1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

EP-5: Does no one care about Wi-Fi?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by MarkRyan, Jun 5, 2013.

1. MarkRyan

MarkRyan Instagram: @MRSallee

May 3, 2013
    California
    There's a lot of talk of the EP-5's price and features versus the E-M5, which is at this point in its product life similarly priced to the new camera.

What surprises me is how little people seem to value the built-in Wi-Fi of the EP-5. It's an afterthought in a lot of conversations I've been lurking.

For me, the Wi-Fi is one of the biggest features. Over the years, I used my DSLR kit less and less and just used my iPhone for most photos. IQ is obviously not great, but I like the accessibility, the ease of editing and sharing. For me, micro 4/3 is a means of combining the IQ of DSLR and the accessibility of mobile shooting.

I have an Eye-Fi card in my GF3 and it does the trick, but is clumsy and not very quick to use. The EP-5's Wi-Fi looks perfect -- unless I've just done a Real Serious Photo Shoot, I'd really prefer to just process and share with my phone on the go. That's probably 90% of my photo-taking. And at feel like the EP-5's Wi-Fi opens up more opportunities than a built-in EVF (and besides, you can't get a Wi-Fi add-on for E-M5).

So it surprises me that, seemingly for most people talking cameras on forums and article comments, Wi-Fi is disregarded. Am I alone in valuing Wi-Fi so much? I understand it doesn't make pictures any better. But for me, it makes possible my ideal work flow. For me, it is a selling feature.

2. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    I am not sure the vast majority of M43 users care that much about wifi (or else they would already have a wifi card in their camera.)

I use wifi cards - have pretty much tried them all - and mostly use the 'eye-fi card'. If I had an EP5, I would still use an 'eye-fi' card because of all its extra 'push' functionality. Luckily the EP-5 still maintains compatibility with the 'eye-fi' cards.

To me the functionality of the EP-5 wifi is pretty similar to the Toshiba wifi card or EZ Share. Obviously you save yourself US$50 from the need to buy a wifi card but then again the EP-5 is priced at a considerable premium in any case.

3. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Daros
    I am very interested in the wireless remote control feature. I think it would be a great idea to do away with intervalometers and wire remote controls and have all that functionality built into an app on your smartphone. Reduces the amount of things you have to carry around with you (and possibly lose, as well).

The wifi image transfer is useful too, I guess, but personally I am not as interested in that portion of the WiFi features.

4. nsd20463

nsd20463 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 30, 2011
    Santa Cruz, CA
    I don't know about the EP5, but the latest Pannys use wifi for more than uploading images. The wifi + phone app let the phone associate with the camera and become a remote viewer and controler. That is really cool. It's like the LCD screen was detachable.

5. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Exactly :2thumbs: wifi is a very useful feature and make EVF or OVF and LCD useless. I am planning to use to extensively for many purposes .
    Cheers

6. slappy

slappy Mu-43 Regular

Jan 14, 2013
    Guildford, Surrey, UK
    I thought the wifi was only going to work for remote triggering using the I-auto setting?

But having the full settings available as an app with the phone as the lcd/viewfinder would be impressive.

7. RobartBenson

RobartBenson Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 1, 2013
    I guess I phone is a better alternative to digital cameras these days..it is easy editing and shooting capabilities makes it much easier to us than a digi cam..i have a i phone 4 and just loving it.

8. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    I couldn't care less about WiFi, unless I couldn't turn it OFF! Then I'd care because it would be a waste of battery life.

I have an EyeFi card for my E-M5, other than trying it ONCE I haven't used it.

9. Blastop

Blastop Mu-43 Regular

Jun 20, 2011
    I wa excited until I read that it only works in I-auto mode. That really bothers me.

10. Hagane

Hagane Mu-43 Regular

May 31, 2013
    Limburg, Netherlands
    Yes, precisely that also bothers me. I like the easy connect method via QR-code, but functionality seems pretty limited.
    Panasonic's implementation is better, there you can adjust nearly all parameters and the camera controlls remain active (EP-5 controlls are locked when in remote mode).

But it's the first time Olympus has implemented Wi-Fi, so it surely get's better over time (maybe even for the EP-5 via firmware updates).

11. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    I would appreciate this functionality, but it is not a huge selling point to me right now. I assume that over a generation or two most all cameras will have this feature set, and that it will be somewhat optimized by then.

12. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    I get as much satisfaction out of viewing my images (I only shoot Raw) on a computer and editing to get what I want as I do from the shooting stage.

Wifi in any guise means shooting JPEG and having limited editing capability before sending it electronically to end source.

Not for me as it kills an essential part of the photographic process - I do however like the idea of controlling the camera via Wifi instead of needing an attached release, it has many opportunities but apps are still limited to certain makes of phone ( no Blackberry version....yet).

13. jamespetts

jamespetts Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2011
    London, England
    I don't think that I'd use the wi-fi a great deal, since I like to use RAW mode and post-process the images properly, on a desktop computer with a large, calibrated monitor or two.

14. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I totally agree with Ian on this. I haven't spent the money I have on camera gear to shoot basic JPEGs sooc and then send them to photo sharing or social media sites. If I want to do that then I'll use a smartphone.

Having said that, I'd like wifi for:

- remote control from a smartphone
    - GPS tagging (using a smartphone as the GPS receiver)
    - downloading images to my PC - if it were fast enough

Battery life impact is also an issue of course and if it made a significant dent, I'd not use it at all.

15. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    The only reason I use my WiFi card is to ship a picture to someone in real time, e.g., "Hey Andrea, I'm at DisneyWorld and you're not and the here's the cool thing I'm doing now". The problem is the the iPhone itself is usually good enough for taunting purposes.

16. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    the 'lag' and refresh rate with wifi for remote viewing is a big issue... well at least it is in my experience with a GoPro... we are talking seconds rather than milliseconds, and i doubt that the E-P5 will really adress that in any significant way.

but I am always prepared to be surprised

K

17. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Could not care less about it! :D

18. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Daros
    I just think it would be cool to do group portraits with yourself included, and not have to run back and forth from the camera using the timer. Also, with the wifi LCD feed it would help so much with framing :) Definitely a huge plus for family outings and whatnot.

Also, timelapse and other remote shutter stuff just using my smartphone sounds real cool. Too bad it doesn't look like that functionality is built in to the new e-p5 app...

19. sammykhalifa

sammykhalifa Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 22, 2012
    Pittsburgh PA
    Neil
    Well that's just dumb.

20. brutto

brutto Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 17, 2011
    There's much truth in this :thumbup:

I'd just like to add that, for me at least, wifi (EyeFi) give me some of the benefits of tethering which I greatly miss with Olympus. What I do in the studio is shoot RAW plus small jpeg and have EyeFi send the jpegs to my mac or tablet so I can see and judge the shots fairly quickly. I then upload the RAWs and work on them later. It's a very imperfect substitute for proper tethering but it is better than nothing.