EP-5 vs. OM-D5

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by Seb, Oct 1, 2013.

1. Seb

Seb New to Mu-43

Oct 1, 2013
    Cambridge .England
    I have read few threads ,but could not find what I am looking for.
    I am planning to buy a new camera and want to choose between the two mentioned above.

The features of the EP-5 are tempting but the one thing keeping me hesitating is the aggressive noise reduction. The details on pictures taken by OM-D5 simply outperform the ones taken by EP-5.
    It is clearly visible using comparison tool below (choose OM-D5 and EP-5 for other windows)

What are Your thoughts ,please?

Is it possible to reduce the noise reduction and how this affects the pictures?

Thank You
  2. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    If you are shooting raw images, this is a moot issue. If shooting jpegs, then set NR as you wish.

• Like Like x 1
  3. daum

daum Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    I've owned both. The E-P5 is better for me because of the form. No hump, no protruding EVF. Plus, I like the styling of the E-P5. I didn't notice a difference in in IQ.

I won't even mind the hump of the EVF was flush to the body like the X-E1.
  4. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    Really, I cannot see much difference between the OMD EM5 and the EP5 results using that tool, but if you say the EM5 looks better then I'll buy that. In either case, you go into picture mode and there are sliders you can set to adjust contrast, sharpness, and saturation, as well as graduation. The Noise filter on the EM5 has low, standard, high, and off. This should be the same on the EP5.If you shoot in RAW, it's moot.
  5. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    I currently own both. For my uses the EP5 is better in terms of features. I like the omd handling better than the ep5 grip. I only shoot raw and I'm currently editing with lr5.2. Having said that and knowing that they use the same sensor, the files I'm getting from the ep5 are 'cleaner' than my omd even at base ISO. Also the vf4 is simply stunning. But when is mounted on the camera the overall is bigger than the omd.

That's my 2 cents.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. KBeezie

KBeezie Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    The only reason I may want the built in EVF is if I want to use a shoe-mount flash AND an EVF at the same time.

Far as raw I *think* Noise Reduction does still play a role with the raw file, not with only the jpeg. I mainly shoot raw+jpeg, an I do notice a diff (least on my E-P3) when turning off or on NR when it comes to long exposure, in terms of how much detail is retained after it does it's reduction period.
  7. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    As far as I understand it, Long Exposure NR is very different from Normal NR. In normal NR I would assume it doesn't affect RAW at all.

I had owned both at one point or another and I must say I prefer everything on the E-P5, things I appreciate are very very short shutter lag, better overall feel, awesome dial/button placements. The only con I could think of about the E-P5 is the clunkyness of using an EVF.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Mu-43 mobile app
  8. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

There are two things you can configure on the E-M5:
    1) Noise reduction - dark frame subtraction for long exposures, I leave this on AUTO so that it only engages for shots more than a few seconds long.
    2) Noise filter - mushes pixels, I turn it OFF completely and do chroma noise reduction in post. I don't do anything about luminance noise.

Given how similar these two cameras seem in many other respects, I wouldn't be surprised if you can configure the same on the E-P5 as well.

I was in a similar boat trying to decide between the two quite a few months ago, entering the MFT system with no lenses whatsoever. I was originally drawn to the E-P5 by the possibility of remote Wi-Fi shooting and focus peaking. When it turned out that the implementation of both were half-baked (i-Auto-only Wi-Fi and stills-only, laggy focus peaking), the lower price (compared to getting E-P5+VF-4), weather sealing, better ergonomics, and versatility of the 12-50 combo with the E-M5 won me over. Had I waited, I may have just picked up a GX-7 instead - in my mind this is the true competitor to the E-P5.
  9. seangong87

seangong87 New to Mu-43

Sep 19, 2013
    Is there significant improve in pic quality in E-P5?

10. Talanis

Talanis Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 15, 2012
    Sherbrooke, Canada
    Eric Cote
    None at all. Same sensor and processor.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Mu-43 mobile app