1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

EP1 died -- what should I do?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by WT21, Aug 19, 2011.

1. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Well, Oly called back on the EP1 repair.

They will repair for $141.15, and I get a 6 month warranty. If I wanted to keep it, that's a pretty good price! But, I've begun thinking I'd like to try an XZ1 as a backup, and also for my wife to use.

So, if I repair it for $141.15, and maybe I sell it for $200 (so I net maybe $170), I make $30 for a whole lot of bother.

Their trade-in program is weak -- I could get the XZ1 from them for $437.85 + 6% tax (so call it $460), but you can get them new from Amazon for $445, and used even cheaper.

I could just have them return my EP1 body, and try to sell it for parts. Thinking I might get $50 for it.

I was honestly hoping they might have just send me a refurb unit, but no such luck.

Argh. I'm tempted just to have them send it back, and sell it for parts :(

2. labcoatguy

labcoatguy Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2011
    Cambridge, MA, US
    I remember you had some interest in getting yourself a silver E-P2...well, now's your chance, seeing how E-P2 prices have fallen recently and you have access to E-P1 body parts.

3. zettapixel

zettapixel Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 12, 2010
    NY
    Sorry for your loss. What to do depends on your situation of course, but I would probably accept my loss, buy a camera I want (in my case would be E-P3) and, maybe, reuse the battery from E-P1. YMMV. And may it be the biggest loss in your life :smile:.

4. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Oh, I have the EP3. The EP1 died two days after I got the EP3!

Maybe I should just get the EP1 returned, and see if it'll sell for parts.

5. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    I remember reading a post somewhere - the person had bent his bottom plate and couldn't get the part from anywhere. Might try 'parting it out', rather than 'sell for parts'. If you're patient, might do OK.

My wife has the xz-1 - great cam!

Good luck!

6. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada

7. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    If you like the E-P1 look around and see if you can find a low mileage one (maybe with extras) for around the same money before you get your fixed.

8. zettapixel

zettapixel Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 12, 2010
    NY
    If you confident a fixed one would pull >=$200 (I'm not sure of the current prices) it may be easier to sell. For parts you probably going to get next to nothing, and it's as much bother imho... That is, if you really intend to sell it.

9. donlaw

donlaw Mu-43 Regular

Aug 19, 2011
    Texas
    Don Lawrence
    It's to bad, EP-1 is a cool camera. Probably you could find a lightly used one for not much more than the repair would cost.

10. harrysue

harrysue Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2011
    The repair price seems OK to me - I paid more for a cracked LCD on a two week old EPL1 and in relative terms that's less than two weeks of gasoline for the cars in my household. Also less than buying a VF3, even though that doesn't fit on an EP1. Does Oly charge you extra to ship it back if you don't get it fixed?

11. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    No, the $141 is inclusive -- tax, shipping, etc. At first they wanted $170, but the knocked it down to $141. I'm going to visit a local used camera shop, and I might ask them what they would give me for it in cash or trade, and that might make up my mind.

12. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    What lens do you primarily use on the E-P1? If it's the kit lens, then you might want to consider the XZ-1 again. I read an article recently that indicated the XZ-1, wide open at f/1.8, collects just as much light and offers similar image quality as the E-P1/E-P2 with the kit lens wide open at f/3.5 - with the added advantage of smaller size and greater zoom range (compared with the E-P1/E-P2 kit lens). To me, it's a perfect back-up camera for an Oly micro four-thirds kit.

EDIT: Another suggestion - Amazon.com is offering new, leftover E-P2 bodies for $329. This is cracking value if you want your second body to be able to use your micro four-thirds lenses. If you buy either camera from Amazon, don't forget to use the affiliate partners link at the upper right of this page so Amin gets a cut to help support the site.

13. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Thanks everyone for your responses. Most appreciated.

I've decided that for $141, I'm going to repair it.

I'm going to park the 20/1.7 and VF1 on it, and make it my 6X6 (or 1X1) B&W shooter. This will allow me to swap lenses around based on need on the EP3, but just pick up the EP1 for walk-around, square format B&W. It'll be fun to be challenged in that way, and allow me to get to know this style more deeply.

At $141, I guess it can't lose too much more value, and the repair gives it a 6 month warranty, which is better than buying a second used body (with maybe no warranty).