Ep1 what am I doing wrong?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by porkphoto, Aug 10, 2010.

1. porkphoto

porkphoto Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 4, 2010
    Southern California
    I've had this camera now for four days and tried almost every conceivable combination of adjustments there is on the camera. I tried it on a tripod, handheld, IS on, IS off, different focal length, 17mm 2.8, 14-42 3.5-5.6, various Nikon lens with adapter (Voigtlander), various Tamron lens, in bright sun, light shade, heavy shade, A, S, M, P, Auto, Scene, and more. I used Raw and jpeg LF and didn't consider the others.

After slight pp and printing, the images were just a tad off of in-focus. I posted some I thought were good enough for web or posting here. However, after seeing some others in the same post I became thoroughly disappointed. See my images in the Nature thread under Humming Birds.

What am I doing wrong?

2. et100

et100 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 15, 2010
    Chicago area - USA
    could you tell if the focus is front or back of where you want it to be? I have noticed that Contrast-AF may be fooled if you have a close object and a background further away within the same green square. (I presume you do use only one green square area rather than the default which is ALL)

3. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Hi Porky,

are those humming bird shots cropped from the full size image? any chance you could post a full size image scaled down to 1024 x 768, and a 100% crop for us to see what you're seeing?

Also, are you shooting jpeg or raw? and what are you using/doing in PP?

I don't think it's a problem with the camera autofocus, since you're seeing the same thing with your manually focused legacy lenses.

Cheers

Brian

4. mikew

mikew New to Mu-43

Jul 13, 2010
    I would suggest going back to basics.

Use the 17mm to eliminate any adapter issues.

Set up on a tripod IS off.

Choose a good simple subject - personally I use a brick wall as the mortar offers hard contrast for the AF to lock onto and has texture that you can see the focus on.

Use AF to focus and take a shot.

Then focus manually using that focus assist thing that zooms up by x10 and take a shot.

Then check the central focus on the LCD and see if it's OK, and on MF it should be.

You need to avoid the AF refocussing for you on half shutter press - so do whatever it takes to avoid that in MF at least.

If the MF is out of focus then really something is wrong with your ability to focus!

If the AF is off then shoot the wall at an angle and make sure the AF gets to focus on some mortar with a good strong edge. You don't want more than one potential focus point in the central green square. Shoot again and then see what band is in sharp focus. It should be that contrasty edge on the mortar which you had central. If not and something else contrasty is in focus then the AF chose that. If it's just off a little bit one side of the mortar or the other then the AF must be off.

Then you enter the realms of focus charts :( BTDT.

Mike

• Like Like x 2
  5. porkphoto

porkphoto Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 4, 2010
    Southern California
    First of all I would like to thank all that replied. Everyone had a valid point and my problem was the combination of all the errors.

Mike hit the nail right on the head when he said I don't know how to focus. So I went out and practiced. My head still hurts. LOL. I've been relying on "auto" too long.

I couldn't tell if I was focusing in front or in back. The humming birds don't stay still too long and trying to focus quickly is not so easy.

Here's a 1024x768 and a 100% crop. I hope I remember how. P8060690a1b. P8060690.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Looks great to me! :2thumbs:

Glad you got the hang of it... we're all still learning! :smile:

Cheers

Brian

7. Rawfa

Rawfa Mu-43 Regular

Dec 17, 2009
    The exact thing happened to me with my first EP1. It was a long time ago and don´t exactly know what I did to fix it, but I know I´ve fixed it. I´m not sure if it has something to do with the shake reduction or something. I´m sorry I cannot be of more help, but I assure you it can be fixed.

8. porkphoto

porkphoto Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Here's a couple more from this morning. Thanks for all the suggestions. P8131275mft. P8131300mft.
    Straight from the camera...no pp.
    EP-1, Voigtlander adapter, Nikon mount Tamron 90mm f2.8, 1/60th @ f5.6,

• Like Like x 1
  9. porkphoto

porkphoto Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 4, 2010
    Southern California
    The final result

It took a lot of hard work and concentration and a bit more patience than I had with me in my pockets but I think I finally got it!

E-P1, 14-42, 1/250 sec @ f9, lens set at 42mm
    Straight from the camera, no pp.......thanks to all

P8171552mft.