EP1 Menu and Exposure Settings

SS32

New to Mu-43
I'm considering an EP1 for a second camera as my DSLR is too heavy to lug around everywhere, but I'm concerned about the ability to manually control exposure settings. I read on DPReview that the EPL1's controls required a lot of button pressing in order to change exposure settings, but haven't found much regarding the EP1. Any DSLR owners on here that could chime in? I shoot with a 40D, and started on the original Rebel (350D), so I'm used to easily being able to change shutter speed/aperture/ISO on the fly. Thanks.

mikew

New to Mu-43
Well I'm new to the EP-1 as well coming from DSLR. I set it to Av (A) or Tv (S) and just twiddle the thumb wheel (not the dial) to get the speed/aperture I want and then let the AE sort it out. This is roughly what I do on the DSLR so I am finding that OK but of course if you use the optical viewfinder then you don't see what's set - you have to look at the rear LCD.

Maybe someone with more experience will sort us out :)

The biggest change I find is the lack of AF conformation in the viewfinder - when once again I use the optical VF. I am also a little deaf so relying on a beep isn't so great for me.

Mike

crookedfootball

New to Mu-43
Just got an E-P1 for the exact same reason (other camera is a D90). I'm finding the E-P1 quite adjustable via the two dials. The optical VF otoh is not so much use, since you can't tell what the camera is focusing on using it - so you're forced to compose using the LCD.

Streetshooter

Administrator Emeritus
The Pen 1&2 have a great interface. You will find it very to adjust almost anything in a second or two. It's a very intuitive camera.

DDG

Mu-43 Regular
I read on DPReview that the EPL1's controls required a lot of button pressing in order to change exposure settings

I don't know about the EP-1, but on the E-PL1, you change exposure by putting the camera in either the P, A, or S mode, pushing the "up" button once to bring up the exposure control display, then using the left and right buttons to adjust it. So, getting to the point where you can adjust the exposure requires one button push.

Brian Mosley

Administrator Emeritus
The E-P1 has 2 dials for setting exposure, very flexible so you should find it possible to configure the camera to be very intuitive.

Be sure to step through the configuration videos we have for the E-P2 (pretty much identical for the E-P1/PL1) starting here :

Olympus E-P2 Quick Start

Cheers

Brian

Latest threads

Top Bottom