EP1/2 vs GF1 for children photography

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by tabbiesus, Jan 25, 2010.

1. tabbiesus

tabbiesus New to Mu-43 Charter Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Hi I am new here and to the world of mu4/3, I have been using a canon 50D and canon 450d when I go out to take pictures of my kids and their friends, but I am really interested in getting one of these mu4/3 cameras. Plus I really love the retro look of the olympus ep1. But I have been reading about the problems with the autofocus and reviews stating they are not so good for action photography, does anyone have any experience in taking photos of active kids with either and are the pictures alright? I am interested to know if the EP1 is good enough or I need to get at least the EP2 or gf1. Or i have been told in another forum to get the EP2 and use the panasonic lenses. Like i mentioned, my main uses for the camera is on the go candid shots of people/ young kids and maybe portrait photos. on occasion, I will do some macrophotography. Can anyone advise. thanks in advance!

2. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus Subscribing Member Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Well, I have the Pen 1 and while it's no speed demon, it does the job well. I use the 17mm and prefocus for my grands...... active is to gentle a word....
    I have had no problems getting great snaps.....
    I have the 20mm, 14-42 and the 14-45 and everything is great....
    shooter

3. tabbiesus

Jan 25, 2010
    hi streetshooter
    Thanks for the info. I just worry cos I find that my canon 450 had trouble keeping up with my kids sometimes and my 50d is just too heavy to lug around with the diaper bag. You are right about the active part.

4. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus Subscribing Member Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA

Well, life is about compromise....with the Pen...ya kinda just get into a real easy groove. You don't get all the great pics but then again, ya only need the ones that ya do get...right?

5. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Focusing speed won't get you the best candid shots... being prepared and learning to anticipate your subject will! You'll be aware of the light, the environment and your subject moving and will be able to prefocus with the right depth of field and exposure speed to catch things just right.

It's the difference between developing your skills as a photographer and praying the automation on your camera is good enough (it never is! for any camera!)

Hope that makes sense, the E-P1 or E-P2 with 20mm f1.7 or 14-42mm kit lens will be more than capable of taking stunning portraits with practice.

Cheers

Brian

6. Bullfrog

Bullfrog Mu-43 Top Veteran Charter Member

I ditched my DSLR gear for the GF1 precisely because I wanted to be better able to capture better shots of the kids and family and was sick of lugging gear around. I have two kids of 6 and 4 so, believe me, I'm used to dealing with non-anticipated movement and general chaos:smile:

The GF1 has not disappointed AT ALL in this area. It's more than fast enough. My first 'test' in this area was to let the little monsters run free in the garden on the trampoline and I was very happy with how the shots turned out.

The way I use a camera has changed dramatically - it's almost always to hand, I can move around quicker, I can shoot one handed and much more spontaneously. Those things, aside from the pure camera performance, also make a difference. Result? More keepers.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Yves D.

Yves D. Mu-43 Regular Charter Member

Jan 8, 2010
    Montréal, Canada
    "I ditched my DSLR gear for the GF1 precisely because I wanted to be better able to capture better shots of the kids and family and was sick of lugging gear around."

Can't say it better than that Bullfrog.

Hi Tabbiesus,

I just put up an album of snapshots called "Kids in action". Take a look to see if it meet your expectations.
    Gf1 with the 14-140mm. I was happily surprise by the low number of missed focus. Almost at par with my Nikon D80 i use to own.
    They are not "great picture" but snapshots and i'm more than happy with the results.

• Like Like x 6
  8. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus Charter Member

Yves, those photos make me smile - what a beautiful day you had! And you took them with your skates on, too!?:th_salute:

• Like Like x 2
  9. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Yves, that's a lovely set of action shots... since we're in the This or That forum, I think it's worth mentioning the apertures from your action series...

f5.6, f9, f6.3, f6.3, f5.8, f10, f9, f8, f9, f6.3

At those apertures, I'm fairly certain your depth of field would have been enormous... you could probably have focused manually and captured the action in focus. :smile:

Cheers

Brian

• Like Like x 2
  10. Yves D.

Jan 8, 2010
    Montréal, Canada
    Thanks Brian and BBw.

You're right Brian about depth of field. This is the kind of situation when i don't want to bother much with camera settings.

I'm not even sure if i'd bother at all. I think i put it in P mode and shot.

But normaly, i use Program mode(P) and shift it accordingly to have enough speed to freeze the action and exposure comp. as needed thats it.
    Maybe ois helped me a little because i was on skates.:wink:

cheers to you all.

11. tabbiesus

Jan 25, 2010
    Thanks everyone for the advice..

Yves, the pictures are great, all while skating?! And you answered my question perfectly, cos I wanted to know especially if I could use the camera on P mode and still have it keep up with my kids, and get great pictures when I don't have time to worry about the settings.

Brian, I know you are absolutely right, but i guess I really need to get my hands on one of these cameras and experiment to really get my answer.

Bullfrog, thank you, my thoughts exactly, I want to get one that i can keep on hand that will give me a chance to get all the candid shots and also practice my photography skills. I am still a beginner and lugging the gear for a regular slr has made me lazy to practice. My kids are 2 and 3 so there's not much time in between for real photography. :p

12. Yves D.

Jan 8, 2010
    Montréal, Canada
    You don't see it but yes i was skating too. You can tell by the angle i took the pictures. One thing i learned is to photograph the children at their level.
    But with skates on? :eek:

cheers