1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

EP or GF for first video camera

Discussion in 'Filmmaking' started by pellicle, Nov 28, 2010.

1. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    Hi

not being an experienced video operator I'm not wanting video for my camera. I have been wondering about a GF or an EP-1 as a second camera (for my G1) to allow video

my reading has made things a little clearer and yet a little less clear.

I've read that the EP1 does not allow fully manual operation on video, that it engages auto ISO, the GF is reportedly able to access this via a "hack".

anyone have any thoughts and experiences on which is the better for video (before I give up and go out an get a lumix compact)

My intended uses are some small projects where I don't want intrusion of sky in the scene to change the exposure (blacking out the subject) and general video use at parties and such. I'd like to be able to use my manual focus lenses for some of the video too

2. NetizenSmith

NetizenSmith Mu-43 Regular

Oct 28, 2010
    UK
    Surely a new G2 or (more expensive) GH2 would be better if only for the articulated screen? The ability to touch-to-focus is extemely useful on these cameras too.

3. tamoio

tamoio Mu-43 Regular

If I had to choose between the two, the GF. I think that AVCHD lite is preferable to the Olympus Video codec. Used GH1's (non hackable) are going for less than the price of a new GF1 or EP1 and it is a worthwhile step-up

4. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    Tam0io

thanks for the inputs ...

interesting ... new GF-1's are appearing on ebay for $400 body only. I have not seen the GH1 for anything like that.

being a G1 lover a GH-1 would be an obvious switch, but at these prices (plus my wife wanting compact) is why I'd swing for a GF-1