1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

EP1/EP2: How to keep the images "clean"?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by nokiamia, May 31, 2010.

1. nokiamia

nokiamia Mu-43 Regular

May 20, 2010
    Malaysia
    Hi, has anyone found the holy grail on how to keep the noise level low?

It goes without saying that the Oly mu4/3s handle noise relatively well. But there are instances that I suddenly get a 'noisy' image. After a few weeks on my EP2, I observed a few tricks to get a cleaner image:

1. Gradation: Select 'Normal' > The default setting of 'Auto' seem to add more noise. I've not tried 'Hi-key' or 'Lo-key' settings.

2. Noise Reduction: Select 'On' > For somewhat odd reason, when it's selected to 'Auto', I get more noise.

3. Noise Filter: Select as 'Standard' > This is very obvious. Selecting 'High' would give me a very clean image. But I loose some sharpness. So, I find 'Standard' give me the best balance.

But since I'm quite new to EP2, I'm not really sure. I hope you can share your tricks too. Are there other settings that I'm missing out? Thanks!

2. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Are you shooting in jpeg or raw?

3. squeegee

squeegee Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 26, 2010
    I'm unsure about your "noise reduction" recommendation. The rest are the settings I happen to be using.

As for noise reduction... I'm unsure of exactly what it's doing when compared to noise filter... The manual isn't too specific about it either.

I assumed noise filter is the standard smoothing & de-speckling... what exactly does noise reduction do...?

From the text of the manual, I was tempted to leave it on auto so it only kicks in on long exposures.

4. nokiamia

nokiamia Mu-43 Regular

May 20, 2010
    Malaysia
    I shoot jpegs most of the time.

Something I realized is that, if I turned 'face detection' on, the camera will automatically change 'gradation' setting to 'auto' indefinitely. Sonow, to avoid that from happening, I no longer use 'face detection', except when i pass the camera to someone else (and I have to remember changing the gradation back to normal).

On 'noise reduction', numerous time I find that 'auto' gives out more noise than 'on'. Is it just me?