EP1 or EPL2?

micah_kraus

Mu-43 Rookie
Real Name
Micah Kraus
Hi,
I've got a Panasonic GF1 and love it. I need to buy a camera for an artist residency and am wondering if it is wiser to buy the Pen EP1 or the EPL2. I have to be perfectly honest that I like the looks of the EP1 a lot and the EPL2 not as much. From reviews I've read it's obvious that the EPL2 is a great camera. What do you think? Am I crazy to get the EP1 instead of the EPL2? Money is a bit of an issue.
Thanks,
Micah

mauve

Mu-43 All-Pro
The same question popped up a while ago between e-p2 / e-pl2

Basically, the e-p2 is an e-p1 + EVF port + AF tracking (for video) + 2 art filters, so I stand by my opinion.

https://www.mu-43.com/f42/ep-2-vs-epl-2-whats-your-thought-11179/#post98350

But. There is a but. I have an e-p1 I wouldn't part from for no reason. Everyone here who owned an e-p1 and sold it, bought another one back some times later.

The e-p1 is quirky
The e-p1 lacks a lot of newer amenities
The e-p1 has its own leisurely pace

But it grows on you... don't touch one or you might get contaminated...

Cheers,

Hikari

Mu-43 All-Pro
They both take really nice pictures. Take the one that is going to match your tie and dress suit.

dixeyk

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Well, the E-P1 is a heck of a bargain. I have an E-PL2 at the lab and a E-P1 personally. if you want to have the option of using an EVF then the decision is simple...the E-PL2. If that is not an issue I find the two cameras are quite comparable. I think the industrial design of the E-P1 is terrific (I find the E-PL2 a bit bland). It's a quirky camera. The AF is "interesting: although that can be greatly helped by shooting in A mode and setting the focus point to center.It's a camera that makes you do things it's way but it has a certain charm. They are both nice cameras.

micah_kraus

Mu-43 Rookie
Real Name
Micah Kraus
ok, sounds like getting an ep1 is not a bad idea...except for the whole getting addicted to it part.
I can get a used ep1 on B&H for $350 or less. I like using the evf on my gf1 but don't see myself investing the money for one on the epl2.
is the lower res LCD on the ep1 clear enough to focus and see what you're shooting?

Luke

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Luke
Micah,
you can count me amongst those who bought one and sold it. I finally got one back and I'm IN LOVE all over again. It just feels so good in the hand that it begs to be used. Since we all know that no camera is perfect, why not get one that 'speaks to you'. I think my gf1 might start to gather a bit of dust.

and to your newest question, I find it plenty clear to judge focus. It's a joy to use.

Ned

Mu-43 Legend
The back LCD screen has always been a crutch of the E-P1, especially with no EVF available for it. I would caution you that if you're coming from the GF-1, you will probably feel a little frustrated with the E-P1 with its slow response, slow Autofocus, and fuzzier LCD screen. You should have no problem with image quality which is still very good on the E-P1 (although the high-ISO performance of the E-PL2 is significantly better), but handling the E-P1 will not be as responsive as handling your GF-1. The E-PL2 will be every bit as quick and responsive and will deliver even higher IQ.

I still have my E-P1 and will probably get the LCD fixed on it one day, but I wouldn't use it in place of my E-PL2. It's a classic camera, and more of a keepsake than anything else right now. ;)

mauve

Mu-43 All-Pro
is the lower res LCD on the ep1 clear enough to focus and see what you're shooting?

I disagree with Ned on this ; but I should mention I still have above average eyesight. Way above. So I may not be a good reference here.

To me, the LCD is coarse, but that's OK because I use it solely as a viewfinder, I never review pictures on it. The contrast is better to my eye than the GF1's. Assessing the focus in MF mode is easy, because there's a "shimmering" when the lens gets in focus that's very noticeable when you know what to look for. And finally, this LCD doesn't washout in direct sunlight as most finer LCDs do, leaving always enough outlines and features to compose your shot.

Could it have been better ? Possibly. But as is, it's a perfectly decent viewfinder. It's not a screen to display your picture, but to frame, compose, and focus, it's perfectly sound.

Cheers,

Luke

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Luke
I also agree that it's a better screen for manual focus than the gf1. I'm not smart enough to know why, but I struggle to focus with the gf1, but it seems to just "pop" on the E-P1.

I do agree with Ned in regards to the slowness. It was the original reason that I sold it. Speed of focus and speed of operation is the Achilles heel.

dixeyk

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I have a G2 and E-P1 (the G2 having the same LCD as the GF1). The LCD on the E-P1 has about half the resolution but it does not stop me using it with MF lenses. Like any LCD it suffers in bright sunlight. Ned is correct in that the E-PL2 is faster. It's not as fast as the Panasonic (at least it's not as fast as my G2) but it is snappy. You can greatly improve the AF speed on the E-P1 by shooting in A mode, setting focus point to center with center weighted metering. Makes it a lot nicer. I don't find the speed of operation to be a problem with the E-P1 (never thought of it as slow in that way). The E-PL2 is a terrific camera but I still prefer the E-P1. It's really just a matter of personal preference.

FWIW. you could scout the boards and likely find a low mileage E-P1 for a LOT less than what B&H is charging.

Real Name
Nic
If I had the choice now I would probably probably take the E-PL2 assuming I had a little bit more money to spend. However, having owned an E-P1 for almost a year, I am not tempted to replace it with the newer model.

Pan Korop

Mu-43 Veteran
E-P1 is a bargain today, but is likely to be the classic to-morrow.

The E-PL2 will probably drown in anonymous obsolescence a few days from now when the E-PL3 is revealed...

micah_kraus

Mu-43 Rookie
Real Name
Micah Kraus
ok, to continue the discussion, would you buy the GF2 or the EPL2?
I'm annoyed that the gf2 has gone to touch screen tech rather than dials. but, I really like my gf1 and it's IQ.
any experience out there that would help comparing the gf2 and epl2? I've looked at dpreview, so I know the difference in stats.
anyone have experiential differences to share?

Ned

Mu-43 Legend
I would buy the GF-2 over the E-P1, but the E-PL2 over both. ;) I think this is a matter of personal preference, though.

Amin

Mu-43 Legend
I would buy the E-PL2 over the E-P1 as well as the GF2. Over the E-P1 because of the faster autofocus and better kit lens (if buying a kit) and over the GF2 because of the in-body stabilization and camera looks. I really like the look and feel of the black E-PL2 and think it's one of the nicest MFT cameras.

I found the E-P1 LCD to be very good in use, much better than some of the reviews indicated, and it's probably my favorite looking MFT camera to date.

Amin

Mu-43 Legend
Where would the GF1 come in this comparo?

All of these come down to personal preference. I know a lot of people who prefer the GF1 to all other Micro 4/3 cameras, period.

The GF1 has faster AF than the E-P1, a higher res LCD that some people say washes out more than the E-P1 LCD in sunlight, feels more solid to me than pretty much any other MFT camera, is good looking (to me), has more tactile controls than the GF2, easier to use menus (for me) than the E-P1/2/PL1/PL2, lacks body stabilization... I could go on and on, but it really comes down to preference in the end, and I personally would buy an E-PL2 over a GF1.

micah_kraus

Mu-43 Rookie
Real Name
Micah Kraus
thanks guys. your experience and expertise is really helpful. I'm going to look for an epl2. I love my gf1 but don't want to invest backwards at this point. buying the epl2 seems like the best way to step forward and still have a great camera.
thanks again!

Dave Jenkins

Mu-43 Veteran
The beautiful northwest Georgia mountains
Real Name
Dave Jenkins
I absolutely despise using the rear LCD and would not buy any camera that limited me to that. New E-PL1s are often available at places like Office Max and Best Buy for $399 with the kit lens. That is indeed a "best buy" to me.

drd1135

Zen Snapshooter
Real Name
Steve
The E-P1 has much faster AF with Firmware version 1.4 so be sure that's what you have. I finally traded in for an E-P2 purely to be able to use the VF-2. In truth, I use the LCD almost exclusively when in AF mode. I use the VF-2 for vintage lenses since I can make a diopter adjustment and focus without reading glasses (getting old sucks). I admit the E-P1/2 has been one of my favorite cameras, quirkiness notwithstanding.

Latest threads

Top Bottom