EP1 memory/card problem

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by tobeeornot, Apr 17, 2011.

1. tobeeornot

tobeeornot Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 17, 2010
    Hi all, I am having some problems with my EP-1 and was hoping someone could help. I have been shooting with an Extreme SanDisk 4GB Class 10 card but for some reason it only allows me to take no more than 13 shots before it says the card is full. I thought it is maybe the case that the camera is not recognising the card, and is storing a limited amount of shots on the internal memory, but when I pull out card, the camera doesn't allow me to access the shots. I have also tried with another card and the same problems surface. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. Gwendal

Gwendal Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 6, 2010
    Never saw anything like that on mine. Have you tried updating the firmware ? And also completely resetting your Pen ?

• Like Like x 1
  3. tobeeornot

tobeeornot Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 17, 2010
    Hi Gwendal. No, I havn't tried resetting. How do you do that?

4. Is there anything on the card when you view it on the computer through a card reader that might be taking up the space? Once you are certain there is nothing on the card you can try formatting it inside the camera. If it doesn't respond to a format I'd toss it and get a new one. You don't want to be relying on a potentially faulty card.

• Like Like x 1
  5. tobeeornot

tobeeornot Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 17, 2010
    Hi Luckypengiun, thanks for replying. I am not sure it is just the card as it happens with other cards too but to a lesser degree.

6. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    Sorry to be the one to ask, but you've got to do what you've got to do some times :

Are you sure your SD cards are legit and come from a reputable seller (as opposed to cheap bargains of well known brands on ebay.cn) ? There was this scam some months ago that's still rampant where small SD (512 MB) were stamped with SDHC 4GB or more capacity stickers, and the controller inside flashed to match. Symptoms would be the same : abrupt end of recording.

Cheers,

• Like Like x 3
  7. Good Point, Mauve. You can check the card properties on your computer to see if they have a full 4Gb of storage space available. That might help to isolate whether it is a card or camera issue.

• Like Like x 1
  8. tobeeornot

tobeeornot Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 17, 2010
    Hi mauve, thanks for the warning. That was the first thing I checked. I have actaully used the card before when travelling and it had plenty of room then so I don't think it can be that.

9. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    I asked because 13 raw pictures amounts to about 128MB of memory, which is about the smallest common flash memory chip you can find today.

There are 2 possibilities :

- Either your card(s) have suffered from a damage - SD cards have the nasty habit to die without warning. Test them in another camera, and fill them "up to the brim" to be sure

-Or your camera has developed a fault, and needs repair.

Do the 13 first images get recorded on the SD card ? If not, maybe the buffer fills up but the camera is no more able to record the images. There are too many possible causes to list them all, beginning by a bent pin in the SD socket.

Good luck,

Cheers,

• Like Like x 1
  10. squeegee

squeegee Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 26, 2010
    As some one else mentioned, what happens when you format the card in the camera? You sure it's not some thing like your computer creating a huge 'trash' on your sd card?

• Like Like x 1