EP-3, Viewer2: Noise processing done even when disabled

Phoque

Mu-43 Veteran
Hi,

I'm experiencing an infortunate problem with my EP-3.

1) I disable the two noise processing settings in the 'G' menu ( noise reduction & noise filter )
2) I shoot @ISO1600 and underexpose a night picture
3) I shoot RAW+JPEG
4) No SCENE, no ART Filter, Picture mode MUTED, sharp, contrast, etc at 0

The JPEG output shows bad mud spots of noise processing ( remember I disabled it? ).

It is also impossible to generate a nice JPEG ( I mean with uniform noise distribution ) through Viewer2 from the RAW image ( it always bear bad mud spots of noise processing ). I have to use another software ( Google Picasa ).

Please, I am not looking for photography advices (I know I would need them, but it is not the purpose of this post).

All I'm wondering is if other EP-3 users who have actually tried to reproduce the problem or experienced it could share their conclusion about that.

Hmm, it's my first post on this forum, I've tried to attach 3 pictures and they should be:
1) Screen capture of RAW file showing uniform noise
2) Screen capture of JPEG file showing mud spots of noise processing
3) Picasa converted RAW into JPEG showing the kind of noise distribution I am expecting when noise settings are disabled in 'out of camera' JPEG

Thanks

Attachments

• RAW-evenly-distributed-noise.jpg
    RAW-evenly-distributed-noise.jpg
    269.2 KB · Views: 223
  • mud-spot-like-noise.jpg
    mud-spot-like-noise.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 283
  • picasa-does-it-right.jpg
    picasa-does-it-right.jpg
    328.3 KB · Views: 275

Phoque

Mu-43 Veteran
Wow. Easy and painless. Sorry, I just had a very bad experience on another forum with too many elitist photographers trying to teach me a lesson and can't believe I've had such a quick and nice answers so quickly over here...

Thanks.

Gusnyc

Mu-43 Veteran
This is a whole different world... or forum, if you like. Amin does a great, fantastic job keeping this forum a friendly place. It is really special.

krugorg

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Wow. Easy and painless. Sorry, I just had a very bad experience on another forum with too many elitist photographers trying to teach me a lesson and can't believe I've had such a quick and nice answers so quickly over here...

Thanks.

:biggrin: Welcome to the user group, Phoque

Djarum

Super Moderator
Real Name
Jason
I've never seen this problem with my E-P1. This is a bug that should be brought up to Olympus so they can fix it. When I look at a Raw file with no NR from my E-P1, no NR is applied.

Phoque

Mu-43 Veteran
I've never seen this problem with my E-P1. This is a bug that should be brought up to Olympus so they can fix it. When I look at a Raw file with no NR from my E-P1, no NR is applied.

Yes, that's what I've read too.

E-P1 & E-P2: 'OFF' means 'OFF'

E-P3: 'OFF' means 'MAYBE'

I've reported the problem to Olympus. I'm waiting for an answer. I dearly wish they address it because it screws up most of my low light shots, though I could use a tripod and lower ISO instead. But I'm lazy and don't like to carry my tripod around.

krugorg

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I have seen it for low $200s, and there was a dealing floating around a week or two ago for $150. If you have a Mac, Aperture is available in the App Store for $79.99.

Phoque

Mu-43 Veteran
I see it at 209$ on Amazon USA, but they refuse to ship it to canada. That's one thing I'll never understand about economics: exchange rate has been hovering at around 1:1 between Can/US for several months now, but several products are much more expensive in Canada. And I wouldn't be surprised a lot of these products transit through Montreal, QC, Canada port (although perhaps not Lightroom)! On Amazon Canada, it's listed as 280$.

I've downloaded the Release Candidate you suggested. I'll try it and see if I'm ready to fork the money.

Thanks.

edit: oh, just seen some offers at 240$CAN. Hmm, tempting.

Latest threads

Top Bottom