ep-3 screen problem??

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by sonsw87, Dec 6, 2011.

1. sonsw87

sonsw87 Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 6, 2011
    So my olympus ep-3 shows some wird orange lines in some situation. It only does this in one room so far which has fluorescent lighting. Also it only does it with bright background like one the wall or the withe table. Picture itself comes out fine. Anyone has any idea whats happening?

Attached Files:

2. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    I get that kind of effect on the screen when focussing on a TV scree. Like TV screens which refresh at so many times a second, fluorescent tubes are also switching on and off so many times a second, and the camera screen also has a refresh rate. I suspect the issue is caused because the refresh rate of the fluorescent tube/tv screen and that of the camera screen aren't synchronised. There's no refresh rate for the camera when recording an image so you don't get the same thing happening.

Bottom line: there's nothing wrong with your screen. That's just the way camera screens behave under some circumstances.

I sometimes think it would be nice to capture that effect in the actual picture but that can't be done apart from the way you just did it, photographing the screen of a camera while it's displaying the effect.
  3. c5karl

c5karl Mu-43 Regular

May 31, 2011
    Fairfax, Va., USA
    AC current in North America is 60 Hz, 50 Hz most other places, and there is a barely perceptible flicker from some flourescent tubes at this frequency. The LCD probably refreshes progressively at 30 or 60 fps, causing this striping effect. I'll bet you could capture this effect by setting your shutter to 1/30 or 1/60.
  4. htc

htc Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 11, 2011
    Don't worry, be happy. Your camera is working as it should be, it's the fluorescent lights that are faulty. From camera point of view anyhow ;-)