EP1 - Moon and Venus

Discussion in 'Other Genres' started by Djarum, Aug 24, 2010.

1. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    Ok, so I finally got my adapter in which allows me to hook my EP1 directly to my telescope. I first needed a m4/3 to T-2 threads adapter. I got this from adorama because they were the only ones besides Ebay carrying them, and they were cheaper than ebay. I then got a T-2 to telescope focus adapter.

The telescope I have is a 4" f6.28 achromat with a big two speed focuser. I had this on an Alt-Az mount. I really like the EP1's ability to do MF assist, although its sorta complicated in that the info button has to be used to get there. I'm not sure if a dedicated MF assist can be attached to the FN button.

This first shot is with the EP1 directly hooked up to the telescope without any sort of other lenses. The linked picture is the medium size, but the true uploaded image is a 100 percent crop of the image. With this configuration, the moon fits within the frame. Please click on the image for the full res image.

moon11.JPG

This next image is with a lens doubler(Barlow lens) attached in-between the camera and the telescope. It roughly doubles the focal length. It also increases the F ratio, reducing the amount of light. The moon would not quite fit within the frame. This is the linked image, but the larger 100 percent image is on the gallery. Because the moon was sorta low in the horizon still, I could not quite get sharp focus at this magnification. I was thinking about making a video, because it was kinda cool watching the heat waves roll off the moon at this magnification. Click on the the image in the gallery. You will see the difference in scale with the full res image.

moon2.JPG

And lastly, here is venus. Not much to look at(unlike Jupiter and Saturn). It is an extremely difficult target visually because it is bright and shows tons of chromatic abberition in a typical achromat like mine. An ED or Triplet would do better. Venus also never gets high in the sky, making it even more difficult since atmospheric turblence is more pronounced. Venus goes through phases, just like our moon. This is a 100 percent crop. The orange top/yellow bottom is generated by atmospheric turbulence(why stars twinkle). The purple glow is chromatic abberition.

venuscrop.JPG

• Like Like x 5
  2. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    One quick note, the reason why the second moon image is flipped because I had trouble reaching focus. I had to use a mirror diagonal, so the image is effectively "flipped".

• Like Like x 1
  3. Brian S

Brian S Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 11, 2009
    I need to make the Goerz 24" F11 Apochromat into a telescope. Or someone should!

Very nice shots of the moon, and of Venus. It has been a long time since I did this type of photography. Reminds me to hook the EP2 of to the Meade 1000/11.

4. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Very cool, DJ!

5. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    When I first read this, I thought you meant 24" objective size! LOL!.

I have seen a few older canon FF telephotos converted to telescopes.

Thanks for the compliments.

6. akulya

akulya Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 21, 2010
    I love the first pic, it really is super.

7. Briar

Briar Mu-43 Regular

Jun 13, 2010
    Bonnie Scotland
    Great shots .. looking forward to seeing more!

8. everythingsablur

everythingsablur Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 4, 2010
    Toronto, ON
    Awesome shot of the moon! Can you say "wallpaper"? :wink:

9. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    Well, what I am hoping to do is take some shots of Jupiter and stack them. Maybe next weekend.

10. John Jarosz

John Jarosz Mu-43 Regular

Jul 29, 2010
    Chicago Area
    I was just gonna ask if anyone on this forum does astro work. So I guess the answer is yes. I too just got my M42 adapter that will allow me to mount the E-P1 (without the lens) to my 6" f4 reflector. (about 600 mm focal length). I figure I can get the entire moon on the sensor. So that's on the list for me to do on the next clear night.

John

11. Optical Thrombosis

Optical Thrombosis Mu-43 Regular

Apr 10, 2010
    Thanks! This is inspiration. I have a Skywatcher 100ED Pro Apochromatic refractor scope that needs a workout - I normally just observe visually - guess what I intend to do next clear night....

12. chalkdust

chalkdust Mu-43 Regular

Dec 29, 2009
    McKinney, Texas
    I do not have a telescope. So I hope you folks post some more good stuff soon! I love looking at this!

13. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    We've been mooned by Djarum! ;)