EP-3 + Wide angle lens

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by MexicoMik, Apr 14, 2012.

1. MexicoMik

MexicoMik Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2012
    Since I'm new to 4/3, anybody with some inside knowledge/educated guessing have an idea about whether Oly will ever make a wide angle prime? I'd love to have an 18 (35mm eq) or wider in a prime. I thought about the 9-18 but I would only shoot it at the "9" so it ends up being bigger than it needs to be for me. I have a Tokina 11-16 for my D7000 and I don't think it has taken a single shot in two years on other than "11" (Approx 17 in 35mm eq).

I may be be the only person looking for such a lens so I guess I can't expect Oly to make one just for me! But if they are looking at such a thing, it would affect how I might approach additional 4/3 lenses. Anybody heard anything re a prime wide micro 4/3 from Oly (or Panny)?

2. mnhoj

mnhoj There and back again

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    You are not alone. I'm very happy with my 7.5 Rokinon but a theoretical rectilinear 8mm 3.5 by Samyang for $350 could possibly replace the Rok. The 9-18 is actually pretty petite. It might just work for you.

Here it is with the 20mm.
    6808610563_e12cd350ca_b.

3. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    I doubt that Olympus or Panasonic will release any more ultra wide angle lenses. Your choices are the Panasonic fisheye, Samyang fisheye, Olympus 9-18mm, or Olympus 7-14mm. Try to realize that your apparent shooting style is very different from the average shooter. For example, even with all of the professionals shooting full frame, you see the Canon 16-35mm much more often than the 14mm L. With Nikon, if they had made their lens a 14mm prime instead of a 14-24mm, they wouldn't have sold nearly as many. If that Tokina 11-16mm were a fixed 11mm, you can bet that it would not have the following that it has today.

The Olympus 12mm is about as wide as they're going to go. That's just grazing ultra wide angle territory, and anything past that would be catering to too few people.

4. MexicoMik

MexicoMik Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2012
    That 9-18 is smaller than I thought - it would really be quite workable size-wise. Thanks for posting that pic with it next to the 20.

I don't have a prime in the 20-25 range yet either...I would have bought the panny 20 when I got the camera last month but they were out of stock at BH and still are.

Too many lenses to buy; so little money! ;)

5. speltrong

speltrong Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Northern California
    My 7-14 usually stays parked at 7, so I'd only consider giving that up for a 7mm rectilinear prime. I love that lens so much that I actually swapped my GF1 out for a GH2 in order to really effectively use it - being able to see what you're doing with an articulating screen and EVF makes a night and day difference with ultrawides. The GH2 is very well balanced with the 7-14 and makes a fantastic pair. Sure, I give up some portability, but the images I get are absolutely worth it IMO.

6. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    The 9-18 uses an extending mechanism (like the 14-42), so it can be stored pretty small. It's a fair bit larger when it's ready to use. See e.g. http://a.img-dpreview.com/news/1002/olympus/9-18-extended.jpg

DH

7. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    If you shoot RAW and use Lightroom, you can use one of the fisheye lens profiles and convert Rokinon image to rectilinear. Micro 4/3rds Photography: Defishing fisheye images

FWIW, I have the Sigma 10-20/4-5.6 that I use with my D7000 and the Olympus 9-18 is much sharper towards the edges and corners. It does have some CA, but that cleans up well in post.

8. songs2001

songs2001 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    It's possible M43 to get a ultra wide prime. They are fairly popular for rangefinder shooters.

You have the 15 voigtlanders, 18 Leicas, 16-18-21 Leicas etc...

I wouldn't be surprised to get something native by Cosina or a SLR magic, but I'd expect prices higher than than the Olympus, and probably manual focus.

Sigma also has the 8-16 they can re configure for m43, Sony Nex.

9. mnhoj

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    But all those translate with the 2x crop to 30-40mm equivalents and the 8-16 is very large.

10. vinay

vinay Mu-43 Regular

Mar 18, 2012
    Toronto
    If you like the wide side of the focal range, the 9-18 is a great walk around...

11. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Correct, I don't know why he lists those as ultrawide primes for us. The kit lens 14-42mm is wider than all of those lenses on our cameras. "Ultra wide" historically has been considered as 24mm equivalent or wider. I also agree that the Sigma 8-16mm won't likely be repurposed for m4/3, there would be zero reason to buy it over the Olympus 9-18mm, and as you mention, the Sigma lens is even larger than the Olympus, so even adapted it would be pointless in this conversation, as the OP clearly states size as an important consideration.

12. songs2001

Jul 8, 2011
    No, I'm saying there is a demand for for ultra wide angle primes. So Cosina will make a 10 mm lens for the m43, like they made a 17 and 25 lens for m43.

The 8-16 is very large, but if they remade it for the NEX, it'll get smaller.

13. songs2001

Jul 8, 2011
    They are not ultra wide for m43, they are ultra wide for full frame. A market you said doesn't exist. I listed those lenses to show otherwise.

14. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    I never said the market doesn't exist; I even specifically name a prime that is wider than all of your examples. I said that a bordering-on-fisheye ultrawide is very far from what the average shooter wants, and that a micro 4/3 native sub-10mm prime would cater to too few people to make it to development.

Also, you can't really list Leica mount products as what people want. Leica can make products with less regard to cost/profit analysis. They are catering to a niche market willing to pay a premium for their products; the rest of the camera companies don't quite have that luxury. Leica can also develop a manual focus camera in 2012 that will sell out.

15. mnhoj

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    I see. I'm so dense.

That would be great and very possible. Although, I think I would only be able to afford a Samyang version.

16. songs2001

Jul 8, 2011
    I thought I pointed that out, a m43 mount prime is possible but will be much more expensive than the 9-18 Olympus options.