EP-2 painted body ?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by razumoff, Feb 14, 2010.

1. razumoff

razumoff Mu-43 Rookie Charter Member

Jan 31, 2010
    France, Paris
    Hi all,

Did you see this thread ? :
    http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1041&thread=34471923

I wanted to ask to the EP-2 owners if they noticed this or anything failed in the layer on their body ? May be the EP-1 is of the same layer ?
    If there is a failure with the layer ( I thought the body was anodized...) I would prefer to order for the Japan silver EP2 ?

Thanks you very much

Kind regards

2. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    I think that if you go for the black pearlescent E-P2, you should either look for a leather protective case or be prepared to pick up scratches on the paint finish.

Having said that, the linked problem - with paint peeling off looks like a clear case of manufacturing defect. I would send it back and expect for it to be replaced.

Cheers

Brian

3. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    thats a coatings failure plain and simple , i would expect a replacement too

the ep1 silver i own has a clear lacquer, probably acrylic bases over the brushed stainless
    front \sides and the top bottom seem to be sandblasted stamped aluminum perhaps anodized

4. razumoff

razumoff Mu-43 Rookie Charter Member

Jan 31, 2010
    France, Paris
    Thank you very much,
    Anyway, I think, and I only use Olympus camera (E3, E1, E330), that for this price, it's quite a cheap body, don't you think ?
    I'll certainly buy a Pen but... I'm just thinking about this.
    Anyway it seems quite rare.
    Thanks for sharing

Kind regards

5. Chow Monkey

Chow Monkey Mu-43 Regular Charter Member

Must be the black coating. I don't have this problem with my silver E-P1.. And trust me. I took it to the amazon rainforest for 3 months.. No issues at all..

• Like Like x 4