EP1 + Voigtlander 35mm 1.4 help

SpnkyMcGee

New to Mu-43
Hello everyone! Newbie here with some questions.

I'm a long time shooter that just switched over to the Oly EP1 (and love it). I have the kit 14-42 + the Pany 20mm, both of which I enjoy, especially the 20mm.

I just purchased and recieved the Voightlander 35mm 1.4 and I cannot seem to get any shots that are sharp. I'm using the Voigtlander adapter with this lens.

I've shot wide open. I've shot closed down. I've done everything I know to get some part of the image sharp and there is a softness to every image I get. I have used the focus assist feature as well. It just seems like there might be an issue with this particular lens? :frown:

Has anyone else had any issues with this?

Thanks in advance for your input!

Tim

Streetshooter

Administrator Emeritus
It's a million to one chance that the lens is bad....but a very good chance the adapter is bad.....
Maybe you should post some images to help others to help you...
shooter

ps...hmm, did you set the IS to the focal length of the lens?

Streetshooter

Administrator Emeritus
It seems to me that you shot at 1/500 and at ISO 100..you were probably wide open.
It just looks like MISSED FOCUS and not a lens issue.
I would boost the ISO to maybe 400 and try to stop down...
Try the lens at 2, 2.8, 4, 5.6, 8 and see how the sharpness improves....I really think you missed focus...I can see sharp areas but the Holly looks like some movement in there which is strange but it's there....

Make sure you set the IS to the ACTUAL focal length of the lens and have it on IS-1

shooter

chefkenny

Mu-43 Regular
Streetshooter, can u see the CA on that last picture? I think it is kind of strong, he might got a bad copy?

SpnkyMcGee

New to Mu-43
I have a couple more samples shot today...

...with the ISO set higher + better light. Unfortunately it won't let me upload anything today. No idea why?

SpnkyMcGee

New to Mu-43
Gallery

I've tried 7 times now with no success. Not sure why. I didn't have any issues yesterday and I still have room according to the bar graph and information. No idea.

Jonas B

Looking at the third image (the tree) I see motion blur. Did you have IS turned on or off, and if turned on, what focal length was it set to?

/Jonas

Vidar

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Hmm. I have this lens, no problem getting sharp images with my E-P1...

Think that Shooter may be on to something, maybe missed focus?

Good luck. I am real happy with my Nokton.

SpnkyMcGee

New to Mu-43
What are you seeing that tells you, you can't upload?

On the upload page I complete the fields just like I did yesterday for the others. The "processing" wheel spins when I hit "submit" for a short while and then it takes me to the same "Upload" page that I started on without the image having been uploaded.

SpnkyMcGee

New to Mu-43
**UPDATE**

Ok, so I reduced the file size to get it to upload but the difference won't be as apparent.

So here are two images. This one is with the Voightlander 35mm 1.4 lens shot at f16.
P5080275_Voigt_F16_small.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Here is the same shot with the Olympus kit 14-42 lens also shot at f16.
P5080274_OlyKit_F16_small.jpg

The Oly lens is actually sharper at hi-res than the Voightlander. If this is the best I can expect I will return this lens for sure. Maybe I am still doing something wrong?

Ulfric M Douglas

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
...The Oly lens is actually sharper at hi-res than the Voightlander. If this is the best I can expect I will return this lens for sure. Maybe I am still doing something wrong?
Maybe you might be expecting too much : I haven't the experience to say.
My own 4/3rds Oly kit 14-42 is sharper (only just) than my SLR Cosina f1.8 ... which is the sharpest of my three cheapo 50mm-ish primes used on my m4/3rds G1.
Personally I'm not using them to get more sharpness than my kit lenses, rather looking for acceptable sharpness with wider apertures than the kit lenses.
If I could find a "cheap" 39mm-fit wide prime as sharp as my Lumix 14-45 kit I'd be a little bit surprised. Happy though!

SpnkyMcGee

New to Mu-43
I hope I'm not expecting too much. The lens was more $$ than the camera. I have the Pany 20mm 1.7 and it's amazingly sharp and flexible for a "cheap" lens. I do expect more from the Voightlander. I hope to post more if the sun ever decides to shine in Oregon again. :mad:

SpnkyMcGee

New to Mu-43
**UPDATE** 05.10.10

Here are three more images for your review. All three were shot on a tripod and were subject to NO image processing. These a jpeg files straight from the E-P1 and the Voightlander 35mm f1.4. Focus point is on the front leaves in the center of the image.

Voightlander 35mm 1.4
Tripod shot
ISO 400 – 1/13 sec – f8
Olympus E-P1 jpeg LF file
P5100311.JPG

Voightlander 35mm 1.4
Tripod shot
ISO 400 – 1/50 sec – f4
P5100312.JPG

Voightlander 35mm 1.4
Tripod shot
ISO 400 – 1/200 sec – f2
P5100313.JPG

Any thoughts on these?

Thanks again everyone! This helps a lot! :2thumbs:

BillN

Mu-43 All-Pro
Hi

I have a few "rangefinder" lenses, CV, Canon, Leica and quite a few SLR MF lenses - Canon, Nikkor, Konica, etc.

Generally what I have found is:

1). MF glass is very difficult to focus "wide open" on M43, because of the lack of the conventional "spit screen" or matching focus assist that you have on SLRs and RFs and because the M43 LCDs just do not give an accurate image, (even in magnification mode).......I said wide open .....before you all jump in and say that the LCD is good enough

2). Generally SLR MF glass seems to be more suited to M43 than "RF" lenses

3). M43 are very good at the short end .......... but when it comes to anything over 100mm, (35mm equivalent), they are less good even with dedicated AF lenses, versus a conventional DSLR. i.e. I find the AF 45 - 200mm Pany lens generally (very) soft, I find my Canon FDn 200mm f2.8 - very good but difficult to use at f2.8 on my G1, (never mind the EP-1 which is more difficult to focus with MF lenses).......it is also very fiddly to use anything other than AF glass on M43 .......... almost to the extent of "not being really worth the effort" with some lenses

In short - On M43, I now stick with the Pany 20mm, (which seems impossible to beat), and 14 45 with the occasional use of 50mm or 55mm MF glass, I now seldom use my Ultron 35mm f1.7 or my Leica 50mm lens.

If I want longer shots, I use my D300 with Nikon AF VR glass or old Nikkor MF stuff which is a lot easier to use on the D300 versus the EP-1 and also it is possible to record some EXIF data on the D300 when using MF glass.

IMHO - M43 is great for what it is and the use of MF glass was/is heralded as a great plus, but in reality, for me, it can be fiddly, time consuming and disappointing.

With one exception, that of tripod work, the use of MF glass although initially a "novel" experience, has worn off and by the time you have loaded yourself up with adapters you may as well buy the dedicated "wide" lenses, albeit they are expensive, that are now available.

Keep trying, but you may get annoyed!

Just my opinion

Latest threads

Top Bottom