ep-2 vs. epl-2. what's your thought?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by ntishlias, Apr 12, 2011.

1. ntishlias

ntishlias Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 12, 2011
    Hello guys~!

I am trying to get my first 4/3rd camera.
    Between four Olympus models, I have narrowed down to ep-2 and epl-2.
    Currently, I am using canon 50d and leica d-lux3 to take photos of my kids.

Any suggestion?
    I would like to use a viewfinder instead of LCD screen and want to use different lenses that I have.

Please let me know you ep-2 and epl-2 users out there what you think of your experience with your camera.

Thank you all~! :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  2. everythingsablur

everythingsablur Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 4, 2010
    Toronto, ON
    If you are really keen on using the EVF instead of the LCD, why have you excluded the Panasonic GH2/G2/G10/G1? They use all the same m4/3 lenses and have an equivalent if not superior EVF built-in at no extra cost (and the VF2 is pretty pricey).

What lenses do you already have that you want to use with an m43 system? Bear in mind that EOS lenses are really not the best to mate with m43 because all Canon EF and EF-S lenses use an electronic aperture control instead of a manual/mechanical aperture control. Because of this, all of your Canon EF and EF-S glass needs to be shot wide open (or at whatever aperture you last left it set at when you yanked it off of your 50D).

Between the two you mentioned, I would have to go with the E-PL2. While I did own and loved the feel of the E-P2, the E-PL2 is newer and improves upon it in almost every way. Better LCD (one of my biggest gripes about the E-P1/P2), lighter AA filter, refined ergonomics, improved kit lens, built-in flash (use it or don't, it is handy to have), lighter, less expensive, supports SDXC, more future-proof as it has Oly's new AP2 port, etc.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    I have the EP2 and have used the EPL2 at the local store. I'd trade my EP2 for a EPL2 in a heart beat. I agree with what Everythingsablur said above re: the advantages of the EPL2 over the EP2. But I also add that IMO, it has better high ISO performance, and it definitely auto focuses faster.

Like Everythingsablur also said, don't forget the Panasonic G1/2/10 and GH1/2 if you want to use an EVF.

4. ntishlias

ntishlias Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 12, 2011
    I have some old manual focusing lenses that my husband's uncle has given to me. I figured I will try to use some of those lenses with new cam.

As far as GH2~G1...I just haven't thought about them. everywhere, people seems to be talking about olympus 4 3rd more than any other companies...
    Since you've brought it up, I guess I will go do some research.

any reasons that I should go with one of those G cameras instead of oly cams? (besides what you've mentioned)

• Like Like x 1
  5. ntishlias

ntishlias Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 12, 2011
    PL2...hum....
    I will check out the G cams tonight and make a decision.
    Thank you...

BTW, you use M9? How is it?
    I used to own M3...Miss the little(!) guy...:frown:

• Like Like x 1
  6. linkedit

linkedit Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2010
    New Jersey, USA
    The E-P2 is almost $800 right now. You can get the E-PL2 for $549. The E-P2 is built a little better but not $250 better.

• Like Like x 2
  7. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    In a pinch, from data sheets and specs : the e-pl2 can do everything an e-p2 does. Some of those things, it does slightly better and/or faster, but it never falls behind under any circumstance.

E-p2 pros : metal outer shell, one thumb roller knob more (can be an important ergonomic advantage).
    E-pl2 pros : newer, cheaper, likely to retain better resale value for some time, lighter, more art filters, better (faster) processor, better kit zoom, faster AF, lighter AA filter, onboard flash, upgraded hotshoe socket to plug more electronic accessories (some incompatible with the e-p2), kit zoom compatible with optical extenders (e-p2 kit zoom still MkI, incompatible version). Etc.

Need i say more ?

Cheers,

• Like Like x 1
  8. The Olympus m4/3 line-up is a bit unbalanced at the moment. The E-PL2 added a couple of features which previously set the E-P2 apart, namely a control wheel and 1/4000 min shutter speed. Add a higher-res LCD and an on-board flash to that and I'd find it hard to pick the E-P2 over the E-PL2.

• Like Like x 3
  9. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    I think the relevant question is, should the OP get an e-pl2 now or wait for the release of an hypothetical e-p3, which would retain at least the build quality of the 2 and bring the electronics to a higher level than the e-pl2 ?

I'd say it depends a lot on what one believes Olympus strategy is going to be concerning the regular 4:3 format. If Olympus still sees a mid-term future to 4:3 in terms of profitability, they will hold back on the e-p3 specifications to keep it firmly in check right in the middle of the amateur market and still lure the 'best' buyers into the 4:3 realm.

On the other hand, if Olympus realize 4:3 is doomed in the short term, they may very well pack a surprise into the e-p3 to turn it into a real 'pro' camera, and therefore end the 4:3 SLR development - but this will come at a price.

At the moment, I'd say from the released :43: lenses so far that Olympus is still in the strategy to have :43: addressing mid amateur market and regular 4:3 targeting the high end. Unlike Panasonic lineup, no Olympus :43: lens can yet be considered 'pro'. So unless Olympus announces true 'pro' primes or zoom (fast, constant aperture, etc.), I'd go for the e-pl2 now because this hypothetical e-p3 is unlikely to be earth shattering, just an incremental step over the e-p2.

Just my opinion,

Cheers,

• Like Like x 2
  10. everythingsablur

Aug 4, 2010
    Toronto, ON
    Really? Much of the recent m43 press I've been seeing is how the GH2 is right up there as one of the top entry to mid-level DSLRs available, along with the standard fare from Canon and Nikon. The GH2 is THAT good.

Reasons to consider the G-series? Video recording. Hands down trounces Olympus' offerings on codec alone. Oly can only record in M-JPEG and is thus limited to about 7 minutes per recording (about 2 GB in file size). Panny's (save the G1) all record in AVCHD Lite (as well as M-JPEG if you want), which can run the length of your card. On my lowly GF1, that's over 2 hours at the highest quality. And that says little of all of the other video features like bitrates, manual controls, and whatnot. Then again, maybe you aren't a video person.

Other reasons... Swivel LCD screens. Higher resolution/faster refreshing EVF (on the GH2 and maybe the G2). Multi-aspect sensor (GH2), more resolution (GH2), better ISO sensitivity and dynamic range (GH2), shot buffer, etc...

Don't get me wrong, this is by no means a landslide "you should buy a Panny", I just want you to see both sides of the house before jumping straight to an Oly (which are fantastic in their own right!).

Rumour has it Panasonic will unveil the G3 next month which will be the new generation still image camera (whereas the GH2 is a solid video/stills hybrid).

• Like Like x 1
  11. 2ndname

2ndname Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 10, 2010
    Well said mauve! As an owner of an E-P2 I have been second guessing my gear and am thinking about moving over to a cheaper E-PL2. The LCD on the E-P2 is usable but disappoints. I myself do not use a viewfinder so I'm stuck on a low res screen. E-PL2 is a better buy IMO.

• Like Like x 3
  12. linkedit

linkedit Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2010
    New Jersey, USA
    If the decision has anything to do with price, go with the PL2. *If* an E-P3 does indeed come out and it is truly a follow up to the E-P2 it will go for well over $1000US. Whereas the PL2 is only $549. right now.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    The M9 gives amazing detail in a relatively small sized camera. Manual focus can be a drag though if I'm in a hurry.

14. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    My suggestion would be to 'aim' to buy Olympus e-pL2 & EVF and find/buy a used Lumix G1 body so you can try out manual-focus on m4/3rds+EVF for a cheapo price.
    You never know : the EVF might not suit you, or it might.

• Like Like x 1
  15. bellyface

bellyface New to Mu-43

Apr 4, 2011
    Well, the OP is wanting an evf, no LCD so it's basically a g1/g2. The e-p2 would need the evf accessory. The e-p2 also has no flash. If you want a pen the clear choice would be the e-pl2. It has a built in flash, better iso, better LCD, you would still need the accessory evf. I'm really happy with my e-pl2, I shoot with a Nikon d3 as well.

• Like Like x 1
  16. alessandro

alessandro Mu-43 Regular

Jan 29, 2010
    This makes the choice simpler: if you want ibis, you have to get oly.
    Now I have settled for a two bodies setup, one Olympus and one Panasonic.
    Panasonics are "snappier", Olys have got ibis. Here's my list:
    Best cam around in this moment: GH2
    Snappiest and most usable compact: GF1
    Best all-around at the cheapest price: E-PL2
    Most beautiful: E-P1, E-P2

If you use RAW, you are not going to find any IQ difference but in the GH1-GH2.

17. everythingsablur

Aug 4, 2010
    Toronto, ON
    Or you get a tripod/monopod, depending on the type of photography you are using the manual lenses for.

• Like Like x 1
  18. ntishlias

ntishlias Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 12, 2011
    I envy you!

• Like Like x 1
  19. ntishlias

ntishlias Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 12, 2011
    Ok, first of all...what is ibis?

I have Canon 50D and some lenses to go with it. I just find hard to lug around with it, especially with CT I have.
    So, I am trying to find a camera that is compact enough but can give me a good quality photos like my 50D.

Any suggestion?

Goodness, though you have said quite simply, that's just too much of choice for me to pick from! :wink:

20. ntishlias

ntishlias Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 12, 2011
    Sorry for asking this, but what is EVF? :confused: