EP2 EVF... oh my

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by deckitout, Feb 8, 2010.

1. deckitout

deckitout Mu-43 Veteran Charter Member

Jan 28, 2010
    Essex UK
    Well I have just put the EVF on for the first time today after having the camera for a week......

I was blown away, it is awesome even in dim light

• Like Like x 2
  2. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus Subscribing Member Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Thanks Phil,
    That's just what my Pen 1 wanted to hear.....
    Congrats on a great outfit.....

• Like Like x 2
  3. JimNYUK

JimNYUK Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 4, 2010
    North Yorkshire, UK
    I couldn't agree more. The salesman told me it was fantastic and I didn't believe him.
    I feel like I should go back to the store and apologise.

Jim.

• Like Like x 4
  4. Streetshooter

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Maybe I should trade the G1 for a Pen 2.
    I kinda like the Pen cameras....I hear the EVF is the best....

5. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Don, I've got the E-P2 here - it's great, but I'd save my money for the next cam from Olympus. The E-P1 is more than enough camera for photography in the meantime :wink:

Cheers

Brian

6. JimNYUK

JimNYUK Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 4, 2010
    North Yorkshire, UK
    Shooter, you hear right....
    But...
    I hear lots of good stuff about the G1, GF1 etc etc.
    But.... That Pen does have some style.
    Jim.

7. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus Charter Member

Couldn't agree with you more.

The hard thing about all these cameras today is that they're constantly upgrading...so Shooter AKA Don, I'd bide your time...if you can...unless you want to give The Boss your E-P1.:wink:

8. Streetshooter

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Well, Whatever happens to come along, it would only be a sidekick for the Pen. I think I'll be using it for a long time....

But then again, give me something like the Pen from, who cares camera company...that has a focus scale...and...the marriage is done..

9. Brian Mosley

Dec 15, 2009
    What kind of focus scale do you have in mind Don? My DP1 has a manual focusing scale... also my Panasonic LX1 has one.

Cheers

Brian

10. Streetshooter

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Ahhhhhh boo hoo, I do miss the dp1.
    I would like a scale on the screen that shows what distance the lens is focused at.
    I would like to be able to focus the lens to say,
    8.7' for example.
    I'm told by many it's impossible but I don't believe it.

11. ptomsu

ptomsu New to Mu-43 Charter Member

Jan 19, 2010
    I only can reassure everyone that the EVF on the EP2 is GREAT.

I am a very difficult user, coming from the M system and being used to SLRs since ages, so I just neglected EVFs for long time.

BUT - the EP2 EVF is the first one which I happily accept. I am sure now this will be the future of photography!

Hope to see an M10 pretty soon with a built in EVF (instead of the optical one) or maybe 2 models to choose - with EVF or OVF - if that ever happens :rolleyes:

12. soundimageplus

soundimageplus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2010
    Worcestershire
    There's been a lot of talk lately about putting EVF's on Leica. I love the EVF on the E-P2, I think its probably the best ever made. Its sharp and clear. But rangefinder focusing on a Leica is a delight too. Its quiet, its quick, its bright. I can focus a lens manually on my M9, much quicker than I can on any of my m4/3 cameras. Its a camera built around MF, whereas with m4/3 MF is an afterthought.
    Having said that the E-P2 has now become my favourite camera to use and thats entirely due to the EVF. Until somebody comes up with a screen that you can see in sunlight, there will always be a need for a viewfinder, and this one does the job beautifully.

13. Brian Mosley

Dec 15, 2009
    I've got the G1 and the E-P2 here - just done a side by side comparison of the EVF view through the kit lenses.

It's true the EVF on the E-P2 is a nice step forward - significantly better than that of the G1, especially in low light where the faster & smoother refresh rate, along with less noise makes it preferable.

The rubber ring on the VF-2 will come off, so it's just a case of finding a replacement eye-cup which would adapt to the hard plastic lip...

Here's an illustration (sure to be 'recycled' shall we say, so may as well advertise our forum :wink:) :

[​IMG]

Cheers

Brian

14. SimplyEd

SimplyEd Mu-43 Regular

Feb 10, 2010
    Philippines
    All I can do is watch and read.... I already bought an e-p1 days after the e-p2 came out... im new here by the way.

15. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    does anyone have a clue how much the evf will sell for as an accessory for the new epL1?

16. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer Charter Member

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    I discovered the problems shooting in full sun with my non-EVF equipped GF1 yesterday, so I promptly ordered the EVF for the GF1 which will be here tomorrow. I know it's resolution falls far short of the Oly EVF, unfortunately, but I'm hoping it does at least a reasonably nice job of assisting me on sunny days.

Weird... the GF1 screen is much higher resolution than the EP1 or EP2 screens, but the Oly EVF is much higher resolution than the Panny EVF... strange... oh well... too bad they both won't step up to the plate on both counts.

17. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    the panny evf will help alot with framing in bright sunlight , but its resolution make mf difficult