
    We can disagree about the Royal family, they're not for everyone and if you don't remember what it is to be English you moved to the right place :smile:.