1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

EP2 and fixed focal point

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Toonman, Aug 27, 2011.

1. Toonman

Toonman Mu-43 Regular

Jul 19, 2010
    Hi

I had an EPL1 for a short while but could not stand the fact that the focal point (small box) would revert back to a large one on switch off so I sold it. I wonder if any EP2 users can tell me if the EP2 can have a fixed small focus box that remains the same when the camera is powered down as I am considering one.

Thanks

2. Couldn't the E-PL1 be returned to the smaller focus point by pressing the magnify button once from the standard screen layout?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Toonman

Toonman Mu-43 Regular

Jul 19, 2010
    Sorry, I can't remember.

4. Jorg.S

Jorg.S Mu-43 Regular

Yes it can.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure all of the Pens can. The EP3 and EPL3 can and I recall both the EP2 and EPL1 could as well. It won't come up automatically when you turn on the camera, but its exactly ONE button tap away. Toonman, you sold a camera over THAT?

-Ray

• Like Like x 1
  6. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yeah, the size as well as the position of your magnification box is always remembered by the camera. The larger box is returned only when you AF without the Close-Up button being pressed first.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Toonman

Toonman Mu-43 Regular

Jul 19, 2010
    Yep, that and the fact that you had to extend the lens before using and the lethargic focusing. I bought a GF1 with 14-45 and I'm going through a learning curve with it (but like it). I have got £300 to play with so I was considering one of three options. 1) EP2 Body now £299 in the UK. 2)GF2 with 14mm lens now £299 in the UK or the 20mm F1.7 now £270....................now these should set the tongues going. Time to go to the pub, I would love to read your opinions when I wake up in the morning!

8. chrism_scotland

chrism_scotland Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    I've just bought the EP2 and I think its a cracker but if you've already got a GF1 I'd buy the 20mm

• Like Like x 1
  9. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I agree with Chris. You don't need another body until you have a sufficient collection of good lenses. Get the 20mm.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Toonman

Toonman Mu-43 Regular

Jul 19, 2010
    Thanks. Yes the 20mm sounds tempting. My only reason for suggesting the EP2 was so that I could have two bodies with different focal lengths attached, for example, the 45-200 on one and the 14-45 on the other. The 20mm sounds the best option though as the camera and lens needs to replace my Canon G11 (in size).