1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

EP-3 Shutter Actuations How Too?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by BobBill, Nov 5, 2013.

1. BobBill

BobBill Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 29, 2010
    MN USA
    Bob Hively-Johnson
    I have yet to figure it out. Duh on me.

2. orchard county

orchard county Mu-43 Regular

Apr 11, 2013
    ireland
  3. BobBill

BobBill Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 29, 2010
    MN USA
    Bob Hively-Johnson
    Yes, thanks, it figures right?

I searched and fiddled for hour or two and found a number of responses, all for the ep-1 and 2. Do not work for 3...

I get to the certain point and the camera simply freezes.., in with the vivid/non vivid choice with three info lines, and then.have to shut down to get out of that mode.

Not super critical and camera functions fine.

4. RichardB

RichardB Snapshooter

Nov 19, 2012
    Maryland, US
    Richard
    The E-P3 looks a bit different because, when you get to the viewfinder brightness screen, the Info button has the effect of switching between Vivid and Natural display. It doesn't make any difference to the sequence, though. Here is the sequence I use:

1. While holding the Menu button, turn camera on. Continue holding Menu button until you see the normal shooting display, then release the Menu button.

2. Press Menu and go to the Wrench menu, then to the the "Monitor brightness adjustment" screen

3. Press Info then OK, you will see the screen showing "Olympus"

4. Press the following buttons on the dial in sequence: Up, Down, Left, Right. Then press the Shutter, followed by Up.

5. Engineering mode page is seen. Press dial buttons to Page 1, 2, 3, and "D".

6. Shutter count is on Page 2 (Right button on dial) under "R"

Page 2 codes:
    R: shutter release count
    S: flash use count
    C: CMOS cleaning mode (with mirror lock-up - in E-410 series)
    U: number of ultrasonic dedusting, ~ number of power switch on
    V: number of use of LiveView
    B: number of shot using In-Body Stablization
    L: unknown

• Like Like x 2
  5. BobBill

BobBill Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 29, 2010
    MN USA
    Bob Hively-Johnson
    I much appreciate your help. When I get to the screen showing "Olympus" the camera is frozen. No up, down, etc functions...nothing works save off. Will try again, however.

6. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    Hi
    This does work as described but you will need to follow the sequence very carefully and methodically
    It is easy to miss one of the commands by not pressing the appropriate button accurately and not get the display
    I have had to o through the sequence two or three times before getting he info up successfully just due to making mistakes on the sequence of commands

PS the lcd brightness is on the ' spanner' settings about thirds item down

7. RichardB

RichardB Snapshooter

Nov 19, 2012
    Maryland, US
    Richard
    Just a reminder, at the LCD brightness screen (step 3 above), press the Info button, then press the OK button in the center of the circular dial. (In case it wasn't clear what "OK" meant.)

8. BobBill

BobBill Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 29, 2010
    MN USA
    Bob Hively-Johnson
    Richard. Much thanks. Well, I followed the instructions with both EP-3 bodies, lenes attached. I get the the Olympus information screen...both freeze...no page two.I have done these so many times I have the sequence memorized. I know it worked on my EP-2.

I cannot get to the info screen without doing exactly as above. It seems the 3 in not the same as the 1 and 2 and even the later 5. Maybe that is why I do a search and find nada? Thanks, however.

9. RichardB

RichardB Snapshooter

Nov 19, 2012
    Maryland, US
    Richard
    Bob, my last suggestion is to make sure your camera has the latest firmware. The Olympus Digital Camera Updater program can check for available firmware and update your camera or lens for you if it isn't current. You can use the Olympus Digital Camera Updater directly or call it from the Update menu in Olympus Viewer.

10. BobBill

BobBill Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 29, 2010
    MN USA
    Bob Hively-Johnson
    Richard. I double checked and Oly software says latest version of firmware is installed. I will keep looking. Thanks.

11. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    The sequence described by RichardB has always worked for me on EM5, EPL1, EPM1, and also the XZ1. The OP is stuck at step 3 after the Oly Diagnostic screen appears? If the next button sequence up-down-left-right-shutter-up is not done in sequence, the screen does freeze. I am wondering if he pushed an extra button to get into step 3.

I found by accident that the following sequence also works on my cameras, I was trying to do it from memory and never pressed INFO from the brightness screen, but random arrows seemed to get me there (usually). I finally quantified it.

- Powerup with Menu button depressed and release it.
    - Use menu to go into the screen brightness mode. You see your last review shot plus the sliders.
    - Press two left arrows and then OK. You get the screen from step 3 above? (I do on EM5, EPL1, EPL5, but not XZ1).
    - Proceed as above.

12. RichardB

RichardB Snapshooter

Nov 19, 2012
    Maryland, US
    Richard
    Interesting, Harry. Inspired by your discovery, I experimented and found that I don't need to press either Info or Left Left! When I get to the LCD Brightness page, I just press OK, and the Olympus text appears. This is sufficient on both the E-P3 and XZ-1. Then I can press Up Down Left Right Shutter.

On the XZ-1, I then need to press Up before I can see any of the other info pages, while the E-P3 lets me go directly to any of the four info pages.

13. RichardB

RichardB Snapshooter

Nov 19, 2012
    Maryland, US
    Richard
    Bob, I'm starting to wonder whether there is something wrong with your camera's control dial. Could you confirm that the Up, Down, Left and Right buttons all work?

You might want to go into the menu and do a Reset. I'm not sure whether that would restore the dial to its defaults functions, but it's something to try.

14. BobBill

BobBill Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 29, 2010
    MN USA
    Bob Hively-Johnson
    I also have another site link that also sequences as you noted, so I must be goofin it up...will report.

Crazy....

15. BobBill

BobBill Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 29, 2010
    MN USA
    Bob Hively-Johnson
    Richard, coming back late to this...I have 2 EP-3s and both act the same way. I went to Oly and had just entered a negative response here...then fiddled with it following a different page of instruction and voila, it worked...must be me...and my dyslexic head.

Thank you one and all...

• Like Like x 1
  16. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    I can confirm that it works with the E-P5.

17. BobBill

BobBill Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 29, 2010
    MN USA
    Bob Hively-Johnson
    Yes, Magee...When I was doing it, I became hung up in the up, down area, when nothing would happen and might have forgotten the shutter button action too...but all good now.

Again, much thanks for help, and all y'all patience.